[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good travel forums other than /trv/? Looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: ProcidaChurch1.jpg (477 KB, 2000x1350) Image search: [Google]
ProcidaChurch1.jpg
477 KB, 2000x1350
What are some good travel forums other than /trv/? Looking for places with more experienced travellers, not necessarily "real traveller" stuff but not babby's first trip to Europe or British chavs going to Prague to party.

Flyertalk is good but is mostly about business travel, which doesn't interest me so much.

Lonely Planet is really "clean" and lacking real talk.

/r/solotravel on reddit is 99% babby's first trip to Europe. (How you be scared of your flight to Europe to the point of lying awake is beyond me by the way.)

420chan's travel board is pretty much dead.
>>
Given how slow this place is, despite 4chan's popularity, I think this is the best you'll find.

The alternative would be finding realtalk bloggers who sometimes talk to other realtalk bloggers in the comment section.
>>
>>1119708
Yeah, guess what I'm looking for is something like the equivalent of what bodybuilding.com is to /fit/.
>>
I used Bootsnall in the past, but it's pretty much dead as well.
>>
advrider is pretty good if you like bikes, people do whole trip reports and have heaps of photos. alot of moderated places though, dont have that 'real talk' where you can say whatever. but forums tend to turn into circlejerking the top posters
>>
What about reddit? I've found a couple times the solution to some trv related problems
>>
>>1119705
Maybe there should be the equivelant of the dumb question threads but for experienced travellers? 4chan moderation is too lax though. Need something like /r/history where dumb answers are culled instantly.
>>
Facebook actually has pretty decent ones. It's not as funny/ a lot of toned down posts but the advice is gold. I'm In the "YYZ travel deals and advice" group. Even if you're not from Toronto, the group is massive and you can still get solid suggestions for anywhere. Decent mix of the traveler community/styles. Try and find a regional one though too
>>
>>1119705
I've used the Thorn Tree Forums at Lonely Planet quite a bit--mostly organized by region/country, with a few organized by theme (hiking/camping, RTW trips, maybe hitchhiking? I usually use the geographic ones). There are a few psychotic trolls, like the rest of the Internet (the Thailand threads, for example, get occasional flame wars between sex tourists/sexpats and those who do not approve), but it's busy enough that there is almost always someone in/from/recently returned from the place you're asking about, with relevant experience to share.
>>
>tfw friend from university wants to "get all the lads together" and go on a drinking holiday in Prague this summer

Even worse, I'm considering it, even though the last time I was in Prague it sickened me to see Brits acting like this. All my friends who actually care about culture/history are working and no one wants to come with me :'(
>>
>>1119705
Actually this is quite solid place.
>>
>>1119705

I think 4chan is pretty solid. I've been coming to /trv/ for years. The biggest problem I have here is that we're getting a bigger and bigger number of trolls and morons, presumably from places like /int/ and /pol/. For example, it's impossible to make or respond to a thread about India without passing at least one "poo in the loo" comment, or to get advice on the United Kingdom devoid of "dur the Pakis have ruined London."

What I like about /trv/ is that you really get a mix of experience levels. You do have a lot of "babby's first trip to Europe" folks here, but that's just scraping the bottom of the barrel. I've lived in South Asia, got caught up in Gezi Park and the Arab Spring, and hitchhiked from London to Istanbul. But heck, then we've also got guys who have cycled across Africa, others who are seemingly successful businesspeople, and a bunch of other stuff.

I started coming here when I'd never traveled abroad, ever. I think /trv/ is a good community, but I'm worried about the increasing tard spillover.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.