[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Me and a friend of mine want to visit Ireland. We want to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: irisiii.jpg (53 KB, 700x330) Image search: [Google]
irisiii.jpg
53 KB, 700x330
Me and a friend of mine want to visit Ireland.
We want to get to know the culture, we want to drink for small money, we want to drink in a variety of pubs, we want a day-trip to Dublin, but we don't want to live directly in Dublin, because we don't want leprechauns around every corner. We want the to experience the real Ireland.

Any recommendations for a good spot?
>>
>>1111200
pro tip:
as a foreigner you will never experience the real Ireland
Every single town will have at least a couple of pubs.
Go down South lad
>>
>>1111200

Avoid Dublin like the plague - and thats coming from a Dubliner.

The west can be great - beuatiful scenery and you'll get more of the "Real" Ireland.
Galway would be a good starting point
>>
>>1111200
Gotta be on the move OP. You pick up a rental in Shannon or Dublin, travel the south half of the country, new town every night..experience the towns with dinner and pubs, drive and explore some ruins, churches, castles, during the days. It's pretty inexpensive outside of Dublin, and you'd be done with Dublin at about 1.5 days.
>>
>>1111242

I know, but I'm ready to try anyway. As I always will be a foreigner there, this is my only option.

How do you see the real Ireland? Especially, what am I missing as a foreigner?

>>1111251

Nah, I can't avoid it completly. I know, that I will be disappointed, but it would feel bad if I leave Ireland without visiting Dublin. Even though I will be disappointed ;)

Galway is still noted.

>>1111283

That's a good idea. To be honest, I never thought of that. We have about a week to spend, so there should be enough time to get a little impression.

Would you recommend travelling by train/bus or rent a car?
>>
>>1111287
>How do you see the real Ireland?
By going with an Irish person and allowing only them to talk for you
>>
If you're looking for scenery, rent a car definitely. It's fun to travel through random roads in connemara and along the oceans.
>>
>>1111314

Is it easy to rent a car there or should I rent it via internet when I'm still at home?
>>
>>1111200
Personally I'd go to Westport, maybe rent a bike and cycle out to Achill Island (which isn't really an island as it has a bridge out to it) on the Westport Greenway. There's a good hostel out on Achill which I would recommend. Do avoid Dublin and the whole east coast, as it is expensive. Maybe see the (free) national museums in Dublin, then get out.
>>
>>1111890
Should be fairly easy, pretty sure you can do it at the airport.
I would recommend walking around Galway city. Westport and Newport are also nice places. Theres some nice scenery around Sligo with decent beaches, especially if you surf(est coast in general is great for this)
Kerry and Clare is lovely as well. Honestly, just go in any direction for 5 minutes and youll find some cool scenery or historical shit
>>
>>1112525
West coast*
>>
>>1112515
So I'm in Ireland for 2 more weeks. Spent 2 days in Dublin. I saw the botanical gardens and met a German girl who gave me a tour of dublin including O'Connell street and the garden of remembrance and the like.
I'm now in cork and plan on visiting Blarney castle tomorrow but after that I have no idea what to do. I planned on going up to Castlebar because one of my home towns is sister cities with it and it's a smaller town. Galway is on the list and I was also looking at Achill. Does that sound like a good way to spend 2 weeks for the rest of my trip?
Pls advise.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.