[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning on bike touring Europe in October (around 40
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I'm planning on bike touring Europe in October (around 40 days). I'm taking the Rhine Cycle Route up to Switzerland from Rotterdam, then going down to Marseille via the Rhone. I'll be doing it in a shoestring budget, camping/couchsurfing when possible and cooking most of my meals. I have a question though, that will have a deep impact on my planning:

Are Germany and France safe to wander around with the ongoing refugee/migrant crisis? I'm not just talking about getting pick pocketed by Romanians in tourist traps. I'm talking about accidentally riding into an unpoliced afghani ghetto; or being in town for an event like the Cologne mass rape; or being caught up in a refugee riot in the middle of the road like the ones happening in Calais. I have serious concerns about the safety of campsites (perhaps some are even being used to house refugees) and free camping.

I need honest feedback and tips from people that have visited these places recently (this year preferably); about the cities and the countryside; about the state of backpacking, camping and tramping it up in Europe right now. Here's an overview of the trip:

>Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Arnhem
>Duisburg/Dusseldorf/Cologne/Bonn
>Mainz/Mannheim/Strasbourg
>Basel/Zurich/Lausanne/Genebra
>Lyon/Valence/Avignon/Marseille

I'm not particularly scared (because I'm from a 3rd world country myself). However, one needs to go to a trip with the right mindset, preparedness and tools if you want to avoid any bad surprises. I'll be actually scouting the sittuation for potentially migrating there, assessing the pros and cons upclose, getting to experience the weather, as I have the citizenship and will be finishing my master's degree next year.

Other than that, I'm particularly looking forward to the Black Forest in autumn, the castles in the mid-upper Rhine Valley and the entire Swiss leg.
>>
Amsterdam, well - if you must. Rotterdam is interesting, just chain up your bike. Arnhem is boring as fuck and literally without any significant landmarks or anything to view or do. Swap it out for The Hague.
>>
>>1119314

Arnhem is right on the cycle route. I'll probably just sleep in the vicinity and depart then. The Hague is on the way from Amsterdam to Rotterdamn, though, so I'll probably check it out.

Do train stations in big cities offer lockers and bike racks to keep things safe?
>>
>>1119317
Sorta, everyone dumps their bike anywhere. Just find somewhere to lock it up that is in plain sight of other people.
>>
>>1119319

Duly noted. I'll be riding a regular bike, going to buy one second hand in Amsterdam and sell it at the end of the trip, so I'm not too worried about it getting stolen. The route is designed to not be that punishing elevation-wise, even in the Swiss leg (only around Andermatt).
>>
>>1119308
Germany is still safe, despite what you read on /pol/. Last year October was quite cold, so check the forecast. Wild camping is not allowed in Germany, so if you do it you might get fined. Campsites are fine, mostly old folks and families go there and in October there won't be many people there besides some folks who live there. Take your locks with you, cause guarded bike lockers or racks are uncommon, stealing bikes, even shitty ones, on the other hand is quite common. Rhine valley is awesome, lots of old castles.
>>
>>1119323

Well, I had no real concerns over the countryside. As long as I avoid problem areas like Paris it should be okay. I'll be traveling alone but it's unusual to not make a single buddy to tag along with you along the way.

Regarding the weather, I'd like to go a month earlier, but it's the time window I have available. Still, it isn't that bad. I'll probably experience a fair bit cold and grey skies, but hey, that's like most of Europe for half of the year, isn't it?

I'll be good for camping on nights around ~5 degrees, any lower than that, if the weather turns bad or there is a freak snow storm, I can always scramble for couchsurfer. Even if that fails, at that time of year hostels should have some last minute vacancies, don't you think?

Regarding the legality of wild camping, it's not allowed in Switzerland and France I think either. I've read that no one bothers you as long as you ask permission from the landowner (if camping on farm land), hide innawoods near the road, keep control of your trash and don't make a fire.
>>
>>1119308

bump

Anyone into bike touring? Any tips?
>>
>>1119308
>Basel/Zurich/Lausanne/Geneva
no problem at all there just lock your bike all the time if you're not riding it.

Wild camping is not allowed in most areas but almost all farmers and even home owners are very willing to let you camp on their land/a shed, in their garden or even offer you a bed in the house as long as you don't look like a fucked up hobo.

Also if you pass around Zurich drop a line and we can meet for a beer.
>>
>>1119581

>Also if you pass around Zurich drop a line and we can meet for a beer.

That'd be nice. Since /trv/ is a slow board, I'll make sure to create a thread as I depart in October to see if I can meet any of the folks here.

Btw, I read something online about sleeping in barns in Switzerland. Seemed pretty comfortable. Are those tourist traps or something, or are they cheap around October?
>>
>>1119589
Well drop me a line on kik: lafri212 and we can exchange phone numbers there.

>Btw, I read something online about sleeping in barns in Switzerland
It's usually farmer that offer that, there're some traps but they're around Interlaken and within the major cities.
You can sleep with a roof over your head in the hay of a barn for 5-20 CHF some might even offer more comfort.
Most of rural switzerland is kinda redneck but very welcoming don't be afraid to ring a bell and ask if you can stay there for a night.
>>
>>1119598

I'll note that down somewhere. I'll be buying SIM cards in Europe to avoid the ridiculous international fees of my phone operator.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.