[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian travelling alone through Europe, need advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Just graduated from university, as a gift my father is buying me a plane ticket to Germany. I chose Germany because it's fairly central in Europe and I think I can go other places easily from there, plus there are some places in Germany I want to see.

The places I really am keen on are Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland. Maybe Ireland and Denmark as well.

So basically traveling alone doesn't scare me in the slightest (major autist, never really had friends) but I have absolutely no idea what to do in these countries. Beyond hiking through fjords my only other real interest is weightlifting

I travel extremely light, all I'm taking is one backpack with a couple shirts, underwear, running shoes, passport, etc.

So, please tell me what to do, what to avoid, that sort of thing.
>>
>>1113887
Forgot to mention I'll be staying at hostels in these countries

I only speak English and am quite unsure if I'll be able to communicate at all in these countries. Do people working in hostels in the aforementioned countries usually speak any English?
>>
Europe is a cakewalk and you've listed some meme destinations.

People are very likely to speak English in SWE at least. Avoid the refugee areas, get on Tinder to get a local qt to tour you around. EZ.
>>
>>1113910
Sorry, I have no clue what you mean by meme destinations. Is that a good or bad thing?

I'm assuming I would need a facebook account to use tinder (which I don't have). I really dislike social media, don't have any accounts on any of the big ones (facebook, twitter, ig, tumblr, etc) so that kind of rules that out.

Reassuring to know lots of people speak English in Sweden at least
>>
>>1113888
>Do people working in hostels in the aforementioned countries usually speak any English?
lel

Iceland is not close at all, I'd forget it. Ireland is also a flight away. I don't know how long you're going for though.

I'd suggest Finland. People there are pretty autistic, so you'd be right at home. On the other hand, you will see how terrible a place can be when everyone is as autistic as you.

What to do in these countries? Well, that's up to you, I dunno. Museums (art, science/tech, whatever?), old castles and palaces and shit, famous historical sites. You can try lifting rocks in the woods.
>>
>>1113921
Are you laughing because a lot of people speak English or because hardly anyone does?

Well, I could fly to Iceland first and then decide where to go from there? That's the place I'm most interested in even though I've missed out on the Northern Lights this year

Finland I will definitely go to, I've heard tales of the autism of the Finnish people, it's something I want to see

>You can try lifting rocks in the woods
I lol'd. I will do this for you
>>
>>1113887
you will be fine. I did the same. I was surprised some people in germany spoke better english than native speakers, if you stay at hostels you will make friends, some people will actually be more scared than you since they don't know how to be alone and they will make groups with anyone no matter how autistic you are.

As for what to do, try the food, drink their beer, be less autistic and just randomly strike a conversation with someone asking them for suggestions of what to visit. I got invited to this chick's house for dinner in berlin like that, had an awesome and i still keep in contact with her, so you never know. Just don't be a complete dick and you'll do fine.
>>
>>1113924

literally everyone speaks english. Anyone who looks like a normal person above the age of 13 can answer most of your simple tourist questions. Almost noone wants to have a long convo with tourists though, so expect a quick answer and sry gtg. unless someone expresses interest in you, they don't want to recommend you shit.

I can remember helping tourists out a couple of times as a 12-14 year old or something in my small city in norway. If you're asking for directions to hotel/camping spot etc pretty much everyone will understand your question and be able to formulate Across bridge, down the street, left/right, by the mall etc.

The nicest nature Norway has to offer is really fucking nice, but it's expensive staying here. Although I haven't explored Europe i'd be very suprised if you didn't find equally nice, but different, nature much cheaper other places in europe. Where the people are more open to tourists and the prices are better. Personally i'd say Norway is a tourist destination for 50+ year old people who are here for the nature. If you're young and looking for more than one thing then it's not for you. What about the lake district in Austria.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list Look at the list, travelling to northern europe just cuts you off from a ton of cool shit and you're going to a climate where you might have 0 sun days your entire stay. Don't waste your vacation in northern europe is my suggestion, leave that shit for when you're older.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.