[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi all, wanting to buy a small camera for my travels but with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: travel-camera-hiking.jpg (1 MB, 1000x725) Image search: [Google]
travel-camera-hiking.jpg
1 MB, 1000x725
Hi all, wanting to buy a small camera for my travels but with good image quality. What do you guys use and recommend? Would also like a camera with good video for vlogging and such.
>>
Unless you want to be able to change aperture and time, a modern phone will do just fine, especially in good lighting.
>>
>>1117523
basically this.
>>
Shit
>>
>>1117522
I just did a trip where I carried a phone with camera, and a compact Cannon camera. In 45 days I never touched the Camera.
>>
>>1117522
Girl in pic is so petite and cute.

How old is she?
>>
>>1117536
The camera angle makes her look smaller than she really is.

>>1117522
There is still nothing that beats a DSLR.
Even if you never take it out of auto mode and never mess with any settings, your pictures will still be better looking than any phone or compact camera.

Canon's Rebel line is a solid bet for both photos and video. T5i, 60D, T6i, T6s, etc.
They're not pocket size, but not really that big either.

If you're serious about making videos you will need a good microphone too.
They're less than $700 too.
>>
File: IMG_0101.jpg (3 MB, 2219x3282) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0101.jpg
3 MB, 2219x3282
mirrorless cameras are very almost as good as a DSLR, and miles better than a point and shoot or a phone. They can do good video. They also hold less battery and such than a DSLR, might have less choice for buying lenses

I've been meaning to get one but the ones I want are expensive, and I already have a £300 DSLR

It's a serious annoyance to carry it around all the time but I'm kinda stuck with it

Lecia do a lot of nice smal cameras but they're a little niche with those manual controls, and they aren''t meant for video

I'm pretty new but that's what I can tell
>>
i've been wondering about picking up a camera before my japan trip. I absolutely hate how pictures on phones look, they fuck colours up so bad. The only camera that IMO doesn't look like shit(i have experience with sony,samsung,iphone) is the iphone6 cam.

Short of it is that no mobile phone cam would ever make me want to take pictures to show to my family and friends, and I kinda want to do that for once.

atm i'm trying to decide between picking up a decent used camera locally, tricking my dad to think he needs a decent camera(so i can borrow it when i go), and buying a decent one in japan. I'm from norway so it'd be cheaper instantly + get duty free on top of that.

Honestly the thing I did was check what cameras people who make good travel vlogs on youtube use. I'm thinking G7X or RX100 mk III. I'd prefer not to use that much money though as i'm simply not a camera type of guy. I don't travel that much, i'm a horrible photographer and I have naturally shaky hands. I assume both cameras I mentioned are meme cameras to anyone who knows photography. Idk if i'd do more pictures or video, my plan is just to capture a lot of my trip.
>>
>>1117835
they'll be as cheap online as they are in Japan. I thought about it myself a few weeks ago in Japan
>>
>>1117799
>It's a serious annoyance to carry it around all the time but I'm kinda stuck with it

This is the balance I try to remember. I hate carrying a damn thing while sightseeing. I have less than a small backpack going on usually, just enough to the IDs, sunblock, carry a water bottle or a balled up rain jacket. As a photo buff, you'll always have a reason to take your most loved camera just because you are attached to it, and that you know you COULD enlarge some amazing vista if you wanted to do that. If you don't ever plan to enlarge photos? You could definitely carry something smaller. If I were to invest, I'd get the smallest of the professional lines of any major company, compare your models to see the breaking points, where you get all the bells and whistles of programming for shaking, focusing and other corrections with the next lens size up. You want your zoom to be somewhere between real from the larger lens and not 100% fabricated by the computer only. Rough google shows this is the P series on Nikon, G Series on Canon. You don't win for price on a prosumer point-n-shoot, expect to pay as much as a low-to-mid- range DSLR, but you get the win in compactness that won't aggravate your shoulders, neck, and maybe most importantly, won't attract attention from thieves for the resell value. These models change so rapidly and have no actual professional use without the ability to swap out lenses, so they aren't recognized as quality by spotters, but they take high speed better than your phone, and removes blur when you're on a boat/train, or shaky finger pressers, Set up a tripod for some nicer than selfies, etc. You don't get the fun conversations that happens between photographers though!
>>
>>1118180
>I have less than a small backpack going on usually

I use a 22l, it's alright, but the camera bag takes up half of it so I end up slinging it over my shoulder and carrying it seperately. I just want to always have it on me for when I see that perfect shot. I had two weeks in Japan and there are only five photos out of 2 thousand (I take many dupes to be safe) that I'm REALLY happy with, so I always need to have it ready

I'd love a mirrorless that had the caveats sorted out, like tiny battery life, but they're not there yet and it'll be even longer before those become affordable
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.