[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it feasible to just hit the road with a fully stocked backpack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 0
Is it feasible to just hit the road with a fully stocked backpack and a few thousand dollars in savings, and just explore the U.S. for a couple of months? Could taking busses, hitchhiking, dumpster diving, couchsurfing, and sleeping on benches be relied upon as practical cost saving measures?
>>
>>1112806
I would recommend getting familiar with the laws in different states.

For example, in Washington you can stay overnight at rest stops for as long as you like, but in South Dakota you can't.
>>
>>1112806
You can't go as cheap as sleeping in public. You're more likely to become a target for crime, or get charged with vagrancy. But backpacking and living cheap is legal.

Check out craigslist joe. If you're patient, friendly and have few reservations you can pretty much travel for free.
>>
>>1113477
Right. I would want to try to rely on Couchsurfing and AirBNB as much as possible to cut costs. I was just thinking of sleeping outside as a last resort scenario.
The plan would be to see how long I could stay on the road and stretch my budget. Ya, I was thinking of using craigslist to look up rideshares, but I also want to try hitchhiking at least once. I could rely on trains and Greyhound if all else fails.
>>
>>1113484
>hitchhiking
>trains
>greyhound
Your experience of the USA is going to suck
>>
>>1113484
>greyhound
It's like you WANT to get decapitated
>>
Go to bed Ant.
>>
The point of this trip is to see as much as I can, and have as many interesting new experiences as I can. Not to spend a bunch of money being pampered and cozy the whole time. I want to be pushed out of my comfort zone. I don't mind being uncomfortable in the short term if I t means I can have interesting stories to tell for the rest of my life. Basically, I'd rather be uncomfortable on a bus/train and see more states, than be cozy in a plane and see fewer states.
>>
>>1113813
if you're going greyhound you're gonna want to bring something to decapitate people with
>>
>>1113813
https://www.reddit.com/r/vagabond/
lots to read here
>>
What's Greyhound ?
>>
>>1113870
A bus service in which decapitations are common
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.