[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got a bunch of airline miles and vacation time and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: nicaragua.gif (5 KB, 384x230) Image search: [Google]
nicaragua.gif
5 KB, 384x230
I've got a bunch of airline miles and vacation time and I want to travel abroad for the first time. Nicaragua seems to be a good place. Cheap, relatively low crime, interesting cultural and diverse natural sites to see.

Can anybody tell me places to definitely go/definitely not go? Managua seems to be somewhat sketchy and otherwise not appealing and I should only go there to and from the airport. Corn Island and Ometepe sound interesting, but I don't know if its worth it to travel there. I figured if I land in Managua, I'd go to Esteli and then circle down to Leon, Granada, and San Juan Del Sur, before heading back to fly out.

I don't speak Spanish. How fucked will I be trying to get around?
>>
i also want to know this, so bump
>>
Come on, nobody?
>>
Nicaragua has low crime? I always just assumed it was dangerous, huh good to know i guess
>>
>>1114511

That may be relative compared no its Central American neighbors to the north. I can't imagine its Mayberry.
>>
need to know spanish, but people are still sorta wary of americans. if you look like a gringo u will get jipped
source: went in 2011
>>
Hiked volcanoes in Leon and nearly died. Stay hydrated.

Spent 5 days on little corn. Was beautiful and want to go back. Don't miss it
>>
Leon and Granada are cool colonial cities. Omotepe is lovely, the Corn Islands would be pretty cool I would imagine. I went to a beach about 30 minutes from Leon called Salinas Grande which was fantastic, stayed in one of the best hostels I've ever been to there. San Juan Del Sur is pretty trashy, I wasn't too into it.
>>
>>1114550

I guess I gotta figure out what appropriate prices are before going. Hell there's cab drivers that try to charge me more than double what I normally pay when I'm going home for the night in my hometown.

I guess they're wary because of the whole "financing drug cartels and right wing death squads" thing. Can't say as I blame them.
>>
>>1113503
In some cities like Granada and San Juan del Sur you can get around and most likely find English speakers. I think in the airport you'll be able to speak with some tourism agencies and they'll be able to help you.
It's relatively safe but be wary of not getting out of the main areas of the city because some places are sketchy and dangerous.
Locals can be nice and helpful, some can be harsh depending on where are you from and some are just trying to mug you.
Good luck in your travels!
>>
Managua is just your typical big centeral americna city with its share of shit and sometimes cool places(like the salvador allende port). Go to Granada, lots of english speakers there since its a popular tourism spot. Hiking up the Mombacho is beautiful if you nature trails and morpho butterflies. anywhere else you're gonna need google translate buddy. Also dont worry about food money, its cheap as shit and a fritanga dinner will cost you about $2USD. Would recommend the Somoto Canyon. best of luck
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.