[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Petra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: petra-jordan-photos-treasury.jpg (326 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
petra-jordan-photos-treasury.jpg
326 KB, 1024x682
Thinking of making a 3 day stop in Jordan on my way back from SEA, anyone been to Petra, how was it?
>>
Amazing. One of the highlights of my life. It's like a more sparsely-visited Disneyland for adventurous adults. We were climbing down the sides of mountains, jumping from cliff to cliff, exploring inside old ruins... 2 days is a decent amount of time to see the whole place, although I could do more. It's massive, and getting around is very tiring. Bear in mind that it's about a day's travel there and back.
>>
>>1112554
bumping for interest

So did the Israelis give you shit when you returned across the border? I hear they tend to hassle travelers a lot.

Would you say it's better to fly directly to Jordan instead of driving around?
>>
>>1112536
It was great, really beautiful. We crossed the border from Eilat, Israel, went to Petra for the day and came back. The bus ride there is also really nice. There are a lot of kids there who beg for money, besides that it was a really nice trip.
>>
>>1112536
It was ok. I was pissed a lot because the Jordanian government keeps upping the price to enter Petra because they know people will keep coming no matter what and as soon as you get into the gates the locals all ask for baksheesh to do anything, even shit that's supposed to be included in your ticket.

Once I got away from the treasury and went up the hill to the monastery and the part of the city that's away from the shitheads it was much better. People there were cooler and they weren't demanding you buy something or get out of their sight. I took a nap in this guy's bedouin tent while he played the oud.
>>
>>1112685

Who the fuck said I crossed the border? Bear in mind flying directly to Jordan still means spending a day travelling to and from Petra
>>
>>1112554
>>1112926
> a day there and back
Some do it on a day trip from Tel-Aviv, with a tour. I'm pretty sure there are single-day tours from Amman as well. I personally think it's really cramming it, and clearly not enough time to see Petra. But it's an option - depending on how much time you have and what else you want to do you might choose it
>>
Hey I'm the English guy from a couple of years back that lived in Wadi Musa (town next to Petra) for 6 months.

I cant reply now but I will tomorrow, this is just me reminding myself to do it.

If you can reply with your travel itinerary (from where, to where, how long, etc) I might be able to add some more interesting things in that most tourists don't hear about.
>>
>>1113204
Did you ever have to deal with the secret police closing Wadi Musa down every night? I got caught by them once.
>>
>>1113204
Is Petra (or Jordan even) a good place to stay for long durations (around 6 months +). I'm interested in visiting but not sure if two weeks is too long.
>>
It's very Mortal Kombaty-
>>
>>1113204
Might go with the gf on the way back from SEA. Will she have to hijab it?
>>
>>1113331
Petra isn't a place you visit for longer than a day. It's a ruin. It's like asking if the Roman Colosseum is good to visit for 2 weeks.

As for Jordan in general, it depends on the place. Amman is very livable. Good food, cosmopolitan people, cool atmosphere. Wadi Musa, on the other hand, you might find yourself going nuts after a week from boredom.
>>
>>1113421
Sorry, though Petra was a city! Thanks for the correction.

Also, wanted to say for 2 weeks, not 6 months on my original post.
But yeah, I'm looking to go somewhere for two weeks (preferabably in the middle east) and thought of Jordan. What othern things can you see/do in Jordan apart from Petra?
>>
>>1113425
Wadi Rum, Aqaba, Bedouin camping, Red Sea diving, Dead Sea floating, tons of ruins from Romans and earlier. Lots to do.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.