[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or have most places just become living museums
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: france-103.jpg (541 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
france-103.jpg
541 KB, 1600x1200
Is it just me or have most places just become living museums of their past selves? Tourism has just ruined everywhere. Nothing happening in the present day, just monuments to see of things from the past.
>>
>>1116015
Well when there are attempts to make new things, it's mostly shit.
I'll stick to old things from the past.
>>
File: 9716506_orig.jpg (217 KB, 960x636) Image search: [Google]
9716506_orig.jpg
217 KB, 960x636
>>1116015
>opinion discarded
>>
>>1116015
There are still some places that are still their past selves. The only way they exist like that is because almost nobody's heard of them, which is also the reason why it's hard to find out where they are.
>>
>>1116494
Muthafuckin Sagrada Familia.
That place could drive an atheist to tears.
I'm a man speaking from experience.
>>
>>1116015
>Is it just me

Yes.
>>
>>1116015
you obviously dont understand history very well
>>
>>1116015
Was it you are trying to see that you think you can't find
>>
>>1116015
it is just you,
for example your pic related.

is anybody in the pic looking at the monument ?
NO, becuase they're looking at the panoramic view of Paris and there're always some street shows in front of the Sacre Coeur.
tourists or locals, they go there, enjoy the moment, the weather, the companion, in short, they enjoy life.
>>
>>1116494
I've seen it and I have to say I was very disappointed.

It looks like a poop castle.
>>
>>1116015
>he travels to see things
>he doesn't travel to do things
>>
>>1116829
Same.

Too much to look at and overcomplicated. Bordering on pretentious
>>
>>1116829
>>1116831
No appreciation for geometry and architecture
>>
>>1116831
>implying any tourist site wasn't originally pretentious as fuck

that's how civilizations and rulers made a name for themselves
>>
>>1116494
When I was at Park Guell there were people still painting the blank tiles. I liked that people are still working to complete Gaudi's designs
>>
>>1116015
Yeah I've experienced this too. Dubrovnik is a perfect example. It's really beautiful, but is completely lifeless as a city. It's just a zoo for people to walk around when they get off their cruise ships for the day. The only Croats who live there work either directly or indirectly in tourism. In some ways it was interesting, but I prefer going to places that feel like they are contributing to history NOW instead of hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>1116914
>contributing to history NOW
>>
>>1116015
If you think that you should visit DC
>>
>>1116866
>architecture
Architect here, can confirm its a poop castle.
>>
File: Sainte-Cécile Albi.jpg (412 KB, 998x657) Image search: [Google]
Sainte-Cécile Albi.jpg
412 KB, 998x657
>>1116494
Meh, I like it but there are dozens of old cathedrals that impressed me more
>>
File: plebbit army.jpg (151 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
plebbit army.jpg
151 KB, 500x342
>>1116015
Thank you OP. I've often felt the same but kept my thoughts to myself for fear of RealTravelers™ crawling out of the woodwork to tell me how I'm "traveling wrong". I see a couple of them have already infiltrated the thread.

Rome was breathtaking to look at but it didn't feel like a living, breathing city. It is still living off its past glory. Where was the industry? The financial center? Not to mention the tourists absolutely everywhere. They must outnumber the locals during the Summer peak season.

Even the greatest city on Earth, New York, is slowly being transformed into a fucking theme park for tourists. Locals are being priced out by richfags while niggers in superhero costumes are posing for pics around Times Square. Ignorant people taking selfies at Ground Zero, a monument to mass death. Whatever - it's just another Instagram opportunity to them.
>>
>>1117118
just fyi, most of the industry in major european cities is in the suburbs, not directly in the center of the city
>>
>>1117118
>New York
>Greatest city

I liked NY but please tell me you're being ironic here
>>
>>1117273
b-b-but that's what Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest told me
>>
>>1116015
Wait until Ethiopian/eritreab monasteries succumb to tourism. Hell they already on the path to that.
>>
File: beach.jpg (66 KB, 797x584) Image search: [Google]
beach.jpg
66 KB, 797x584
>>1116015
Maybe spend more of your time looking at and doing things that are not tourist-attraction monument to the past?
>>
>>1116494
I'm not a man of very peculiar or fussy artistic tastes, but I've always thought that was ugly, and when I went to Barcelona... confirmed.
>>
>>1116914
>>1116940
Baghdad is only a plane ride away, brother.
>>
>>1117118
Welcome to Earth 2016.
>>
>>1117383
pleb detected
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.