[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be possible for me to live in the Scottish country side
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 5WWjn.jpg (243 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
5WWjn.jpg
243 KB, 800x640
Would it be possible for me to live in the Scottish country side for two months? I'd love to spend some time there and maybe work. I'm from the US. If not, where would I be able to do this?
>>
Yes probably, if you had all the right gear. It rains a lot.

I don't think you could get a work visa that easily though.
>>
>>1114931
I think my passport allows me to stay six months. Are there programs that let me stay with a family. The reason for work is that I also want to be productive, not so concerned about money.
>>
>>1114936
Is it possible for me to live in the Nebraskan country side for two months? I want to work, maybe. I'm from the UK.
>>
File: SAM_2021.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2021.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
Assuming you're not highly skilled at something, it's a safe bet you won't be able to get a work visa. On a 6 month tourist visa, if they think you're planning on working they will send you straight home on the next flight, no joke.
Staying 2 months isn't such a long time, but when you arrive at UK immigration, before they give you your passport stamp they will want to know two things:
1: Will you have enough money to support yourself while in the UK
2: Are you a risk as a potential illegal worker or overstayer

If you have a couple grand in the bank and a return ticket, you've got nothing to worry about. Once I was completely broke, though, and wanted to spend a few months in the UK. I managed to get in by telling them I didn't need money because I'd be hiking the Cape Wrath Trail for four weeks. They believed that since my pack was overflowing with camping gear.

If you want free accommodation, you have two options:
1: Do you know about Wwoof and HelpX? You can do both in Scotland. Work at 4-6 hours per day in exchange for accommodation, either with families or at hostels. I can recommend some specific places I've done this if you like.
The UK used to be sniffy about foreigners doing this since technically you *are* in breach of the tourist visa if you work at all. But it's become so wildly popular I'm sure they've started allowing it.
2: If you don't mind splitting wood and drinking out of mountain streams, you can stay in bothies, or little mountain huts with woodstoves, furniture, and nothing else. check out this website: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/locationmap.asp
I used to spend a month each summer staying in bothies, only hiking into town for whisky or to recharge my Kindle battery. Happy times, if lonely.
>>
>if not, where would I be able to do this
New Zealand and Australia both offer Americans under the age of 30 'working holiday visas' where you can work for six months and travel for six months. The Australian one costs $200, though, and they've just started taxing the hell out of working backpackers.
>>
>>1115025

>>Amazon Kindle, an e-book reader line by Amazon.com, first launched in November 2007

You make it sound like it was 30 years ago that you did this.
>>
>>1115057
Actually if you really want to be a pedant, it was a kobo, not a kindle.
>>
>>1115025
Yes please!
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.