[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roadtrip Route 66
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Roadtrip.jpg (765 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Roadtrip.jpg
765 KB, 1920x1200
Going to do the Route 66 roadtrip in a couple of months.

I've found a shitload of info already.
Anything you guys might add.

What to see and what to avoid? Any neighbourhoods I should NOT visit?

Doing it in 21 days from Chicago to LA.

Cheers!
>>
>route 66 in july

yeah, that isn't a terrible idea.
>>
>>1120997
Stay in the Wigwam motel. There's one in CA and one in AZ. The Blue Swallow motel in NM is great too. You'll most likely need to book ahead for all of those.

Assuming you're doing the entire route, get the "turn by turn" guide book.
>>
>>1121012
I feel like I made a huge mistake now?

>>1121110
Thanks for the tips!
>>
>>1121012
It's this guy again. this guy believes july temperatures are the same as the surface of the sun. Stay inside you ginger faggot
>>
>>1121147
I took it as meaning it's going to be crowded
>>
June temps allright?
>>
>>1121160
I don't think the temperature is that big a problem - and this is coming from a Britbong. I went in May/June, finishing in LA early July, and it was fine.
>>
>>1121147
nope, somebody else. i just think there are more enjoyable times of year to visit arizona. sorry my opinion triggers you. i'll be sure to post a trigger warning next time. faggot.
>>
>>1121180
Aight!

I'm having trouble finding stuff (I have found some stuff to visit tho) to visit up untill Oklahoma... I have the feeling things get better near the west-coast.
>>
>>1121012
I did route 66 in july with no A/C
please fight me.
>>
>>1120997
There's a paid app that has all the maps and stuff that was really useful. I can't remember the name of it.
>>
>>1121217
Actually there's a ton of stuff in there, but it's just a lot of small things. When you think of route 66, most of the stuff that actually looks like that still are before New Mexico. After that, it's hard to get away from the freeway.
In Illinois, you should eat corn dogs and this big messy plate of fries thats from there.
There's Henry's Rabbit Ranch too.
Missouri has this part that is an old abandoned freeway that was pretty cool to drive on. Also the biggest rocking chair in the world and some quaint motels.
Oklahoma has this giant whale and Some stretches of the original 1920s pavement.
Make sure you read Grapes of Wrath before you go. It made it a lot more enjoyable feeling connected to history of the road.
>>
>>1121237
and people visit alaska in the winter. i never said it was impossible. but there are undeniably more comfortable times of year to do it.
>>
File: 1458276736997.gif (2 MB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
1458276736997.gif
2 MB, 300x315
>route 66
>21 days
>mfw

are you 65 years old, just retired, and want to get the kicks you missed out on as a youth?

take 3 days to drive rte 66, 15 days from la to seattle, then 3 days on i-90 back to chicago.
>>
>>1121320
Im 29. Why rush it.. I just want to explore the usa. First visit there. What better way than chilling it. :)
>>
>>1121378
You will love it. Every small business on the route has somebody working there that will talk for hours if you let them.
>>
>>1121378
because it's become a stupid gimmick route connecting podunk towns and has no real attraction outside its history of being "route 66". as a 29 year old from chicago your going to be bored out of your gourd within the first 200 miles.
>>
Check out St. Louis.
Shit time of awesome free stuff to do, one of us best zoos it's free. Also check out forest park, delmar loop, neighborhoods :central west end, soulard, Benton park, Lafayette square, lacledes landing, the grove, Cherokee street. Eat some good fooddrink some beers.
Also springfield mo has a pretty cool small city downtown it's a college town within the small city so cool bars and stuff to do an they absolutely love the history of Rt66 they just built a lame ass roadside park for ppl driving Route 66, big mistake in my opinion. But for bars/ food check mothers brewery, springfield brew co, Patton alley pub, skinny slims.

Chicago had a lot of cool neighborhoods.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.