[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why dont you go on this road trip /trv/ whats stopping you???
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (473 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
473 KB, 750x1334
Why dont you go on this road trip /trv/ whats stopping you??? I'm of course to young but god willing i'll do it when i graduate from university
>>
File: image.png (298 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
298 KB, 750x1334
>>
File: image.png (412 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
412 KB, 750x1334
>>
File: image.png (648 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
648 KB, 750x1334
>>
File: image.png (256 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
256 KB, 750x1334
>>
Time and Money.
>Nothern Nigerria
>>
>>1117643
>good luck not getting kidnapped in saharan Algeria
>good luck with Angolan visa
>>
>>1117649
It's not impossible. Many people have tried to do it. Not many people have survived but what does it really matter. Isnt Christ your guardian? Isnt life worth living?
>>
>>1117643
>whats stopping you???

I don't like needles
>>
>>1117657

Also I don't like getting kidnapped for ransom.
>>
>>1117657
>>1117658
wow you guys are actual pussies...man up faggotz
>>
>>1117670
You've found us out. The real reason we don't go on long international road trips like these is the regulations for microchips, vaccinations, and perhaps even quarantines (for cats).
>>
I don't want to "pass through" any country and thus far I've managed. Every country I've been in I've had a minimum of day of exploration on my own. Literally not enough for anything, but it's a thing.

A-to-B style things aren't for me and I imagine the majority of this board. What do you want to accomplish with such traveling? E-peen and nothing else.

The risks are real, too. Fuck the sub-Saharan subhumans. Do you honestly believe you'll fare well with the savage warlords? You've got a better shot with the drug dealers of South America, senpai.

>missing a very good portion of the best bits of Asia

So many wrong things here...
>>
>>1117646
>hugefuckingrisk.rtf
o btw you need an invitation frim a citizen to cross the border to KSA
all of thes roadtrips you are posting are super edgy
>>
>>1117670

Enjoy your Tuareg enslavement kid.
>>
you need a car, you need to able to deal with it if you break down in fucking africa, you need to be able to afford to lose it, you need to drive across uninteresting road, you're tied down to always having a fucking car instead of being able to take your backpack and fly anywhere you want
>>
>>1117643
Too dangerous. I'm not going to Sweden
>>
>>1117643
You pass through Agadez and Northn Nigeria.
Very unsafe and full of military checkpoints.
>>
>>1117861
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/09/on-the-road-in-agadez-desperation-and-death-along-a-saharan-smuggling-route
>>
>>1117793
>>1117861
>Too dangerous

OP's pic is easy mode.
You want dangerous? Buy a camel and retrace the Silk Road. RIP
>>
>>1117647
>no Tasmania
wew lad, you've really done your research...
>>
File: plebs.png (681 KB, 1915x965) Image search: [Google]
plebs.png
681 KB, 1915x965
Because in five weeks I leave for this road trip.
>>
>>1117965
Are you going to use your own car?
I don't think it can take all those miles
>>
>>1117965
I don't get the attraction this this. Hundreds of miles of scrub and cold on a dirt road full of semi trucks? Why???
>>
leaving in a week to do this.
>>
>>1117980
You must really hate yourself.

Also wasn't aware there were even roads through northern Ontario like that.
>>
>>1117981
lol it wont be that bad i got lots of shit planned out.
>>
>>1117980
>Taking highway 11 instead of 17

What would you do that?
>>
>>1117970
Yea, Ford Fiesta so I'll hate my life after a couple of days. It'll make it though, I'm not worried about anything mechanical going wrong; bringing spare parts though.

>>1117972
It's not why I shouldn't, it's who is going to stop me
>>
Is it really such a bad idea to travel through Africa?

I've got 7 months free next year and I was planning on buying a car (and a gun) in SA and then driving up the Western coast. I'd obviously go further inland at points to see a bit of central Africa but only to the safer countries.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_114253.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_114253.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1118624
The Congo has been fucked since independence, though I'll grant you that a lot of that has been further inland than Kinshasa.
Getting into Angola is apparently notoriously difficult (but that's just from browsing /trv/, so take that with a grain of salt).

Other than that, I don't doubt that it will be very interesting.
>>
>>1118624
Go for it dude but bring a gun and a kkk attitude (when confronted)
>>
>>1118650
Thanks. I'd bring bribe money so reckon I'd be ok.

>>1118737
My friend who went with a group said 99% of people there are really nice actually. I'd keep my gun hidden in my glove box or safely on waist I think.
>>
>>1118624
>>1118650
>>1118737
Worth reading:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa
>>
>>1118624

Yes and no.

Lots of lovely places through Africa, but a few bad places too.

West coast should be (somewhat) fine, however, the boarder crossings and the beaurocracy in Africa is killer. Lots of countries have bad relations with each other, boarder crossings are often closed randomly, sometimes you will not be allowed to cross for no reason at all, sometimes they wont let your vehicle in without proper paperwork (even if you do have the correct paperwork) ect...

Also, the roads are terrible, which you probably know, although locals can do it in sedans and buses, you will almost surely need a heavy duty 4wd to make sure you dont get stuck in the middle of a forest for a night because your car is stuck in mud as need as your chest.

