[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What vaccines do you have? Which ones do you believe are essential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Universal-Flu-Vaccine1.jpg (19 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
Universal-Flu-Vaccine1.jpg
19 KB, 460x287
What vaccines do you have? Which ones do you believe are essential for a typical /trv/eller? I believe I mostly hear about Hepatitis. Is there anything else?
>>
Depends on where you go. For much of Africa I needed yellow fever and polio (the latter is given to everyone in America). On top of those I got tetanus, diptheria, Hep A and B
>>
>>1113150

Hep A and B, and Japanese encephalitis I think.

Which reminds me, I gotta go get my update shot for hep A and B.
>>
>>1113171
Doesn't hep shots last 30 years? That's what the vaccine lady told me. I thought about japanese encephalitis but you need like 2 shots and they cost like 140 USD each. And the protection only lasts 5 years. Are they really worth it?
>>
>>1113175

I think it was like 10 years, and you need a second shot to make it lifetime. At least thats what I remember.

Nope japanese encephalitis is probably not worth it. The risk of getting it is tiny anyway.
>>
>>1113168
Yup, research the area. Typhoid and rabies might needed/a safe bet as well depending on where you go.
>>
>>1113150
I would get Hep A&B for anywhere, even just walking down the street.

The rest depends on what you're doing and where you're going.
>>
>>1113175
If you plan on traveling a lot in Asia especially (though it does appear elsewhere) in the next few years I definitely recommend it. Yes the chance of getting it is slim but in case you would get it you will die or at least become invalidized fast.
>>
>>1113150
Typhoid is a really good idea for third world countries with terrible sanitation. I know people who contracted it in places like India.
>>
Before I went on my first trip, I was immunized against Hep A and B, took an oral typhoid vaccination that lasts for five or six years, and had a tetanus booster. I'll probably get a yellow fever vac some time soon.
>>
>>1113150
Hep, typhoid, Japanese encephalitis, and yellow fever (that's not because I have ever been at serious risk of it, as far as I know, but because I've needed to show proof of it). And then the general vaccinations one gets in the civilized world (a tetanus booster, etc.). Better safe than sorry.

No vaccine yet, of course, but I've also used antimalarials (doxycycline) on two occasions.
>>
>>1113175
>I thought about japanese encephalitis but you need like 2 shots and they cost like 140 USD each. And the protection only lasts 5 years. Are they really worth it?
JE risks are incredibly low for almost everyone, even some 'real travelers.' But the disease is so awful if you do get it that I believe it's worth preventing. One in five chance it will kill you. If you survive there's a huge risk of brain damage or other permanent injury. Well worth $60/year to insure against, in my opinion.
>>
>>1113168
The only vaccine I got for Africa was yellow fever, and I did that in Ethiopia for a door when I got there. Drank local water, ate raw meat and tons of other things I shouldn't have and never had a problem.. Of course I only did this since I couldn't get any tropical vaccines where I was traveling from.
>>
>>1113150
>I believe I mostly hear about Hepatitis
What's the alternative? 100,000 non-covered by insurance cure for C drug? Cancer? Transplant list? It's deadly and completely preventable. Will you eat in a restaurant, ever, even at home? Y/N, get Hep A. Will you ever have a blood transfusion? Get raped by a carrier? Have a spouse cheating with a carrier? Work in a medical facility? Ever help someone as a good Samaritan? Y/N, of course you don't know, so you get what is available on the market.

When it comes to "worth it" considerations, it should NOT be about the cost of the vaccine if under $300 really. It should be about the risk of exposure balanced with the cost of contracting it, period. Sometimes it's not easily found or obtained, but might be something you can get in larger cities with international airports (or even locally in that country upon visiting).
>>
File: 25457EE8D0.jpg (49 KB, 632x186) Image search: [Google]
25457EE8D0.jpg
49 KB, 632x186
I've got all of these vaccines + typhoid fever vaccine, Japanese encephalitis vaccine & Meningococcal vaccine

Didn't have to pay anything for any of those thanks to not living in a 3rd world country
>>
>>1113168
You may need Malaria
shots but in Africa there are exceptions.
My father is going to Eritrea and Malaria doesn't exist in the highlands in the Horn of Africa due to altitude.
>>
I work with metal so tetanus always up to date.

