[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's there to do in New Mexico? Thinking of taking a weekend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: mnewmexico.gif (53 KB, 507x554) Image search: [Google]
mnewmexico.gif
53 KB, 507x554
What's there to do in New Mexico? Thinking of taking a weekend trip up there (Texasfag)
>>
>>1118820
National parks. Santa Fe is touristy as hell.
>>
>>1118820
>Truth or Consequences
What is wrong with these people.
>>
>>1118922
Radioshow stuff. Some kind of contest.

Santa Fe is shit, fake. Unless you are an old person you won't like it.
>>
>>1118820
Blake's Lottaburger is maybe the best fast food I've ever had.
>>
File: Cumbres-Pass.jpg (78 KB, 500x553) Image search: [Google]
Cumbres-Pass.jpg
78 KB, 500x553
Way out in the boondocks zig-zagging back and forth along the New Mexico/Colorado border (Chama, NM to Anonito, CO, speciically) across the Continental Divide is the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, the longest and highest railroad in the US powered exclusively by steam trains. Its line was built in the 1880s and the scenery along the whole length of the line has not changed much since that time. Because it is such a God-tier example of a 19th century railroad almost perfectly preserved as it originally was, it has been given National Historic Landmark status. It's been in several movies, as well, most notably in the opening scene for Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade.

http://cumbrestoltec.com/
>>
There are a couple of unique museums there. There is that nuclear weapons museum in Albequerque and (I think this is also in NM), there is a former nuclear missile silo also running as a museum with the missile still inside. You can sit at the launch controls and go through the exact procedure of launching it, pretending that you're starting WWIII and such.
>>
File: I-am-not-saying.jpg (87 KB, 585x516) Image search: [Google]
I-am-not-saying.jpg
87 KB, 585x516
>>1118820
Roswell
>>
>>1119247
Overrated
>>
>>1118820
Start a riot
>>
>>1119103
>Santa Fe is shit, fake.
Sorta, kinda true, I guess? Lots and lots of cheesy art galleries and retirees. But it's also among the oldest continually inhabited sites in what is now the US, and certainly about the oldest thing out West. There is a fair amount of legitimate historical interest there.

>>1118820
To OP, a friend lived for a while in the weird, unincorporated hamlet of Madrid--interesting place. Artsy weirdos and antisocial drifters in similar numbers.
>>
>>1119222
VERY COOL NO OP BUT FROM KS AND BOOKED MY TRIP BC OF YOU FOR JULY THANKS
>>
>>1118869
Also very gay.
Second highest per capita in the U S answer A

So there is some nightlife if you dig about.
>>
White Sands is fucking badass. It's a massive white sand dune desert but because the sand is white and reflects solar energy, it's cool on your feet so you can spend the whole day walking around barefoot feeling comfy as shit.
>>
>>1118869
Every national park here has an objectively better equivalent in Colorado (with the possible exception of the valley of fire, but it's just a bunch of black rocks you can't even walk on).

>>1119169
Completely location dependent. All it takes is one lazy burger flipper to make it basically mcdonalds tier.

>>1119222
Expensive and touristy for what it is. The odds of getting a window seat are very slim so you basically are sandwiched between portly midwesterners snapping pictures of everything and all trying to shuffle to one side of the cars at a time.

>>1119223
Abq's nuke museum is admittedly interesting but it's very small and can be gone through in less than 2 hours. No idea about the other museum you're describing though and I've lived here my entire life.

>>1119247
One giant tourist trap. Filled with bored and pissed-off oil field workers.

>>1119596
PS it's in the middle of a fucking military missile range. Which, in turn, is in the middle of buttfuck new mexico. Which, in turn, is in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. Plus it's just fucking sand, dude. White sands is only comfy assuming:
1) It's not summer
2) It's not spring (wind + sand)
3) You're not there during one of the military exercises
4) You're not planning on spending more than an afternoon there (MPs kick you out before sundown by driving around in jeeps fitted with loudspeakers like it's fucking pyongyang or something)
5) You enjoy paying $15 to sit on a plastic dish and scoot yourself down a hill

Basically, OP, just don't come here. It's garbage through and through.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.