[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Must see/do in Japan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Château_de_Himeji01.jpg (1 MB, 2590x1697) Image search: [Google]
Château_de_Himeji01.jpg
1 MB, 2590x1697
So I'm heading to Japan for a couple of weeks this summer. What are some must see/do things while there?

Keep in mind that I'm not an otaku/weeaboo. I'm much more interested in historical and generally odd cultural things.

Things like the Jigokudani Monkey Park where they bathe in hot springs. Shit we just don't have in the west.
>>
Kyoto 17 July or 16 August.
I would like to hear if you enjoyed the trip because I'm such in love with Japan
>>
I am also in love with elephants if you care
>>
>>1121097
I happen to be an elephant myself, wanna cyber?
>>
>>1121096

What happens on July 17th?
>>
>>1121090
Look into a Japan rail pass as your means of transport they must be bought before you enter Japan, but if travelling around they are good value and easier than trying to drive.

The "three wise monkeys" temple in Nikko is worth a visit both to see the originals and the temple complex is good while the surrounding area has some worthwhile scenery.

Jigokudani is great in the snow in winter when the monkeys are in the baths to stay warm. In the summer not so much. I would suggest some more research before you go. If you do go, the Ryokan just handy to the monkey pool is worth the effort of walking your gear in for the stay.

A trip round Mt Fuji is great. It can be done as a round trip in a day by a combination of means of transport - train, cable car and lake steamer all with super scenery on a Hakone ticket (or japan rail pass). No need for an organised tour.

Kyoto has lots of temples and again is worth a visit.

Kabuki theatre qualifies as on odd cultural experience. I've visited the one in Tokyo and really enjoyed it: http://www.kabuki-bito.jp/eng/contents/theatre/kabukiza.html

Harajuku in Tokyo for the girls dressed in odd cultural ways, and for traditional culture a superb shrine and a good walk in the park the Meiji shrine just by Harajuku is both a good visit and an interesting contrast.
>>
>>1121090
So I don't know about must-see/do things, but I am planning a similar trip with similar motivations as you, but for next summer. Some of the possibilities on my itinerary as of now are:

Okimurishima (or something like that): An island in Hiroshima Prefecture where thousands of rabbits roam around waiting for you to feed them. There's also an abandoned WW2-era chemical weapons plant there.

Fox village: Like the rabbit island, but with foxes in a village called Miyagi.

Deer villages: Okay, so not really villages, but the same idea as the other two animals, but with deer. You can get this experience on Miyajima Island near Hiroshima and at Nara.

Alpine Route: A pretty excellent-looking trip through the mountains from near Matsumoto to Toyama by bus, rope car, and foot. Best in winter, apparently, but still beautiful in summer from what I've seen.

Mt. Koya: Has the largest graveyard in Japan and is apparently awesome to walk around

Robot Restaurant in Tokyo

Suicide Forest near Mt. Fuji: A great place to end your trip
>>
>>1121090
Go to Akihabara.

Become a weeaboo.

Come home.

Watch anime.
>>
>>1121671
Went to Koya on my trip to Japan. It was probably the only thing I did that I would say was not worth it. After having already stayed in ryokan and seen a number of temples and shrines, this had little more to offer (aside from a very large cemetery). It was also a pain to get to.
>>
Akihabara is worth checking out even if you aren't into otaku/weeaboo stuff. You can take the train there and walk around for even a couple hours and see a lot of interesting "only in Japan" stuff.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.