The rest depends on the destination. I tend to gravitate around North America and sometimes Europe so not much really.
>>
>>1113402
>Didn't have to pay anything for any of those
What, you mean just the pic or did your state seriously fund shit like typhoid and jap enceph?
>>
>>1113420
All those vaccines in the pic belong to the national vaccination program that is given to every child for free of course.

And if you're travelling to countries that have a reasonable risk of catching diseases like typhoid or encephalitis, you can get them for free if you're a student or in the military and if you're not either of them you just have to pay something like 18-30€ which is just peanuts considering that it's your health on the line if you don't take them.
>>
>>1113422
Out of curiosity, what country?
>>
>>1113426
Finland

And by the military i mean conscription, not actually enlisting in the army to fight abroad
>>
>>1113427
Well shit, I'm jelly about the refunded exotic disease vaccines. Here in Poland we get your pic for free too (except without hep A, stingy bastards) but everything else you pay full price out of your own pocket.
>>
>>1113427
What the fuck I live in Sweden and we get nothing of the sort. Are we officially third world?
>>
I've got Hep B vaccine because I like those bareback blowjobs.

The rest is for faggots.

(oh, and Hep B vaccination is free where I live (france))
>>
>>1113402

>Didn't have to pay anything for any of those thanks to not living in a 3rd world country

What are taxes?
>>
>>1113572
Yes you fuck, we do get vaccinated. If you're 80s you most likely had one shot when you were born and another during primary school, if you're 90s then probably only during school years.

However we have to pay for hep a+b, jap encephalitis, rabies and anything stomach bacteria related. Thanks to our shitty government they now cost ~500-1100 SEK per fucking shot. Up about 10x prices since the last twenty years.

>sauce
Just booked a visit with the local clinic because I need all that shit for working abroad.
>>
>>1113689
>However we have to pay for hep a+b, jap encephalitis, rabies and anything stomach bacteria related.
That's my point you idiot. The Finnish guy said they get it for free if you are a student.
>>
>>1113791
I just checked the prices for non-students and some guy said that hep a+b, jap encephalitis, rabies, yellow fever and meningococcus vaccines would cost you roughly 450€ if you don't get them for free
>>
I'm starting malaria vaccine pills tomorrow, just got tetanus, already have heps, and right before I go I'm gonna start doxycycline.

I'm going to India so the doctor also gave me Ciprofloxacin HCL to take in case I come down with anything.
>>
>>1113891
>I'm starting malaria vaccine pills tomorrow,
No such animal--do you mean an antimalarial? Which one? Recommend against mefloquine (Lariam, etc.) because of the freaky side effects (horrifying nightmares, sometimes daytime paranoia), but your doc should know what works in India.
>right before I go I'm gonna start doxycycline.
So you're doubling up on antimalarials, or is doxy used prophylactically for other stuff too? Only times I've used it were for malaria prevention, since I was in an area with resistance to the big guns.
>Cipro
A good thing to have. Will kill microbe-based diarrhea. Don't forget to rehydrate too. Also don't take it unless you get the appropriately terrible shits, of course. Unnecessary antibiotics aren't good for you and contribute to the breeding of antibiotic-resistant strains of stuff (this was the reason I was wondering about the doxy--don't take it if you're already taking something else to do the same thing).
>>
File: rick-steves-passport.jpg (20 KB, 225x243) Image search: [Google]
rick-steves-passport.jpg
20 KB, 225x243
>>1113916
Oh sorry, I got it mixed up. I'm taking Vivotif starting today for typhoid then the doxy for malaria. Thanks a ton, by the way, your question led me to looking up this stuff more and it turns out that doxy and Vivotif should not be taken within 3 days of each other. The doctor said to start the doxy two days before the trip but, being that I'll take the last round of Vivotif the day before, I guess I'll wait a few days to start the anti-malarial. I just went to a random doctor my family recommended me, I'm not sure how experienced he is in travel medication.

