[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planning on traveling to Israel in a few months. Mostly Tel Aviv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 1370990370353.png (91 KB, 419x429) Image search: [Google]
1370990370353.png
91 KB, 419x429
Planning on traveling to Israel in a few months. Mostly Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Aside from the epic /pol/ memes, do you guys have any tips and/or must see attractions? I'm mostly interested in cultural/historical sites, but am open to other options.

Also, I've heard about the comprehensive security measures at Ben Gurion Airport. If anyone has some insight on what to expect at the airport, I would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>1112130
Israel is also secretly a sex tourism hotspot. There are brothels EVERYWHERE in Tel Aviv and prices are around $100 a bang with some Russian Jewess qt 3.14s.
>>
>>1112168
>Jewess

Lol do you think these blood sucking parasites would sacrifice one of their own?

They enslave Russians because non jews are considered subhuman in their culture.
>>
>>1112130
The airport is trying to find out if you are actually a tourist, can leave on your own cognition and funds, and if you'd get into trouble or create trouble while there, political trouble. They have known enemies, so they might ask you more than other countries. What you want to do is be ready and able to hand over an email and facebook password, and answer normal questions that any normal person could easily offer in response. Why would anyone worry about that? You shouldn't.
Open-ended and vague travel isn't typical. Most people coming to this country have tours and packages because there so SO much to pack in during typical vacations. So, if you aren't staying with family and friends, you'd have a pretty good idea about your first 5 days of course. You'd have reservation and confirmation, and some itinerary stuff printed out and ready to show. When I'm traveling somewhere high season and I need to keep organized, I copy paste links and slap those addresses and reservations and plans into my google calendar, and then simply print out my weekly schedule. Done.

They're not really happy with Jordan trips or seeing the Palestinian sides of Israel plans, makes you look kind of sympathetic or sketchy. You should be interested in Bethlehem, and that's about it. That should help you to know.

The thing to keep in mind is that you aren't really personally being targeted or grilled, but that there is a higher protocol of steps that makes sense because it actually works. Being asked the same question more than once is their job. Be honest and straightforward. This is one of the safest countries in the world because it has to be. El Al is probably the safest airline as well.

For sites to see, I really do suggest a guidebook' list is long. If you plan to have cell coverage, it's a pretty tech country with great guides online for everything from restaurants to things to do in the evenings. I liked the garden at Yad Vashem.
>>
>>1112187
JIDF shills on my /trv/ ? It's more likely than you think. You obviously have an Israeli passport so you won't get subjected to the harassment that foreigners do, and don't know about it.

The border guards are idiots and pricks, just because they can be. Anyone who claims they are highly trained professionals doing a good job is either delusional or lying.

OP, have you full itinerary and hotel/hostel/whatever bookings printed out and ready to show. If you are young guy traveling alone, it's very likely you will be pulled over for an extended interrogation lasting several hours. Just be honest about your plans and eventually they will (hopefully) let you go. Expect to be interrogated over and over again with very stupid and racist questions.

>do you know muslims?
>do you know arabs?
>do you have muslim or arab friends?

And so on. It's like that when you try to leave the country as well. Hopefully you don't have any middle eastern roots, because that will make it ten times worse.
>>
>>1112205
Will they actually expect people to not know Muslims? I come from fucking Canada and I want to go to Israel. Should I just give up now? Lol
>>
>>1112231
Their interrogation questions were made over 50 years ago and haven't changed to reflect the modern world. Of course everyone knows muslims these days. Some of my coworkers are muslims for example.

Expect the people who will be doing the interrogation to be complete idiots who have never ventured outside of Israel and be extremely paranoid and think everyone in the world is plotting against them. Nothing you can do about it, really, except to have your full plans printed out from the start and be honest. They will eventually let you go, even if they are butthurt. Which they will be if you know muslims.

