[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/trv/ by train
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: thailand-train-on-old-track.jpg (83 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
thailand-train-on-old-track.jpg
83 KB, 480x320
What are some long (1+ days) train trips you've taken? (preferably non-European)

Would you do it again?
>>
Washington, DC to Seattle, Washington. Took us the better part of 4 days since we stopped in Milwaukee, Grand Forks, and Shelby. Was a very nice trip and highly recommend it.
>>
India
Never again
>>
>>1120981
Longest one was Springfield, MA, to Oakland, CA. Took about three days. In a chair, in coach, no shower. I enjoyed it, but I'm not young and poor anymore, so would get a sleeper if I were to do it again.

Other than that, no super-long trips. Did a lot of overnight or all-day trains in Thailand (Bangkok--Chiang Mai many times, Bangkok--Surat Thani twice, Bangkok--Butterworth (Penang) once. But none of these were more than approx. 1 day.
>>
>>1121000
how much were the tickets and where do you get them?
>>
>>1120981
About to do Singapore to Bangkok via the Malaysian Jungle Line.
>>
>>1121243
how much do the tix cost?
>>
>>1121250
Not sure of the total cost but is literally nothing, <$200 for the best class sleepers possible, and that includes lots of stops along the way.
>>
so this is a stupid fucking question but i know nothing on the subject and google is no help. I'd love to take a long train ride somewhere, anywhere in the US but have no idea what the best place to go to get tickets is. As far as I can find, theres just an AmTrak website and there is no universal train-station like there is airports where you can just show up and go where you want to go. Does anyone have any beginner resources for me to get into /trv/ by train?
>>
>>1121300
seat61
Should be in the sticky.
>>
>>1121022

Were you one of those tards who thought it'd be a fun and authentic experience to travel overnight in sleeper or general?

>>1120981

Taken a few in India.

>Delhi to Howrah (Kolkata) - 26 hours
>Delhi to Mumbai - 14 hours
>Delhi to Jammui City - 13 hours

And so forth. I'd do it again. Indian trains are quite nice, provided you're in at least 3AC for longer duration journeys.
>>
File: Amtrak_System_Map.png (840 KB, 2000x1251) Image search: [Google]
Amtrak_System_Map.png
840 KB, 2000x1251
>>1121300
Look at the maps of routes. There aren't that many small regional lines outside of the east coast. So you just have to go to where the train is and pick what direction you want. Amtrak also has deals with bus companies to take people places where their trains don't go. Where do you live?

I was in Denver, I went to the train station and I bought tickets to take me to Seattle, 90 minutes before the train left. Only problem was I set up some sort of red flag as a solo male in his 20s getting last minute tickets out of Colorado and a US Marshall searched my bag in Reno. I think they were just hoping they could catch me for interstate weed possession and a 10k fine. Rockies, Sierra Nevada and Cascades were all nice mountain ranges.

I would like to travel by train again. Next time I might try to take a few stops instead of being cheap and going non stop. I ended up pretty dirty and sleep deprived. First thing I did when I got home was shower and sleep for 18 hours.
>>
Isn't there already a train general up?
>>1116506
>>
I did 40 hours last week. Odessa -> Kiev -> Warsaw -> Berlin. Took 2 nights and was pretty cozy though I didn't get any sleep the first night.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.