[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work work work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: teaching.jpg (33 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
teaching.jpg
33 KB, 620x300
Hey guys,

Can I work as an English teacher abroad, without a degree or anything? I think I can speak English pretty well, not my native language though, but I have been speaking English since I was very young. Also I usually got high grades at high school.I am also still pretty young (19). So does anyone have experience with teaching English without experience or a degree whatsoever or do you really need a degree? What countries would be good options? What kind of things will increase my chances? Also can you link some sites where I can apply or that have good information. So far I searched a bit but I can only find things where you need a basic degree and experience.

Cheers
>>
>>1116263
Only country where I have personally known people without degrees to teach was Cambodia.

Not sure about non-native speakers, though. That's hard anywhere. Maybe China?

Take a look at Dave's ESL cafe; all listings there will expect native speakers with degrees, but you might reach out anyway.
>>
In Vietnam i met alot of people teaching amd amongst them, non-native speakers aswell, amd when I asked around, the general vibe was that it doesen't matter, as long as you're fluent in it. I met a german who has been there for a few years already, and his english wasn't even that good. This was autumn 2015.
>>
>>1116447
This was also my experience. Which I found hilarious
"Oh, yeah, I don't need any teaching qualification to teach English, I've spoken it all my life!"

I feel so bad for their students
>>
>>1116263
lmao what the fuck?

so you're

1. A child
2. Not a native English speaker
3. Have no schooling (high school means nothing)

No, you cannot teach English abroad
>>
>>1116263
You can teach in most Asian countries, but you won't get a legal job.

Don't bother the dave's site or asking any teachers. Most of them have no qualification aside from being a native speaker. You're an intruder in their haven of slightly below average salaries and mediocre pussy. Don't be surprised if this thread turns to shit already because you've already angered them.

You can get into the countries with a working holiday or a tourist visa. There's plenty of teaching gigs if you are outgoing, social and look white. You'll most likely have to pretend you're American once the parents show up but other than them, nobody really cares.
>>
As OP, I'm interested in english/language teaching without degree (in english) and being non-native.

I don't know from where you come from OP; but I'm afraid we in a difficult position. depends on your mother tongue maybe you should consider teaching it, as well if you're a girl and relatively good looking you can find job in fancy kindergartens
>>
I have a degree. English is my first language. I have lots of experience teaching little kids karate. My only problem is I am severe poorfag working 60 hours a week and barely making ends meet. What is the cheapest way to teach English abroad? How do I find jobs once I have my certification?
>>
>>1116263

You can but only on a working holiday visa and you need to apply to the jobs while you're at said country. You wont be able to work in public education but you will easily find a job at private schools. You'll need quite a bit of money so you can sustain yourself for a couple of months and it's not guaranteed that you will find a job. It's risky but it's doable.

Easiest places as they mention are cambodia, vietnam, china maybe russia.
>>
>>1116368
>>1116447
>>1116471
Okay cool. thanks for site I will definitely take a look and see if they have something that fits me. Also encouraging that you guys actually know people who teach with similar situations.
>>1116479
Yeah I am thinking about getting a TEFL certificate online. So at least I will have something to show. Does anybody know if this will greatly improve my changes? Also I am from a western European country and very white, speak English pretty well and if you look at the very low English level that most natives in underdeveloped countries have, I would say I definitely have something to offer them.
>>1116498
>>1116533
>>1116760
So your saying its impossible for me to get a legal job in an undeveloped country? I am from a pretty rich western country (the Netherlands) so would it really be that difficult to get a working visa. Also Is there no way to already find a job on the internet because applying while I am already in a country sounds pretty risky. I found there is a huge demand in countries like China for English speaking people, so are you sure I cant apply and get a legal job before I go there? doesn't have to be a really well paid job just so I can pay my living expenses with it. I can speak Dutch but I really don't think anyone wants to learn a language that's pretty irrelevant for the rest of the world. And I am a guy. I do have some private teaching experience in English from teaching in my high school. I guess everything counts and maybe its more about how you present yourself in those countries.
>>
hurdurhurdurhurdur
>>
>>1116263
You can teach in Czechia without a degree if you're in the EU
>>
Is this possible at all in Latin America?
>>
>>1116827
>I am from a pretty rich western country (the Netherlands) so would it really be that difficult to get a working visa.
Probably. No place that will accept a non-native speaker without a degree will set you up with proper papers-in almost all countries, at least in Asia, you get your working visa through your job, not through your skin color and passport.

That means you will be at constant, low-level risk of getting kicked out of the country, and your pay will be very low.

If you decide to take your chances in Cambodia, however, they have the last remaining exploitable visa regime in Asia, at least for now (it is among the most corrupt countries in the world, so all is subject to change at no notice, and your best bet in the event of a problem will be to throw money at someone). You should be able to get a business visa that can be renewed indefinitely for a few hundred €. The process is described in Lonely Planet.
>>
>>1116471
They don't seem to care in Vietnam. Like this german guy told me, his classes have like thirty screaming kids, he told me that he doesn't think none of them is learning anything, as long as the kids are happy, it's all that matters. It's rich vietnamese parents who put their kids there so they can say that they've studied english.

Of course all this is going to change the more developed Vietnam gets and there will be no space for RealTravellers™ to earn some cash, but at the moment it does work and the money is supposed to be good.
>>
>>1116827
With no degree, you got to take risks. No other way around, it was easier back in the 2000's but now it's either you're applying directly there or you got a degree.

Also, get that TELF and volunteer teaching Syrian kids or something before you go. Where there's a will there's a way. Don't give up bro.
>>
>>1117497
With the Syrian kids do you mean like refugees in your own country?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.