[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Africa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1462400026989.jpg (18 KB, 326x237) Image search: [Google]
1462400026989.jpg
18 KB, 326x237
I'm considering travelling to sub-Saharan Africa in the not too distant future. In particular, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia have caught my interest.

Are there any other countries in the region you guys would recommend? Preferably English-speaking ones where the crime rate isn't too ludicrous.

Thanks, /trv/
>>
Swapkomund in Namibia was one of my all time favourite places and I cannot recommend it enough. One of the few places that felt safe enough to walk around alone at night
>>
>>1113989
Sounds nice; I'll have to check it out. Thanks
>>
>>1113985
Crime rate is ludicrous everywhere; you just need to be have common sense.
Chances are you entry port would be Johannesburg, South Africa. There are a couple of places there you could see or at least pick up some essentials before you head to the other places.

I'll vouch for Namibia; it's one of my favorite places.
>>
Land in South Africa, but avoid Jo-Burg (soveto & alexendra)

If you are white avoid Mozambique

Swaziland is great for some real off the grid camping, it's cheap, extremely friendly
>>
>>1113985

My friend is volunteering with the Peace Corps in Zanzibar in Tanzania. He's visited other parts of the country for training and vacation. By all accounts, it's a beautiful place and he's enjoying his time there immensely. He gets a salary or stipend of about $250 per month and says he's hard-pressed to spend it all.
>>
>>1115448
I am pretty white, so I'll keep that in mind; thanks. But is there a particular reason why whites aren't welcome in Mozambique? I was under the impression that it wasn't a no-go country.

Camping in Swaziland sounds fun, though. Probably way better than Fraser Island.

>>1115495
>>1114297
Also noted; thanks.
>>
>>1115835
I'm a white guy living in Mozambique. It's perfectly fine, I don't know what that other anon is talking about. Mozambique right now isn't good for travel, though, there's low-level conflict throughout the country that does affect civilians quite heavily. I'll use myself as anecdotal evidence; I can't leave my post right now because to do so would risk the vehicle I'm traveling in being shot at by guerrillas. Some parts are fine, like the capital and the far southern provinces, but the central ones are not. The economy has essentially shut down and the only way to pass through the middle is with an armed military convoy.
>>
>>1115845
Ah. Well, sorry your country's in a bit of a conflict right now. Anyway, if that's what's happening, I might steer clear for the time being; maybe pay a visit in a couple years if things improve. Thanks for the heads-up.
>>
>>1115448
Why no honkies in Mozambique?
>>
>>1117201
Well Mozambique has conflict in its north border so it's more a safety issue.
>>
All the ones you'd consider going to English is widely spoken except Mozambique.

If you can only visit one I'd say South Africa is the obvious choice. There's just massively more there than the rest of SS Africa combined x10. The cultural and geographic variety in that country is just amazing. It also has great public transport (via minibusses and long distance busses) that's easy to figure out and comfortable (apart from the distances involved).

The rest of anglo southern/eastern Africa is pretty easy to figure out. Namibia, Botswana, Swazi, Zimbabwe, and Zambia are basically extensions of South Africa for the most part. Things get more aggressively third world as you get further north, but it's still reasonably easy to travel Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda if you've got lots of time and patience...

Mozambique in my experience is really a different beast (never been to Angola, if it's possible to go). Besides the language barrier, it's just a lot more chaotic, and the latin influence is very apparent in the culture, for better (food, fun) and worse (travel, law and order). Worth visiting, but you've gotta' buckle in for the madness.
>>
>>1115845
A couple years ago I traveled up through Moz and had a bit of trouble getting through the middle because that was when the violence was just starting up. Sad to hear its continued.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.