[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/ i'm making the move to Montreal from Florida in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: 2015.08.15_montreal-banner.jpg (139 KB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
2015.08.15_montreal-banner.jpg
139 KB, 960x400
Hey /trv/ i'm making the move to Montreal from Florida in a couple of months for work, what should I expect and any tips for how the city is, what to avoid and stuff like that
>>
What's you line of work/company?
>>
Speak french?
>>
I'm a concept artist and my french isn't that good
>>
I live in montreal, have been for years.
Lots of trees, everywhere.
Lots of parks, hard cold winters, hot summers, english ppl mostly live on south shore, which is a part of montreal. That and rich neighborhoods like westmount.

Otherwise its french.
The rest of Quebec (province) is french. Especially the city of Quebec and the small rural cities like Saguenay.
>>
>>1121149
Different person here, thought u'd ask here then elsewhere.

As part of a layover I was thinking of staying at either Montreal or Toronto for 2 nights. I've had a quick research into both, but I van't decide between the 2. I was leaning towards Montreal because of the yurop vibe but travel was going to be longer to get there.

Any ideas when choosing between the 2?
>>
>>1121149

Expect: Cold winters, really cold winters. French people. Knowing french isn't a must, but it will help you out a lot. Most of the population in Montreal speak English fairly well if not perfectly. Explore downtown, the old port etc. There's quite a bit to see for the first month or so, then you'll most likely stick to bars. If you're into local music, there's a shit ton of bands from folk to metal and everything in between. If you like to go out drinking and want mostly English crowds visit bars around ''Guy Concordia, Peel and Mcgill'' metro stations. If you want French, go ''Berri-Uqam, Sherbrooke and Mont-royal''. Those are not the only places, but they are the popular spots.

Avoid: (google this) Montreal Nord. Saint Leonard and some parts of Saint Laurent past 1 am. Specially around Cremazie and Saint-Michel metro stations, but desu I doubt you will ever go to those places.

Be careful around downtown at night, it is safe, but have common sense. Don't insult people, be friendly and people will treat you nicely.
>>
>>1121436
>>1121488
Good to know also Saint Leonard and Laurent past 1 are hey just shitty areas? The metro makes sense but are the places you mentioned ghetto as fuck?
>>
Protip: even if you don't speak French very well, people will be much warmer to you if you attempt to speak a bit of it (e.g. greetings, pleasantries), even if you think you sound horrible (you probably don't desu).

Source: am frog.
>>
>>1121541
I'll brush up on my French, thanks dude.
>>
>>1121475
>yurop vibe
>Montreal
>a city in North America
when will this meme die.

Montreal is American as fuck, they just happen to speak French. Is Mexico City a European city because Spanish is a 'European' language? You'll make a lot of Quebecfags cringe by saying that.
>>
>>1121546
Against Toronto, pretty much any city could have a yurop vibe.
>>
>>1121547
Toronto, a city with the largest Italian population outside Europe. And huge Greek, Balkan and Russian populations. One of the few cities in North America that major streets will shut down after big wins in the World Cup or Euro Cup.

Anyway, it's not really about Toronto at all. The point is North American = American cities.
>>
>what should I expect

A French-speaking Cleveland with less things to do.
>>
>>1121149
YO IM FROM FLORIDA GOING TO MONTREAL ALL MONTH lets hang 954 squad
>>
>>1121618
Aw shit my man are you going this month?
>>
>>1121623
june 12th to the 28th, staying at a hostel downtown
>>
>>1121541
The converse of this is that they are assholes to you if you dont speak french.

Source, lived in montreal for six months.
>>
Can i ask how hard it is to find a bar job as an English speaker there? My French is intermediate/rusty as I was in French immersion when I was a kid. I love Montreal and have been thinking of moving there white a lot but I don't want to be unemployed while I take French classes to brush up.

I have a decent vocabulary but my conjugations are shit. I'm a Toronto native and I'm so much more similar to Montreal people.

Also, any of you guys catch the Ragnar exhibition at the contemporary art museum there? It was so beautiful :')
>>
>>1121653
This. Even if most people understand and speak English well, they'll refuse to talk to you in English if you don't talk to them in French. I've had multiple experiences going to stores and fast food places where I order my shit in English and they'll just reply to me in French until they either get annoyed that I'm not speaking French or I tell them that I don't speak French. What's most stupid is some public buildings like libraries or places where I had to get legal documents, the people working there simply refused to speak to me in English. Not only that but they'll be straight up rude to you when they see you don't speak the language. Perhaps a lot of people will tell you that the thing with the language is not a big issue and it might just be that I've gotten unfortunate but there's a reason why they've tried to separate the province from the rest of Canada or why they have some ridiculous language laws (fines for businesses with English names and other crazy shit) or why it is so easy for some people/families to get visas to live in Quebec and live off the government while being jobless and just popping out kids while other people with degrees and money can't get in because they don't speak French.
>>
So much bullshit in this thread. Ask yourself why so many canadians and americans want to move to Montreal.

