[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paraguay questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.gif (4 KB, 360x216) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 KB, 360x216
I am moving to Paraguay and have some questions.
- I speak decent Spanish, but I understand they use the local language Guarani quite a bit. Do most people speak purely Spanish and Guarani? or is it a hefty amalgamation?
- are the cities safe?
- what's the local cuisine like?
>>
My home is ~3 hours away from there... ppl here usually visit just for a day to buy stuff (super fucking cheap)

-language : you probably won't understand shit, from what they say (I've only gone once)

-safe? : no. It is a very corrupt, mafia etc. I suggest you don't display wealth or your nationality (lie that you're from Chile or smth)

-local cuisine : they have some special food (and dance too). Probably lots of cheese, corn and meat on it...
>>
>>1116654
so much chauvinism there mate ...
makes for a poor travel advice.
>>
>>1116504
My mother is paraguayan, and I've been there a couple of times. Don't show you're wealthy or from a western country, or at least don't brag about it. You'll be safe from the Mafia and other gangs if you don't do drugs and if you're on a good level with them.
Language: They speak a mix of Guarani and Spanish, but mostly Spanish. As long as you understand Guarani you'll be fine. Most cities are safe, just stay away from sketchy areas at night.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>>1116504
Food: Chipa and chipaguazu are great moreover they have a lot of unique stuff and nice beverages (terere)

Safety:stay away from the triple border(BRZ/PY/ARG), Ciudad del Este it's quite dangerous other than that common sense and normal precaution

Language:I lived in Asuncion for a year and even though Spanish is my mother tongue it was quite hard to understand at the beginning.The most common used language is Ypara a mixture between Spanish and Guarani.Their tongue usage it's very tied to their social status, wealthy people won't speak Guarani and the other way around.

it's a unique place and Guarani culture it's amazing
>>
>>1116889

how is using US dollars? are they generally accepted/ if so are they anal about the condition of the bill? for example only crisp bills
>>
>>1116927
No, USD is not accepted anywhere inside the country.Their currency is PYG or Guarani the change nowadays from usd is very favorable (1USD=5630.00PYG).Do not change money in the airport the rate is lower, If you are in Asuncion there are people in palma street (calle palma in spanish) near plaza de la independencia that will take dollar a little bit higher that official rate.
>>
>>1116504
The forgotten South American country
>>
Paraguayan here:
It depends where are you going to live, if it's Asuncion, you can only rely on Spanish.
I live there and I don't speak a word of Guarani.
Btw, Duolingo is about to launch its Guarani lang course (free), and it should be extremely helpful for you, since otherwise it's very hard to learn (since the guarani lang books used to be difficult to get)
https://www.duolingo.com/
As I said, if you go to relatively expensive restaurants, malls, bars, etc, they will all speak spanish. You will find guarani if you go to the open street market (mercado 4), taxi drivers, people who sit on buses, aboriginal people. But those places shouldn't be that safe for you, if you are a non tanned white male. I wouldn't go alone.
- That depends on the city and where in the city, don't just wander around in Asuncion, otherwise you will end on dark street and be assaulted by aboriginals (in Asuncion, near the river, or the mercado 4, but the costanera is a safe place to go jogging)
- For local cuisine go to Lido Bar, or El bolsi.
People eat a lot of meat (asado), also they eat a lot of chipa, drink cold mate, and dorado soup.
And no, people don't use any other currency besides guarani, not even Argentinian peso.
Unless you live in Ciudad del Este or Pedro Juan, where they use brazilian real.
Search for casa de cambios online, in Asuncion (assuming that's the place you are going), and find the best rate for the dollar.
Don't change from cambistas on the street they will definitely rip you of by a lot.
Otherwise, just take the money directly from an ATM, from your American bank. Not sure about this option, maybe the rate would be ok. It depends on the bank.
>>
>>1117825
Also don't change money in Asuncion Airport. They will rip you off by a lot
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.