[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going backpacking for the first time around Europe and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 620x387
I'm going backpacking for the first time around Europe and I was wondering if it's safer to keep valuables on you in a backpack or something, or to just leave them behind in a luggage at the room of the hostels I'll be staying at. The rooms will probably be dormitory style, but I'm traveling with friends so there won't be any strangers. Have any of you ever had something stolen from you while staying at a hostel?
>>
Europe is big and there is no general rule. Usually there are lockers. In most of western Europe this is safe enough. Putting anything valuable in a backpack is the worst idea. Anywhere, even at home. A smart person would not carry a fortune around while travelling. All you need is passport, bank card, phone and some money. All of this would fit in your pocket.
>>
>>1122819
Would it make sense to carry 2 different wallets, one very hidden with most important stuff like passport, and another one with a bit of money and maybe my drivers license?

Im going to Prague, first time travelling alone and Im a bit paranoid
>>
>>1122819
>Putting anything valuable in a backpack is the worst idea
Is it really? It seems like it'd be easier to reach into someone's pocket than to unzip a bag.
>>
>>1122875
Your back pocket is as bad as a backpack. Front pocket is way safer. A smaller purse in a deep front pocket is nearly inaccessible. Especially in a tight jeans. You would feel it as much as someone trying to grab you balls.
>>
>>1122254

Literally 90% of dorms have lockers. Throw your credit cards, passport and any other valuables in there. Simple.

No need for two wallets. No need for fucking fanny packs. Or "traveler" belts. Or any other fucking gimmicks. Just carry enough cash for the day/night. Simple.

Have never had any issues or anything stolen in 3 years of backpacking Europe/Asia.
>>
File: ChzvI3qUYAAvMUF.jpg (37 KB, 555x640) Image search: [Google]
ChzvI3qUYAAvMUF.jpg
37 KB, 555x640
On travel days, I carry my passport, credit cards, and large bills in a money belt and keep a little bit of currency in my pockets for easy access. Once I get to hostel I just get a feel from the place. Most hostels I feel safe leaving my stuff in a locked room and individual locker, I just leave it there and carry around cash and 1 form of ID when I go out and about. Never had any major problems.
>>
>>1122926
>Literally 90% of dorms have lockers. Throw your credit cards, passport and any other valuables in there. Simple.
That's comforting. Bless whoever invented lockers.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.