[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SE Asia vs South America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Very broad question but I want to know what /trv/ would advise for a first time traveler. Planning a trip sometime after September-Nov for a few months and having trouble deciding. SEA is cheaper but I can afford to be flexible with time/budget

Particularly interested in the rainforest(either Borneo or the Amazon if you want to give your experience and opinions), ruins, interesting cultures, the usual. Would like to meet interesting people of course but not much of a bar/club person.

Tell me what you think or just share your own experience.
>>
>>1113496
i was traveling through southeast asia and i would defently recommend it!

such a great place, lot of stuff to do & places to visit. wicked cultural & traditional things to do n see as well, like golden tempels, huuuuge statures and mighty landscapes.

traveling, weather by bus, plaine & train is cheap as fuck & the they got good food too!

exotic animals, like elephants, tigers, monkeys, too see! Waterfalls, tropical woods n jungles,

crazy night outs inclusive
its just sick mate
>>
>>1113496
Your time of year for the travel is GREAT for this region.

As a first time traveler, I'd advise Costa Rica handsdown every time vs most of S. America. Rainforest canopy and cloud walks, great waterfalls and rafting, beaches, boating, volcanoes, coast to coast amazing, great eco-niche hotels who are very inexpensive yet luxurious both, and very english friendly. I'm quite partial to their Lizano steak sauce at every meal. You can hire your own damn guide one-on-one with a pack and gear (!) for a 3 part tour of the country, cheaper than you can fly to SEA. CR has protected with national parks before it was a thing to do so in the rest of the world. Adding Guatemala or Belize before/after your trip would get you ruins. A Delta connection into Mexico, as well.
http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/sky-walk.htm
Alternately, you might greatly enjoy a Galapagos excursion if money isn't your issue. I'm not gonna lie, my friends and mutual business interests have said for about a year now that we personally stay out of Brazil right now. There's a reason 70% of visitors to Florida are from Brazil atm. They're all getting out. Whether from Zika (not just a concern to a childbearer), to the political and economic crap going on with their impeached leader re olympics, it's a horrible place right now for crime and ugliness. Peru is fine if you're a smart traveler but you're a novice, who would do better on a tour for aspects of it. You could do alright in Patagonia if you're good at the weather and solo travel, possibly but it can be pricey. Caribbean works for some safe aspects of S.Amer flavor mixed with island life such as Bonaire or Aruba, but you be sure the Venezuelans are there buying toilet paper for the issues at home too.

Where from? ethnicity? It's hard to compare your interests really.
>>
Have not been so SEA, but from the many stories I've heard compared to my own extensive experience in SA:

It seems like SEA is cheaper than SA in every way. Especially Brazil has gotten expensive as fuck. There is also a lot of bro-tier partying in SOME places in SEA, while others are a lot less touristy and accessible, might cause a bit of a culture-shock (which can be a good thing if you are looking to broaden your cultural horizons).

SA was to me a slight culture-shock, but not that much. In general Brazil, Chile and (especially) Argentina have some similarities with Europe, but with a distinct Latino charm and touch to it. The culture (broadly speaking: literature, movies, restaurants, way of life, nightlife) is thus slightly recognisable while not at all being well known to you.

For me, the latter seems more attractive. While I love getting me feet swept from under me by different cultures, I also like to have some basic feeling of safety and belonging. Also I am very interested in Latin American literature and language. But this may vary from person to person.
>>
Go first to SEA. Otherwise it's not going to surprise you as much after SA. Some countries in far Asia have just sold themselves to Western money while Latin America conserves its dignity and they value their history /traditions
>>
>>1113496
>ruins, interesting cultures
Outside of Perú, I think SA can't really compete with SEA in these fields.
>>
>>1114657
>costa rica
>south america
let me guess, you're american
>>
>>1115616
By ruins you maybe right but I don't agree when it comes to cultures. Also the nature in South America is superlative and less spoiled than in SEA
>>
You have Mayan and Aztec ruins. Yes, a lot are in Central America, but when most Americans rink of South America they are considerin all of Latin America. It's all south of us.
>>
Thinking about going to SA for the first time, i'd love to see Patagonia, how many days do you recommend to spend and should i start in chile or argentina?
>>
>>1115616
They are different types of ruins. There are impressive places in mexico, colombia and peru. South of chile and argentina you could see landscapes that would take your breath away.

The culture is also there. I honestly wouldn't even compare them, they are completely different cultures, it depends on tastes.
>>
>>1114976
> Brazil, Chile and (especially) Argentina have some similarities with Europe

Of course you're referring to South Brazil - and maybe São Paulo State to some degree. Brazil is a massive country, similar to US in size (although more demografically contrasting), comprising 51% of South America. Rio, North and Northeast are more like Africa or Central America - I know both parts of my country.
>>
>>1115013
Bolivarian pseudo-commie detected.
>>
>>1113496
Don't know much of your personal info (which I think might be important as there's so many ways you can travel).

I've been to some places in (SE)A, this list is of countries I've been to. For nice people, mountains, not that many tourists and alright architecture go to Nepal.
For easy and cheap traveling, meeting so many other friendly tourists, okay temples and some nice spots in nature go to Vietnam (from Ho-Chi-Minh up, especially by your own motorbike, I didn't like the Mekong Delta).
For ladyboys, partying, easy and cheap travelling go to Thailand.
To be a hipster, very nice local people, now or never experience go to Myanmar. Just went there 1 month ago, bad season for it so I was kinda disappointed, not really much to do and to see as temples are the same in the whole country (and renovated in the last 5 years or so, so I sortof missed the real authentic feeling). Went there because it only opened up fairly recently and wished to see authentic and poor folks, instead found a population that still welcomes you with a very big smile but 80% wears jeans and an ACDC shirt, 100% has a mobile phone and it's just another country with big western influences.

Most people with some time to spare, especially newly ' backpackers' go do Thailand > Laos > Vietnam > Cambodja.

I loved Nepal, recommend it to everyone. On my list is: Philippines, Indonesia, India, China, Iran.

SEA is cheap, safe, easy with people who just mind their own business but are still very approachable.
Never been to SA but think it's quiet different in some ways, I am also always wondering whether this feeling is correct.
>>
>>1115013
I would disagree with choosing SA for this reason. I jus spent 4 months traveling through south east Asia and have spent time in SA as well and SEA was definitely a bigger culture shock. Far more different from the US than SA
>>
>>1116557
Funny, I didn't see culture shock as any part of his criteria he was considering. In your defense, a previous had a different conclusion, but the same thinking. He said SA first because it's less of a culture shock. Thus may be more underwhelming after SEA
>>
>>1116699
I always Teel people who ask to go to the Phillipines before Thailand, if they are considering both. Seen many people underwhelmed by the Philippines if they went after having been to Thailand
>>
How much money should I save up if I want to teach english in Thailand? I am very poorfag already and I am used to being frugal
>>
>>1116557
Going to SEA nowadays is like going to a fucking theme park
>>
>>1116888
I love theme parks
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.