[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /trv/ I plan on visiting Montreal, Canada next weekend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Hello /trv/
I plan on visiting Montreal, Canada next weekend and I have a few questions:

1. Do locals mind speaking English? or do they treat it the same way people in France treat English speakers?
I know enough French to order food and make small talk, but eventually I would exhaust my vocabulary.

2. What are must-see attractions /trv/ recommends?

3. What are important norms to keep in mind? (e.g. talking on public transport, general manners etc.)

Any other suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!
>>
>>1119599
>Hello /trv/
Bonjour!

>1. Do locals mind speaking English? or do they treat it the same way people in France treat English speakers?

In Montreal, you will experience no language barriers unless you are way out in the suburbs. Outside of Montreal, it's expected that you make some sort of effort to speak French, in smaller towns you will be stonewalled if your French isn't fluent. So as long as you stay in town, you'll be alright.

>2. What are must-see attractions /trv/ recommends?

Foufones electrique. Tam-tam. Any strip club.

>3. What are important norms to keep in mind? (e.g. talking on public transport, general manners etc.)

Always tip 15%, 20% if the service is good. You can't smoke indoors. Don't talk bad about the church, people are very Catholic. Walk left, stand right on the escalators. They love a little ass kissing about their culture. Pretend you give a shit about hockey.

People are pretty carefree tee bee aich, really anything goes and you have to be deliberately offensive to piss anyone off.
>>
>>1119599
i thought that was celine dion
>>
>>1119599
I speak French so I've never experienced 'rude' Quebeckers until I went out with my Anglo friends. It's true sometimes you'll be treated differently. Not so much rude but maybe just... not friendly.

If you're from the states you're fine. It's the Ontarians they dislike. Hard to tell the difference.
>>
>>1119610
Thank you, that's a relief. I'll check out Foufones electirque, it looks like fun. Thanks for the advice!

>>1119730
Good to hear, I'm from Michigan so hopefully I won't run into any problems.
>>
Also, I plan on staying in either Toronto or Ottawa for a night. I've been to both cities when I was younger, too young to be able to enjoy the city unfortunately. Between the two, which one does /trv/ suggest would be more fun? and what are some cool places to check out?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.