[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /trv/ I'm going to the Florida Keys in two weeks. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: fortjefferson.jpg (334 KB, 1793x1009) Image search: [Google]
fortjefferson.jpg
334 KB, 1793x1009
Sup /trv/

I'm going to the Florida Keys in two weeks. I usually travel to historical places but I really wanted to check out the Caribbean and do the traditional "paradise" vacation thing so I booked a flight and resort reservations in the Keys.

My only current plan is to spend a day at Fort Jefferson (pic related) in the Dry Tortugas, which is a daylong trip from Key West, but other than that I'm free for the other 4 days. Is Deep Sea Fishing worth the price?

What food options should I look into? I've never had Cuban cuisine and my only plan is to get an authentic Cuban sandwich. What's the best Florida seafood?
>>
>>1117727
Jesus, I thought that was a screenshot from a video game.
>>
>>1117727
>traditional "paradise" vacation thing

Then you should have gone to Hawaii.

The Florida Keys is where Baby Boomers go to spread HSV and HPV during retirement and ride around on hogs (the motorcycles and fat old women)
>>
>>1117727
Florida Keys is interesting, I was there for a week I think with Boy Scouts, there's a big thing called Sea Base where captains let Scouts on their ships and sail them around. One of the most interesting things to do is to drive from Miami to Key West and just do the interesting stuff you see along the way. Feeding the giant carp was cool, I think the place was called Robbies; Stand there with food and they jump up. Southernmost point in the US is cool, and so is the Conch Republic Government Building.

They declared independence and war on the Coast Guard by throwing moldy bread at them, but surrendered after a minute. The Coast Guard conceded to them as a joke, so now they technically have a government and they do a lot of touristy stuff. Buy flags, get your passport stamped, throw stale bread at the Coast Guard.

Check out Atlas Obscura before you go, that's what I always do.
>>
>>1117911
flights to Honolulu are considerably more expensive
>>
>>1117727
>What's the best Florida seafood?
Stone crab
>>
>>1117727
For the keys, top of the food list for me is authentic local Key Lime Pie. Quite different and a lot nicer than the mass factory produced stuff you get in supermarkets or restaurants elsewhere.
>>
>>1117727
Historic places: Hemingway house is a nice couple hours. The Little White house is also interesting. The docks have some memorials to naval actions in the area. Conch fritters are a must.
>>
>>1118113
Are you 55+?
Do you own a Harley + sidecar?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.