I'm as white as they come, and from a country with next to no muslims. Doesn't help against those morons.
>>
The Israel/Palestine border is an interesting contrast between the airport border guards. Completely the opposite. I went to Palestine from Jerusalem, and the bus didn't even stop at the checkpoint. On the way back:

>walk to checkpoint, see bored guards
>place bag on x-ray belt, walk through metal detector
>beep, the guy watching couldn't care less, he hands me my bag without having even looked at the x-ray screen
>at passport control, hand over my passport, guard returns it to me without even opening it
>walk out and I'm in Israel again

Seriously, if you're a tourist, they don't give a shit at the Israel/Palestine borders.
>>
>>1112233
So if I'm a decent liar, is it just best to say that I don't know any Muslims? I'm a dark ass Asian so its a blessing in almost any developed country as I can blend in but it's a nightmare in racist countries lol
>>
>>1112205
Yes, the proper answer is nahhh, I don't know anyone really. And if you are best buds with one, as evidenced by your facebook or other public records, then you give the names and minimize your acquaintance, they pore through their database, and you're good to go. WTF isn't hard. How would it be racist if they need to know if you're a liar who means them harm? It's not.

Anyone spending hours, alone or not, has failed a few initial questions and profiles, and set off the radar. They have their version of no fly lists, and you're not a Kennedy.
>>
>>1112271
Jesus christ, can you stop shilling so hard?
>>1112233
An acquaintance of mine in college was Palestinian, he actually had to miss a semester because they revoked his travel rights during a visit home, graduated a year late because of some graduation requirement for his major. I haven't talked to him in like 8 years and he might not even remember me, but it's nice to know that I could be indefinitely detained and deported if some racist warmongers decided to go through my facebook friends list. This is why I'll never visit that apartheid shit hole and I don't buy agricultural products if they say "product of israel" on them.
>>
I'm Iranian-American and have gone to Iran several times in the past. What would happened if I went to Israel?
>>
>>1112281
Why don't you ask your embassy?
>>
>>1112168
The brothels are boring unless you really like Russian girls. I know they're a big deal to Asians, but I get bored with them. Nothing special to me.
>>
>>1112130
Make sure to take a road trip through Sinai to Egypt.

It's a fun, safe and interesting drive for the whole family.
>>
I don't remember Ben Gurion being specifically bad but I remember when me and my mom were interrogated by an agent for Air Al.

Why are you going to Israel, where are you going? how long are you going to be there? what synagogue do you attend? whats your rabbis name? etc. This was in Newark Airport.
>>
>>1112271
The only ones who get the hours-long interrogation are those who are potential terrorists. That's according to shills. Not reality.

You're a liar.
>>
>>1112281
You will be interrogated (harassed) for several hours at the border. But you will probably be let in, eventually.
>>
>>1112281
Is your current passport clean of any Iranian stamps? You'll get complications for sure with an Iranian name and birthplace.

I have a friend, he's Indian (brown skin, lol) but Christian, and his family has been Christian for generations. But his parents gave all their children (like the parents themselves have) names based on classical Mughal (i.e. Persian) poetry, just because his dad was kinda literary like that. To make it worse, he was born in Kuwait (came to the West when he was 9 years old), where hundreds of thousands of middle-class expat Indians work.

Once he went to Israel with his church youth group to see Christian sites and vacation (they're not hard core Christians and went clubbing a lot, lots of hooking up with other group members as well). Everyone went through security within several minutes, but he was held up for 3.5 hours. They were super skeptical of him and grilled him on his names, his family history, his upbringing in Kuwait, the political leanings of he and his family, why would he have a Muslim-sounding name if he wasn't Muslim and was born in Kuwait? Apparently they brought in a female soldier who knew a lot about Christianity to ask him questions to see if he really knew shit about Jesus or not.
>>
>>1112130
I can show you around jerusalem if you want. Leave me your email
>>
>>1112401
This. They are very careful to weed out anyone with involvement in human rights affairs or politics. If you have any kind of track record with that stuff, even not related specifically to Israel, expect that they will see you coming and be prepared to hand over your email and facebook passwords. Best to try to purge your online profile of anything like that. Search your email account for words that they might search it for.
>>
Did t read the thread so sorry if mentioned already but Masada is a must see if you have time.

Taybeh, about 20 mins from Ramallah, has the only brewery in Palestine. Happy to see tourists, expect to get tipsy from free samples
>>
>>1112448
So in other words, muslim name, muslim country of birth, and he fit every single possible profiling category as sketchy, and was therefore, stopped for a profile reason. Are we supposed to marvel at the incredible bad luck for his name/citizenship/place of birth or that was unfair because he identified as Christian when asked? What's the point here? He obviously answered questions to get out of it.