So basically the Cipro should be used as a last line of defense? Like: get shits -> take imodium and charcoal tablets a bit later, still shitting ->take Imodium again, still shitting ->take Cipro?

Thanks again guy, you may have saved me from having a fucking terrible time mixing the medications.
>>
File: 605438693_1c4067bcb7.jpg (127 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
605438693_1c4067bcb7.jpg
127 KB, 333x500
>>1113168
Got these. Yellow fever was for a trip to Ghana that got cancelled, so it was a waste of money unless I get to go some place with a good infestation of yellow fever in the next few years.

I've also used anti-malarials when in a place where that seemed advised, and there long enough to feel the risk building. Not really a vaccine, but I'll mention it.

>>1113183
IS there a human rabies vaccine? I am way out of date in my knowledge of rabies vaccines, if so.

>>1113402
>>1113680

Let's not help make /trv/ any more /pol/ than it already is. If you really want to have this conversation, which will get off-topic really fast, keep it civil, please.

>>1113916
>Recommend against mefloquine (Lariam, etc.) because of...

I'd reccomend whichever one is effective against the malaria strains where you are going. Taking a kinder, gentler pill that does nothing for you is a waste of time. If the side effects of what works where you are traveling outweigh mitigating the risk is a different decision.

>>1114037
>So basically the Cipro should be used as a last line of defense?

Yeah, that is my understanding. But don;t waste it on just common travelers squirts that you can clear up with Imodium, it is to fight of an infection that is not going to go away otherwise.

>you may have saved me from having a fucking terrible time mixing the medications.

/trv/ remains best board on 4chan. People save each other, and thank each other.
>>
>>1114054
>>IS there a human rabies vaccine? I am way out of date in my knowledge of rabies vaccines, if so.
Yes, there is, though I don't know if it's in any vaccination calendar in any country.
I believe they leave these shots only for people who work with animals (vets, dog shelter people and such) and those who are going to travel to a risk area.
For the rest of the population, they stick with drug treatment after infection.
>>
>>1114037
>So basically the Cipro should be used as a last line of defense? Like: get shits -> take imodium and charcoal tablets a bit later, still shitting ->take Imodium again, still shitting ->take Cipro?
Yeah, basically. I think the last time I got a Cipro script, my doctor said I should use it if I had severe trots for more than five days. And rehydration, including oral rehydration salts/solution (ORS) if necessary (available in packets at chemists' in India, don't need to mix your own [although there are good recipes online] or bring them with you; Gatorade isn't actually good enough, contrary to popular belief) is MUCH more important than Immodium, which will lesson your symptoms but not fix the problem.

If you need Immodium to be able to take a bus ride without soiling yourself, by all means, take it. But the best thing to do is stay in one place, abuse a hotel toilet for a few days, and guzzle purified water and appropriate electrolytes. Many bugs that cause the shits will be gone in a few days; if they're not, the Cipro is your friend. But the water and salts are the most important things.

A big part of why diarrhea is often fatal to kids in the developing world is because if parents do what is best for the health of the little one, which is rehydrate, rehydrate, rehydrate, THEN focus on eliminating whatever bug is causing it, the pooping generally gets worse in the short term, so they think the poor kid is getting worse. If they stop concentrating on rehydrating and just give something like Immodium, the excess outflow reduces some but the dehydration (the really harmful part of most diarrheal disease) can be exacerbated. It's the saddest thing in the world.
>>1114054
Absolutely, the guy should take whatever antimalarial his doctor recommends--the CDC website is a good resource for which preventatives/prophylactics have resistance in various regions. But it sounds like he's using doxy for malaria prophylaxis--don't think there's resistance to that.
>>
>>1114054
>IS there a human rabies vaccine? I am way out of date in my knowledge of rabies vaccines, if so.
Yes. I'm heading to south part of China.

One doctor recommended it for potential street dogs (she had experience of some guy getting bitten) and second doctor told me it's not necessary.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.