[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heidelberg & Germany
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Heidelberg_Fotolia_47414759_S.jpg (353 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
Heidelberg_Fotolia_47414759_S.jpg
353 KB, 980x490
Hello!
Next week I'm going to Heidelberg for 4 days with my girlfriend to visit a common friend.
Is there anything interesting to see?
Interested in nature, gastronomy and art mainly, open to anything though.

We thought about renting a car so we have freedom to go to Berlin or a natural park.

Ideas?
>>
>Heidelberg
>freedom to go to Berlin

Have you checked a map?

But do check out the castle, it's nice. Heidelberg is very beautiful, and you could easily spend 4 days there even though it's small.
>>
>>1111986
Yes I guess you are right, I should give up that option. Still, I need a way to get to nice hiking places, right?
>>
>>1111982
The Hauptstrasse downtown is really fucking cool, if you're into shopping. Lots of modern shops all built into the old style buildings. The bridge and the castle are all right there too. The castle is nice, and gives you a great view of the city. There are also boat tours you can get down the river, where you stop and can explore several other smaller castles. There's also a Zoo across the river in Handschusheim. Downtown Heidelberg in general is just really fucking neat.

If you're into cars, there is a pretty popular formula 1 track in Hockenheim, which is only about half an hour away. There's also two "Technik Museums" nearby, one in Speyer and one in Sinsheim (spelling?) they are basically museums with a wide variety of airplanes, cars, and trains.

If you are looking for good food, try to go out of the city (doesn't take very far) and find a restaurant in a smaller town.

Those are the biggest things that come to mind when I think about the H-town area.

t. I lived there for 5 years
>>
>>1111982
If you have a car and are interested in art head down to Basel, 2.5h drive. They have tons of high class museums and exhibits.
>>
>>1111982
Also the weather will probably be great so you might as well check out stuff to do in the Schwarzwald (Black Forest). Hiking, guided wine tours (with tasting), biking if you're into that...
>>
>>1112025
>>1112023
>>1112013
thank you so much you guys are great
>>
File: schwetzingen.jpg (24 KB, 370x247) Image search: [Google]
schwetzingen.jpg
24 KB, 370x247
>>1112038
No problem homie. I might be biased from living there so long, but Heidelberg is one of the best places in Germany to visit if you don't have a lot of time. It's one of the lesser known big cities (not quite Berlin or Munich tier) which means it will probably feel more authentic. The whole area is just really nice. Also, if you are really interested in Nature, one thing I forgot to mention is the Castle in Schwetzingen. It's absolutely amazing, it has this massive garden/park behind it, you could easily spend up to 3 hours just walking around out there.
>>
>>1112048

That's exactly what I'm looking for!
Also, do you happen to know one of those places (pubs, restaurants, clubs, shops...) that are gems? You know, the kind of places you can only learn about after living somewhere for a while? Quality/price ratio and all.
>>
Im going to take that photo and put a watermark of my own
>>
>>1112051
Ummm, it's hard to remember exact restaurants, it's been a while since I lived there.

There's an Irish pub called "The Dubliner" and it's owned by the uncle of a guy I played rugby with there. There's an Italian place called "Il Dueto" in Bruchhausen (very small farm community just outside the city) that I always thought was really nice. Those are the only two that come to mind. Like I said, I lived there from 2005-2010, so it's definitely been a while.

My best advice is to find one of the many towns surrounding Heidelberg (Walldorf, Sandhausen, Leimen, Neckarsteinach, etc) and look for restaurants there.

There's also a really nice vineyard area just east of Leimen, which should have some nice wine tasting opportunities.
>>
File: DSC_0467.jpg (3 MB, 2896x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0467.jpg
3 MB, 2896x1944
>>1112057
love you
>>
Hey, lived in Heidelberg, Germany from 2000 to 2003, I really miss it. Make sure to get ice cream, go to a mini mall, go to the schwimbad, visit some of the awesome water parks, and tell me if they tore down the military housing I lived in when I was a kid I am never getting my childhood back fucking kill me
>>
>>1112062
address?
>>
>>1112065

Holbein ring
>>
>>1112074
Check this board with the same image for an answer
>>
I live here, it's crowded as hell these days.

For Heidelberg itself, I really recommend waking up early and check out the city before 11 am before the crowds arrive.
>>
>>1111982
I rode a bike from Frankfurt to Worms and the bike path went through some wine country and I had a delicious lunch at a winery. It was one of the best days in my trip to europe, and I understand you can do that all up and down the Rhine
>>
File: Hauptmarkt_Trier_SK.jpg (142 KB, 751x583) Image search: [Google]
Hauptmarkt_Trier_SK.jpg
142 KB, 751x583
>>1111982
Renting a car is a good idea. But don't waste time driving to Berlin. There are lot's of awesome places nearby. E.g. Trier is worth a visit.
>>
>>1111982
There are very nice hikes you can do from Heidelberg itself, 10 to 15 minutes of walking from the old town gets you in the woods, and you can hike for hours there. Very beautiful settings, and the old town itself is very nice.

Can't speak for gastronomy tho, the only thing I had while there was subway.
>>
>>1112275
>Trier is worth a visit.
Meh. I agree that there are some cool places in the area (Rüdesheim is wonderful, Wiesbaden is pretty nice too), but Trier is pretty average. It's not a shitty town but you get people telling you "it's the oldest town in Germany" and you get there and all you can do is wonder why that is.
>>
File: PortaNigra01.jpg (380 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
PortaNigra01.jpg
380 KB, 1280x720
>>1112286
Maybe because of stuff like pic related, the best preserved roman structure in Germany ? The Rheinisches Landesmuseum is great as well, so is the cathedral. You can even see some of the best examples of ottonian painted manuscripts (10th century) in the municipal archives. Trier is great if you're into ancient and medieval history.
>>
File: IMG_0788.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1832) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1832
>>1111982
>>1112051
Places to eat and drink: Vater Rhein (nice lil pub with really cheap spaghetti and beer combo, open late), Kulturbrauerei (brew pub with amazing beer and decent food), Vetter (similar to Kulturbrauerei but more touristy), Eichhörnchen (nice lil cafe with tables in the sun), Falafel (really fucking delicious middle eastern / north african food), Bar Centrale (nice sandwiches). Also ice cream from Gelatogo on the Hauptstr.

I really like Neuenheim, the area around Ladenburgerstr. is lovely. Like the other anons said, check out the surrounding towns like Ladenburg (beautiful half-wood buildings, pic related) and Schwetzingen, Worms, Speyer, Heppenheim etc.
>>
I'd check out the University of Heidelberg, classical college feel from a college founded in the 1300's
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.