[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FOOTWEAR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (840 KB, 2560x1555) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
840 KB, 2560x1555
What's the best footwear for backpacking, hiking etc..? Trail runners, hiking boots or shoes, running shoes??
>>
Interested in any opinions or experience
>>
Trail runners I believe
>>
>>1116515
I've got got a pair of hill walking shoes and a pair of flip flops. In south east Asia. All depends on what you're doing and where you're going. Trail runners sound good though.
>>
>>1116508
I got myself some black timberlands and they were great for backpacking. They could handle Indian designated streets as well as some Himalayan mountain treks while still looking presentable after 2 minutes of cleaning.
>>
File: 10e2fa06f2f4.jpg (25 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
10e2fa06f2f4.jpg
25 KB, 500x276
I've been wearing something similar to these but they're heavy as shit, aren't breathable at all and I get aches in the ball of my foot after a few hours

going to switch to trail runners, maybe columbia or merrel or something
>>
>>1116515
Yup. Best travel shoes. I'm a huge fan of Salomon's; incredibly incredibly hard wearing, and can be washed innumerable times without any damage.
>>
File: 232-airound-mid_56951734_large.jpg (337 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
232-airound-mid_56951734_large.jpg
337 KB, 1200x1200
Just bought a pair of these.
Hella comfy, super light, waterproof.
Every time I take them off, I regret it. They're THAT comfortable.
Fuck do I know though, I just bought them for Machu Picchu.
>>
I use a pair of Lowa GTX Zephyr mid TF
Confortable and with me for the last 2 years, I've been every where with it: Australia, France, Canada...
>>
As long as it's not super hot, I swear by my vivobarefoot Gobi 2 boots. Mostly waterproof, can wear it out to a club, can hike in them, and they're minimalist/0 drop
>>
>>1116508
Depends entirely on your foot structure OP. Everyone's feet are different. You may be good with little to no support/cushioning, while someone else may need full autismos.

For me? I need a shoe with a extra wide toe box (4E plus) and arch support because I have acquired flat feet, moreso affecting my left foot.

I've been having a hell of a time finding something that works.
>>
>>1118868
I have the vivobarefoot stealth, more of a running shoe, but fuck if they aren't the most unique shoe I've ever worn. Take a bit of getting used to, but i'd recommend them to everyone
>>
>>1117973
can not afford tbqh
>>
Depends on the weather, but if it is less than 20C invest in some meindl hiking shoes. Best purchase of my life. Shoes that look good in the city, work on cliffs, in forests or with deep snow outside.
>>
File: mindbender.png (79 KB, 316x160) Image search: [Google]
mindbender.png
79 KB, 316x160
trail runners. light, tough soles, good grip.

i have vasque mindbenders that i like a lot for cross country hiking and carrying heavy climbing loads across talus fields. but specific brand and model depend on your feet and exact purpose.

some people like goretex, in general i do not-if you get water in your shoes they stay wet forever. exception is if you'll be in snow a lot.
>>
I'll be like every-fucking-where this and next year (UAE, Nepal, SEA, NZ, South Pacific, South America,...) and don't know which footwear to take with me...

I thought about taking two pairs (+ flip flops maybe). Costs play a minor roll. What should I bring?
>>
>>1119161
http://www.merrell.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-merrell_us-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=17572M&dwvar_17572M_color=J32485
>>
>>1119176
Thank you!

Do you think they're still useful for hiking extreme regions like some the Himalaya?
>>
>>1119183
I use them for everything including mountain climbing but I've had years and years to build my foot and lower leg muscles from using barefoot/minimalist shoes. Even then they can be a workout. If you need more versatility for rocky regions then the merrell trail gloves have a rock plate and are still relatively lightweight and very durable. If I was forced to only bring one pair of shoes on a trip it would be the Merrell trail gloves or NB MT10v2.

However, I would definitely bring two pairs of shoes to rotate through so that they have time to dry out and breathe. Not only will they smell better the bacteria won't chew through the material/glue as quickly. The good thing about the VG2's is that they are so lightweight and foldable they are an afterthought in your bag, and when you hop planes or whatever with weight limits just throw on your more heavy duty shoes. So they make a great lightweight secondary shoe if you are bringing something more formidable for the technical sections.

I am not an expert on heavy duty boots so I can't help you much there. I do know some buzzwords like goodyear welts. You're probably better off asking a climbing/hiking forum if you are doing some crazy hikes.
>>
>>1119185
Alright, thank you for your detailed answer! They truly are an option for my plans now. I think I'll buy them or a very similar pair soon
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.