[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Layover Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
Hey mates. I have a 6+ hours layover at San Francisco airport in a few days and am researching things to do in SF.

Does anyone have a personal recommendation for the city? Thinking Fisherman's Wharf so far.
>>
Take at least an hour and fifteen off the six to account for BART from and back to the airport.
>>
>>1112331
That plus controls getting out of & into the airport again.
Read 'Good Old Neon' by David Foster Wallace while you're stretching out the seemingly interminable goals.
>>
>>1112331
>>1112356
Thanks. I know to allow more time as I've taken side day trips to other cities before. I just don't know much about SF other than startups and gay guys.
>>
I saw some survey about the best restaurant assortments at US airports and San Fran's airport was #2.

Also, if you do leave the airport, take the BART (subway) to downtown and board the Embarcadero (E Line) or the Market & Wharves (F Line) streetcars to Fisherman's Wharf (I believe it's faster than the famous cable cars and they use historic equipment, too). Now, Fisherman's Wharf is a giant tourist trap area, so keep that in mind. While there, I'd check out Dungeons. It's an interactive edutainment museum that explores San Francisco's dark history. It's part of a chain of other Dungeons attractions based in England, and this is the first one in the US. They also run the Madame Tussaud's Wax Museums, and there is one right next door to the San Fran Dungeons.
>>
>>1112365
Really shitty tourist trap like somewhere without anything good?
Anything you'd recommend instead if it's that shitty?
>>
File: Toronado_0480.jpg (77 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
Toronado_0480.jpg
77 KB, 600x488
Have a Pliny the Elder on tap at Toronado.
>>
>>1112596
Check out Chinatown, it's one of the oldest parts of SF since the Chinese weren't allowed to stay on their ships when they arrived, unlike the miners in the gold rush, so they were one of SF's first neighborhoods.

It feels like you're going to China when you visit it.
>>
>>1112596
Not all tourist traps are shitty. It's just a place where you'll see more tourists than natives. Anyway, there are many other places to check out in San Fran, but given your tight time window, Fisherman's Wharf and also Chinatown like this guy said: >>1112706 are your best options in terms of close proximity to BART. Those two areas are both less than two miles north from Market Street, where the BART travels, and the streetcars can take you the rest of the way.
>>
>>1112727
Oh, and to specify...use the cable cars to get to Chinatown and the electric streetcars to get to Fisherman's Wharf.
>>
>>1112706
>>1112727
>>1112730
Awesome guys. Thanks. My flight is tomorrow so I'll be looking more into Chinatown for sure.

Research looked like it's almost 20$ round trip BART from/to the airport, but I didn't notice it specifying transfers. Any of you know if that BART pass I can buy in advance will act like a day pass or whatever so I can use the cable cars and stuff with it?
>>
I could help I need $1000 dollars for travel to San Francisco
>>
>>1112324
Fishermans Wharf is utter shit. Was incredibly dissapointed, just 100 % plastic stores and restaurants that are massive tourist traps

Just dont go there
>>
>>1112951
I believe BART and Muni (the streetcars and cable cars) are run by two separate organizations, so you will need to pay separately for the cable car. There is a BART station right at Market and Powell where the cable car starts, and there are probably places to buy tickets for the cable car all over the place, so I don't think you'll have problems.
>>
>>1112951

In Chinatown, Grant Ave is the tourist street. Running parallel one street west is Stockton St, which is where the Chinese people actually do business. Lots of shops, especially towards Broadway. If you're interested in getting a snack, I can recommend Capital on Clay St. between Stockton and Grant. The spicy chicken wings are famous -- $7 for about ten. There's also Sam Wo, one block away between Grant and Kearny. Good noodles and an Old SF tradition recently re-opened.
>>
>>1113169
Definitely agree with this. Grant St is fake Chinatown, just for tourists. Stockton is where real Chinatown shit is, also great food for cheap. People who complain about not being able to eat well for cheap in SF haven't been to those places. You can get delicious bahnmis for like $2.50, which is a whole lunch if you're not a fat fuck.
>>
>>1113316
I was rather disappointed with the Chinatown San Francisco in general. It's mostly tourist stuff and old people. A while later I went to New York and the Chinatown there was much more like what I was expecting.
>>
>>1112324
To add to this thread, I have two full days in SF in early August. What to do/not do?
>>
>>1113319
You went to Grant St, didn't you? The street we all said to avoid?

There's no way you went to Stockton St and thought it was touristy. They're gutting fish on the sidewalk and nobody speaks English on Stockton.
>>
File: New_Sam_Wo_location_on_Clay_St.jpg (176 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
New_Sam_Wo_location_on_Clay_St.jpg
176 KB, 800x1067
>>1113169
I went on Yelp! and discovered that out of the Top 10 Chinese restaurants in San Fran, only two of them were in Chinatown (the tourist trade has ruined things, perhaps?). Anyway, Sam Wo was one of those two. Sounds like a legit place.
>>
>>1114565
Yelp isn't gonna tell you about Chinatown man. Yelp is for white yuppies who are too scared of going in to Chinatown. The best places in Chinatown maybe only have 1 review on Yelp from some white 23 year old marketing intern named Becky who complains that the atmosphere didn't feel clean.
>>
>>1114533
I went all over Chinatown. Stockton was better, but nothing special.
>>
File: noid.jpg (53 KB, 502x550) Image search: [Google]
noid.jpg
53 KB, 502x550
>>1112324
>6 hours
>going to try to get to the city and back
>mfw

so did you miss your connection, op?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.