Also dont carry a gun, if its found by boarder guards they will fleece you for absolutely everything you have (otherwise expect to spend time in an African prison) because they know tourists would rather pay a massive bribe rather than spend a year or two in prison.
>>
>>1117965

I did that trip almost exactly (but started in Detoilet and went through north Michigan and down to Yellowstone and then up through Glacier), but I was totally unprepared for life north of Fairbanks and turned around after the Arctic Circle.

I see you're from Chicagoland. If you're in North Dakota thinking, "Man, there's fucking nothing here," you're in for a surprise once you get north of Fairbanks. It's indescribable, really,
>>
>>1118822
Yea I'm still floating the idea of the Dalton Highway, this is a budget trip, more to clear my head and get away from life for a couple of weeks.

I might skip the Dalton and spend a day or two in Denali and Anchorage instead. But if I do that, I think I'll feel like I wasted my chance, because a large portion of the trip was to drive as far as I possibly could on the North American continent.
>>
>>1117647
But I have done this road trip, multiple times.
>>
>>1118624
Eastern route is much easier and totally doable. Western and central routes are significantly more difficult, especially with terrorists being dicks in Mali and Nigeria. The entirety of central Africa is essentially unpassable for the novice traveler- Chad, CAR, South Sudan, DRC, etc. are all hardcore/at war.
>>
>>1118804
>>1118765
>>1118902

Thanks for these pieces of advice. Are the border searches really that invasive? I really feel as if a gun would make me feel a lot safer in-country.

I might consider an Eastern route but from what I heard that heralds its own issues as well. I might go and do a 1 month African trip and then fly over to Asia instead by the sounds of it...
>>
>>1117643
Because road trips are shit.

>on the road all the time
>won't come in contact with the local culture
>never having the feeling of arrival

Better do the countries one after the other
>>
>>1119162

>Are the border searches really that invasive?

Yep, its because they know if they find anything on a rich, white, foreigner, they will be getting a big bribe from them (a boarder guard only gets paid like $20 a week, most of their salary is from bribes).

For small things like forgetting paperwork or going over duty limit, the bribe would only be small because the punishments aren't harsh, but for things like gun or drug smuggling it will seriously cost you, because not only will you have to pay off the boarder guard, but most likely his superior officers aswell. You could do it for sure easy, its just a matter of having the money, because over several boarders it could cost many thousands of dollars, probs cheaper to just rent a guard when you enter a country to follow you around.

>a gun would make me feel a lot safer in-country

Burger detected

>I might consider an Eastern route but from what I heard that heralds its own issues as well

Yeh, closed boarders, you cant physically get between Ethiopia and Sudan without at least 1 plane trip (without going thousands of kms into central africa, which has other issues). South sudan-sudan, ethiopia-sudan & Eritrea-sudan are either closed or only open to locals.
>>
File: eurotripae.jpg (2 MB, 4381x2960) Image search: [Google]
eurotripae.jpg
2 MB, 4381x2960
can someone help me with this one? where should I go in ex-yugoslavia? maybe just follow the sea? also how much time would it take to go through it all? about a year maybe? any places I should add to the route? or places to not go?
>>
>>1119193
Skopje-Pristina-Podgorica-Sarajevo-Belgrade-Ljubljana
>>
File: 1453462230085.jpg (74 KB, 691x780) Image search: [Google]
1453462230085.jpg
74 KB, 691x780
Visiting the turdworld.
>>
It's a bit vanilla I guess, but I live in the UK, and I'd love to save up for a year or so, then catch a plane to France and just doss about Europe for a few months.
>>
>>1118848
If your point is to drive as far as you possibly can, you may as well drive as far west as you can on the North American road system as well. It's close to Anchorage (south of it on the Kenai peninsula) and it's called Anchor Point. You could check out Kenai Fjords National Park as well. You can walk up to Exit Glacier or even hike to the ice field.

I missed Anchor Point, but made it to Kenai Fjords National Park. The "farthest west" thing doesn't mean much to me especially being able to walk up to a glacier, but I was so close I would've done it had I known.

You mentioned it was a budget trip, so it's possible you can sleep in your car north of Fairbanks and be pretty safe. I think there's a campsite in Deadhorse for people waiting for tours to Prudhoe Bay to see the Arctic Ocean.

I regret not doing it in hindsight, but at the time I don't know if I could've.

Also, look into Matanuska Glacier. I hired a tour guide, but I think you can go without. I think there's a small fee because you have to travel across private land to get to the public glacier.
>>
>>1119542
Oh shit bro I didn't even think about going as far west as possible.

When you take a quick look at a map of Alaska you just see the Dalton going north all by itself and I got stuck with that idea. I'm going to do some research tonight about heading as far west as I can, with some stops at the points you mentioned. Thanks!
>>
>>1119551
>When you take a quick look at a map of Alaska you just see the Dalton going north all by itself and I got stuck with that idea.

If I remember right during my planning, The Dalton Highway itself looked as far west as you could go so I really didn't think anything of it, but flat maps really distort at that latitude.

Good shit, though. It's such an undertaking getting to Alaska by car that you don't want to miss anything when you're there.

At Kenai Fjords, you can kayak to glaciers on the water. It's sick.
>>
>>1117643
isis
>>
>>1119162
>a gun would make me feel a lot safer in-countr

Fucking lol, it would make you far less safe, especially if you let anyone see you have it, and that's not even considering how much of a ballache it would be to get it into somewhere.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.