Hint: preserving our unique french-based culture might have something to so with it.

If you don't believe me then just move to any other anglish-speaking city and stop trying to make us live like the rest of North America.
>>
>>1121546
More refering to old montreal, whereas toronto looks more like a souless concrete jungle
>>
>>1121773
>why so many canadians and americans want to move to Montreal.
But they don't. Montreal is a shrinking city.

>make us live like the rest of North America.
You already do, you just speak a sort of funny French while doing it.

>MON EXCEPTIONNALISME!
>>
>>1121791
Don't judge a book by it's cover, anon.

You either haven't been to Toronto, or you failed really hard when you came here.
>>
>>1121793
belief is the starting point of actual differentiation.

you wouldn't say that about an arab who goes around germany raping women. you'd say "he's just like us."

seems to people like you differences don't exist as an ontological category. maybe that's what someone believes when someone smokes too many drugs?
>>
>> 1121149
Vive le Québec . Ils sont les seuls à garder l'Amérique du Nord d'être tous parler anglais, ou pire tout hispanophone ! Ils ne devraient même pas permettre aux gens de visiter Québec à moins qu'ils démontrent qu'ils peuvent parler parfaitement le français en premier.
>>
>>1121795
I haven't, thats why I was asking.
>>
>>1121773
>Ask yourself why so many canadians and americans want to move to Montreal.

I've never met anyone that wanted to move to Montreal.
>>
>>1121806
Try actual logic some day instead of memetacular ad hominems, bro.

Your rapefugee analogy makes no sense, but we get it... you don't like Arabs.

This may sound strange, but I've also never done any illicit substances in my life. Keep fishing.

Quebecfags like to think they're totally different... besides language, the usual cultural gradient differences... they're really quite similar to other Canadians, and Americans for that matter. I'd never ever mistake a Quebecfag for a 'European', which I am.
>>
>>1122060
here's a group of people

an american, a bc canadian, a texan, a quebecois, a muslim in france, a muslim suicide bomber in france, a muslm suicide bomber in syria, a muslim suicide bomber in syria from france

tell me who is "different' and who is "not different" which is a binary ontlogical category.
GOOD LUCK.

it's quite clear you're an idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about. YOU don't get to decide who is different and hwo is similar. FORCING a group of people to be "like you" is just as racist as me saying I hate arabs. the mestizos in ecuador, for example, said to the quechua "you're just like us, you're not any diferent." was it aggresive? maybe. did they end up taking the quechua reservation land, you betcha.

you don't get to tell another group of people who they are, thanks.
>>
>>1121756
This guy. Many people will start talking to you in English if they detect an English accent. To the point that some people complain that they can't learn French because people talk to them in English all the time.

>muh civil servants don't speak english
The provincial government is French, deal with it. If I go to Alberta I don't expect to be able to deal with their government in French.

>muh fascist language laws
There's no law against businesses with English names. Although a lot of people pretend that they're being oppressed by the existing laws.

>>1121732
Not very easy I think. Bar jobs (or any service job really) will usually require you to interact with French speakers daily. But that's also highly area-dependent.
>>
>>1122090
lel, you sure are one salty insecure inbred tree farmer. Get over yourself, fuckwit.

First, you need to work on your English. If you think using Phil 101 words makes you sound intelligent, or makes your wild disjointed 'arguments' more solid, you are sadly mistaken.

>you don't get to tell another group of people who they are, thanks.
Pot, kettle, black. I'll remember that next time I hear some buttmad little Quebefag hurfing and durfing about "lol, Toronto is 100% American!!" or telling me, a Eurofag, that he's just like me (in other words saying Europeans are just like Quebecfags). You're not. It goes both ways, moron.

Let's remember what started your hissy fit: Quebec is not European in the slightest. Stay mad.

Now are all people in Quebec retarded, or is it just you? I can understand why the rest of Canada hates you...
>>
>>1122111
man you would do the world a favor by killing yourself. christ
>>
>>1122096
>There's no law against businesses with English names. Although a lot of people pretend that they're being oppressed by the existing laws.
That is willful misrepresentation of what the law is, and you know it. Use of written languages other than French within a premises is severely limited. And YES there are inspectors who check it, as if there weren't more important things like inspecting all Montreal's lovey concrete falling off infrastructure that keeps crushing people.
>>
>>1122114
of all the examples of canadian wasteful government spending, I think the language inspectors have got to be among the least wasteful.

you should take a look into the salaries paid to public employees, or the way medical billing works. 50% of the budget goes to a combination of subsidized medical and benefits.
>>
>>1122113
Quebecfag rhetorical skill at work everyone. Can't respond? Don't worry, we'll wait patiently while finish sniffing your bag of glue and craft a well reasoned response...

Quebec = Not European in the slightest. Deal with it.
>>
>>1122114
I said that the law doesn't prevent a business from having an English name, which is true. It's also true that "use of other languages is severely limited", if you say that "having to have a more visible version in French" is limiting. As for the inspectors, they work mainly on a complaint basis, that is they'll go check out a place if someone calls them. They don't literally go around every single shop with their measuring tapes looking for offending English words, unlike what some hysterical idiots would have you think.