I've waited in Toronto for 2.5 hours, just for the damn lines, and no other reasons. I resented every damn minute of it because it was for no reason other than saving money on employee hours in their customs and immigration staffing. Same can happen to connecting passengers in Miami. I've never been stopped or detained because I didn't have stupid parents or answer questions stupidly. I've been to Israel repeatedly, don't have stupid enemy state stamps in my passport (and probably never will given the state of the region for safey), and never had an issue. I also grew up with jews and love them. I grew up with christian palestinean expats and they love jews too. Some of the bullshit in this thread and threads like it comes from ignorance that causes some pretty extreme judgement of unfair practices. Every country in the world has the right to refuse entry for whatever reason they deem fit. They serve their country.
>>
Looks like the shills are hard at work removing wrong opinions. I guess not wanting to be treated like a terrorist is anti semitic?
>>
>>1113457
How much did you get paid for that shill post? You just attempted to justify the completely incompetent and openly racist behavior of Israeli border guards. Do you seriously think that any other country would harass foreigners in that way indiscriminately? And if you yourself were subject to such treatment anywhere, would you seriously just say it's their right and accept it? Of course not. You just give Israel a free pass.
>>
>>1112281
I'm Iranian but was born in Sweden and have lived all my life here. I'm an avid traveller who basically wants to see the entire world so in January this year I felt like a fitting trip would be to visit the western parts of the Middle East, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt. My first stop was Tel Aviv and the Ben Gurion airport, and then go from there to Jordan and the other countries. I had read a lot of horror stories about people getting stuck at the airport, especially for people with Middle Eastern origins, but delusional as I was I expected to get through eventually as I thought being born in Sweden and being an atheist would account for something but no fuck that.

I still don't know exactly why I wasn't let in (they just say security reasons and leave it at that) but I have my ideas. I was travelling standby as an airline employee so I had no fixed dates. I didn't have all my accommodations booked and an itinerary for exactly everything I planned to do. I was travelling alone. I had also been travelling for a long time and was shaking uncontrollably during the interrogation, maybe because of tiredness but obviously nervousness as well, this made it all seem more suspicious of course. All in all the biggest factor is likely my Iranian origin as at least 50% of all the questions were about my family. Some questions I couldn't even give proper answers to which again made it more suspicious because they think it's weird that I don't stay in touch with family that I haven't seen for 12 years...

I still feel terrible about this trip because I was literally robbed of a vacation and so many places to see. Also because I should probably have gone the other direction and maybe had more luck that way. I still haven't given up the dream to visit this region and maybe I'll go in the winter again but I wonder if it's harder now because they have added me to a black list or whatever.

Feel free to ask questions if you want more details.
>>
>>1113569
It's racism, plain and simple. It's deeply institutionalized into Israeli society. Any non-jewish middle easterners are treated like third class citizens.
>>
>>1113521
Israel is the only democracy in the middle east so that liberal homos like you aren't beheaded. Think about that before you point fingers
>>
>>1113457
Actually his (first) name is pre-Islamic Persian-Indian hybrid, but of course some Israeli soldiers aren't going to know that. His last name is even 'Salvador', which is about Christian as you can get. He was also, in case you missed that point, with a CHURCH GROUP. They were travelling together and even wore cheesy matching t-shirts that said "St.XYZ Israel Pilgrimage 2009" with a cross and outline of some Jerusalem church on it.

As far as he told me, he was straightforward when questioned, since he figured he would be profiled (not the first time). He's an intelligent, pretty meek, nerdy dude. Wasn't trying to get out of anything. Not sure how you interpreted is 'answer[ed] questions stupidly'.

His parents were following a family naming tradition, not thinking "Hmmm, let's give him a name just so that one day when he goes to Israel, he can get grilled and have a story to tell to anger hyper-defensive Jewish shills on the internet".

Have you rubbed your shekels together today, yet?
>>
>>1113737
I'll also point out that, fwiw, he clearly does look Indian and not Middle Eastern.
>inb4 arr rooky same

I actually met up with him after in Egypt. It was our plan to travel together since he'd be in the middle east for his Church group. Our plan was to go to Egypt, then Jordan, then Israel (hopefully, naively believing in not getting stamped), then back into Jordan to transit to Syria and finally Turkey.

Of course with his stamp, we were fucked so just flew to Turkey from Jordan instead. We could've gone to Israel too, I sorta wanted to, but he was dismissive of being hassled again.

>no homo
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.