[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how's Poland (Gdansk) for living in/working?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: kurwa-inventore_slide2.jpg (302 KB, 960x444) Image search: [Google]
kurwa-inventore_slide2.jpg
302 KB, 960x444
I'm going through the selection process for a software development gig in Gdansk, Poland.
How's the cost of living/wages in there? Can I reasonably expect to be able to tour Europe during long weekends/vacations with the money I make if I'm not a heavy spender?
I'd be going alone so I can make do with a 1-room apartment and an internet connection.

How hard is Polish? I don't need it for the job, but I'd like to learn it if I end up living in the damn place.
>>
>>1115298
Well, there's a reason all the Poles leave Poland. There's enough money to satisfy whatever basic needs you have, but not much left for luxuries. Imagine all the fun things back at home costing three, four times as much and you have a good comparison for the purchasing power you'll have with your remaining money. Of course if you get paid an American or whatever foreign wage while living in Poland, you'll live like a king. Traveling isn't a problem - if I can do it, so can you. Don't expect to stay in really nice hotels though, you'll be counting every coin you spend.
Expect to pay 1000-1500 PLN/month for a small, one room flat. Look for "kawalerka" (bachelor's flat) when digging through ads. If you rent a room in a shared apartment, you can easily cut it down to half that.
Polish is a grammar nightmare and will probably be a gigantic pain in the ass to grasp if you're not used to declension-based languages. There's 7 cases and 3 genders (or 5 if you count the minor subtypes). The suffix of both nouns and adjectives pretty much changes every sentence. My advice would be to not worry about grammar too much and just focus on vocab and pronunciation. People will love you for learning the language even if you speak in the vein of "me want food".
And learn to roll your r. You'll sound ridiculous saying "kurwa" otherwise.
>>
>>1115396
>genders (or 5 if you count the minor subtypes)
Wat
>>
>>1115409
Feminine
Neuter
Masculine Personal (people)
Masculine Animate (animals)
Masculine Inanimate (everything else)

The masculine split only really matters with adjectives in a specific grammatical case or two. Nothing major.
>>
>>1115396
OP here. I should have clarified, I'm not from the states, I'm from Argentina, so "3 to 4 times more costly" is actually par for the course :V

I have no idea about wages yet unfortunately, I guess I'll know more a bit further down the line (if I make it that far).

I was thinking about using this as a "stepping stone" of sorts since is't quite difficult to find a job willing to sponsor me for a visa, just stay for a year or so in Gdansk and then look for something somewhere else in Europe.

Any opinions on Gdansk?
>>
File: gdansk_2[1].jpg (204 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
gdansk_2[1].jpg
204 KB, 1366x768
>>1115464
Well then, it'll be just like home - even shitty politicians are included in the package.
I've only ever been to Gdańsk as a tourist so I don't have any actual experience living there, but it seemed a really nice city. There's a pretty old town with great atmosphere and a lot of cultural events and festivals take place in the area. It's next to the sea too, which is always a bonus.
By the way, Gdańsk is part of an agglomeration of three cities called "Trójmiasto" that includes Gdynia and the resort town of Sopot. They all share the same public transport ticket, so it might be worth it to check out all the towns when looking for an apartment.
>>
>>1115298
It's pronounced Danzig.
>>
>>1115470
>>1115470
Sounds good. I guess it'll boil down to the money then. If it's just a median wage (compared to cos of living) I may hold off and look for something elsewhere (Holland is looking for developers as far as I know); if it's good money I'll probably just do it for a year, save as much as I can and then travel for a bit or look for something else in europe.
>>
>>1115464
Lots of subultural type (read: violent) neonazis/hooligans/screamyuglybaldmen in my experience. Soo tsle care I guess.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.