>>1122122
Surely you will agree that as a European, your perspective on North America is not the same as someone who was born there. I don't know anyone who'd claim that Quebecfags are literally European, but anyone who's lived there should know that they're not the same as Canadians and Americans.
>>
I know it is sort of a meme here that any thread about a city in Canada degenerates into shit very quickly, but Hell, this is ridiculous.

This is not /b/, this is not /pol/, this is /trv/. Try to post accordingly -- if you can't do that, try not to post at all.
>>
>>1122122
I'm not from quebec. furthermore, you're an idiot because as you acknowledged earlier, canadians are the same as a quebecois, but so is a muslim suicide bomber. idiots like you are literally incapable of recognizing difference. I'm hateful and prejudiced because I categorize a muslim suicide bomber as different from us.

that already tells me a lot about your thought process. you people love punching down. you probably shit on the scotland or catalonian independence movement as well. whatever. have fun rubbing your 2 iq digits together.
>>
>>1122123
I've been to Canada numerous times because I have family there, and to Quebec quite often as well. I've worked and studied in Canada. I certainly know more than the average American, and feel fully qualified to opine on Canadian matters. Come at me.

From your perspective, perhaps think "gee, so different! totally European". And I'm saying, from my perspective, they are totally American ("North" American if you prefer, not to get you too assblasted). I already mentioned a cultural gradient (look it up if that's too big a word), and never said everyone was 100% identical everywhere, durrrrrr. I said that Quebecfags are not as different as they like to think. Your 'insider' perspective clouds your judgment, tied up as it is with internal politics. Mine is not. Quebecfags are just another variation on Canadian, and painfully obviously so. They are not more exceptionally different (despite what they like to think) than Newfies or hippies on Saltspring Island. A Quebecker would never ever be mistaken for a European here in Europe. Nor did Montreal or a couple other cities in Quebec I went to even remotely confuse me for being in Europe. Not even once. It's ridiculous, a level of facepalm in line with "My great-grandma was 1/4 Irish, so I'm Irish! Up the RA!!" memes.

>>1122125
>but so is a muslim suicide bomber.
lel. Where did this nonsense come from? Cut it with the strawman bullshit. It's you who really needs to stop with YOUR idiocy. It's a sign of poor (or no, really) rhetorical skill to put words into others mouths, only to tear them down. Srsly? Pathetic. Whatever point you're trying to make is hampered by the fact you are retarded and can't string together a proper sentence. Put the bag of glue down and clear your mind before posting again. Hilarious how wildly wrong you are trying categorize me. I'm embarrassed for you, really, please stop.
>>
>>1122298
why do americans always talk like its a fucking essay online. I'm a native English speaker so I understand what you said...but it's a fucking travel forum with international people. It's like how when you're traveling and you should adjust your word choices for non-fluent speakers. It's such an American thing to not do
>>
>>1121773
your a dorable
>>
>>1122327
he's an idiot but you need to shut up. if a person is on an international english site he should welcome the opportunity to improve his english.

the rest of the world isn't so inferior that english speakers need to neuter themselves to bring it down to their level on a forum designed for engliah, you dickhead
>>
>>1122327
I'm not American. If you followed the thread more than 10 seconds, I only said about 50 times that I'm a Eurofag.

But thanks, I guess, for the compliment. I'm replying to one raging retard. I don't care if you read it or not, and it's not my problem if you have the attention span of a goldfish, and all the intelligence of one too...
>>
OK /trv/, American on a Canadian work permit here, help a guy (not the OP) out a bit and it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to hijack the thread but I do have some questions that are on topic. Tripcode solely for this thread to avoid confusion w/ OP

>>1121225
>What's you line of work/company?
software/prefer not to say

>Speak french?
Zero

>>1121436
>cold winters
fuck. everyone has been telling me about the negative forty winters
>>centigrade or Fahrenheit
>it's about the same

>>1121488
>Avoid: (google this) Montreal Nord. Saint Leonard and some parts of Saint Laurent past 1 am. Specially around Cremazie and Saint-Michel metro stations, but desu I doubt you will ever go to those places.
where in Saint Laurent is bad? I usually end up at work in Saint Laurent within normal business hours but there are potential occasions where I could be in the area that late.

>>1121541
I've been trying to say bonjour and merci just for the token effort, followed quickly up by english so it doesn't go into a full conversation where they think I'm a french speaker

>>1121653
most people were nice to me but I go to restaurants, hotels, and airports, basically the service industry where you having money = good treatment

>>1122114
the infrastructure is fucking horrible and the drivers baffle me. it's like a combination of florida and new york drivers in the worst possible way: sudden lane changes and going over the line with zero signals.
>CIRCULATION FLUIDE
why can't the road signs be in english too
>>
>>1122722
>why can't the road signs be in english too
Because English is not an official language in Quebec. Simple as that.
As a pro-bilingual quebecfag I can't say I agree with it but good luck convincing people otherwise.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.