[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a website that allows you to view airfare prices for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Is there a website that allows you to view airfare prices for a certain ticket, depending on what country you live in? Or is that practice just a myth?

For example: I live in NYC. I want to buy a roundtrip ticket from NYC to London. When I go to a website like Expedia, the website logs that I have a NYC IP address and therefore gives me the rate of $1300 roundtrip. However, I get on a Argentina proxy, go back to Expedia, which logs my IP from Argentina and the airfare is now only $900
>>
>>1120347

www.google.com/flights

I always use that for the best rates
>>
>>1120347

Dunno, but that does happen.

When I was booking a flight back to the United States from India, I noticed that, when I had my fares set to INR and my country as India, I was getting rates which were at least $100-$200 less than when I had USD and the United States set as my currency and country, respectively.
>>
>>1120361
>>1120347

Have you guys considered that perhaps it converts the currency based off IP?
>>
>>1120363
That's a possibility. But I was assuming that using a proxy would get you access to possible regional discounts
>>
>>1120382
...until you enter a billing address?

Also, if you have decent fraud protection services on whatever credit card you use, it may not let what looks like a random person in Argentina buy a plane ticket online. I had two cards, issued by different banks, declined and frozen when I was trying to buy domestic plane tickets at a travel agency in Kenya. Worked out, but had to spend quite a long time on the phone with my bank.

Still an interesting idea, never tried it. You should, and let us know if it works.
>>
Mostly unrelated question, but is there any point where booking two one-way trips is better than a round trip? For example, if my return date is two months after departure, would it be better to just book the return flight at a later date?
>>
>>1120411

Usually the earlier you buy your tickets the cheaper the flight is
>>
>>1120413
I've read that buying too early can also be more expensive, is that not true?
>>
>>1120411
I have a hard time imagining this saving enough money to be worth the trouble. Assuming you can get into a country on a one-way ticket (a number of places won't let airline staff put you on your first flight without proof of onward travel, generally a return), most non-budget airlines still sell one-way tickets for more than the equivalent of half a round-trip.

It is a little like the money-saving strategy of buying a ticket on one carrier to a transfer point, then a second onward ticket to the final destination on a different airline. Sometimes possible to save a small amount of money--a hundred bucks? 150?--but the hassle is increased (may have to claim bags, go through customs and immigration, then check in for subsequent flight before dropping off bags again, etc.). Can probably do it, but it may not be worth it.
>>
>>1120347
Try skyrapist.net

You can enter your destination then BID for what you will pay. If a matching flight is found you automatically pay for it and leave, if not, you get no flight.
>>
>>1120401
I don't think that would/should be an issue? Unless the website specifically says this discount/deal is only eligible for "Citizens of Country X"
>>
>>1120438
>skyrapist.net
What site is that?
>>
>>1120415
I'm not who you're replying to.
But yes and no. Buying too early means you'll miss out on an any sales that may happen.
I bought return US international flights from Australia for $1250 (about 6 months prior to departure) which was pretty damn good, but a month or two later they had relatively similar flights for $999 return. At the end of the day if you are happy to pay whatever price they're at, then get them and don't check ever again lol
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.