[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Czech Republic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Download.png (1 KB, 227x151) Image search: [Google]
Download.png
1 KB, 227x151
I want to travel with two friends to the Czech Republic to go hiking.
Anything that is nice to know beforehand?

Also general Czech Republic thread.
>>
>>1113310
I was there in January with my wife, we really liked Prague alot (although I personally thought Krakow was better). I would advise you that whenever you go out to eat make sure they dont fuck you on the VAT. The ticket breakdown is suppose to be

>total
>VAT amount
>total amount (same as the original total)

However some places will show you
>Total
>VAT amount
>Total+VAT

I caught a few places around the touristy places trying to pull this on me. Sorry I cant help much with anywhere outside of Prague because that was the only place we visited.
>>
>>1113337
What is VAT?
>>
File: 005_turisticke_znacky[1].jpg (334 KB, 810x597) Image search: [Google]
005_turisticke_znacky[1].jpg
334 KB, 810x597
>>1113337
That never ever happened to me after 25 years of my life in here, but I've heard there are some serious tourist traps in Prague and I believe it might happen there. Just stay away from the very obvious scams. The most touristy places in Prague aren't really filled with the most pleasant and honest people, really.

>>1113310
Hiking in Czechia can be quite enjoyable as we have a really good network of marked hiking paths. If you zoom in, you can see them in this map https://mapy.cz/turisticka
They have also an app for smartphones with offline layers.
However, the nature around here isn't really as stunning as e.g. the Alps or Scandinavia. You might want to try Krkonoše or Šumava or Jeseníky.

Where do you want to go anyway?
>>
>>1113345

thanks for the link, we wanted to go to Krkonoše.
But we havent worked out the details yet. Somehow i cant find a decent way from housing to housing.
>>
File: Výstřižek.png (144 KB, 621x701) Image search: [Google]
Výstřižek.png
144 KB, 621x701
>>1113347
it even has a route planner for tourists
to be absolutely honest, mapy.cz is the best map server worldwide I know about
forget about Google maps when in Czechia.
they even got tourist maps with altitude and hiking paths for other countries, but those are based on openstreetmaps data I think

>Krkonoše
the highest and imho most interesting mountains, but also the most favourite and touristy of them all
if you want more laidback atmosphere then go for Šumava or Jeseníky
>>
I'm also interested. I've been yet in Prague and I believe I say everything but the clock (it was under maintenance in the very week I stayed there). Aside from Pilsen and Czesky Krumlov, where more should I go in Czech Republic?
>>
>>1113359
Why would you go to Pilsen? Do they have at least some interesting beer museum or anything?
>>
File: 20160119_200133.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160119_200133.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>1113338
Value
Added
Tax

Have you ever been to Europe before? VAT's are everywhere over there

>>1113345
It was this restaurant. It looked like a fairly new restaurant, the food sucked.
>>
>>1113368
Jesus christ, just took a look at their menu and prices online. It has to be either a 5 star restaurant or just the biggest scam you can get into.
General rule in Czechia: you never pay more than 200 CZK for a full dinner in average restaurant. And I mean full dinner, not just one meal.
>>
>>1113370
It was really close to my hotel (near the US embassy) so its probably a scam. To be fair I ate in a few shops away from the tourist route and the average meal cost about 300CZK.
>>
>>1113374
I literally have no words. The most famous Czech chef's restaurant that is located in the city centre near Náměstí Republiky serves daily menu for 199 CZK and that's one of the best meals you can get here.
>>
>>1113376
Do you mean whole meal or just main course?

>http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/menu?id=11880

Their Main courses are under 200CZK but I would always get a appetizer as well as a side or two to splurge since I was traveling.
>>
bumping for interest,
I'm starting to have an interest in visiting Czech Republic,
How hard is to communicate outside Prague without knowing Czech? (I speak English, Spanish and French btw)
I'm interested in the folk, and also "weird" or not so common museums for exemple the open air museums
any recomendations?
>>
>>1113835
The knowledge of English is unfortunately not so good around here, even among the younger generation. However it's not like we are isolated from the surrounding world. People meet foreigners and are used to communicate even not speaking Czech, when it's needed. Be prepared for some hardcore Czenglish, though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.