[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to new orleans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
Im going to NOLA for 8 days in june. I dont drink but i smoke a bit of weed what should i expect? how are the women over there? any must see places?
>>
It's dirty. It isn't very safe unless you are in broad daylight in a touristy place like the Riverwalk. The zoo is nice. It rains a lot. Black people everywhere. The markets all sell the same shit. I don't really know what you're expecting from the women there.
>>
>>1110798
Do you live there?
>>
The women are freaky but you're very likely to catch a disease. French Quarter is good for everything, but some of the neighborhoods around it can be considered more "authentic". There's more sobering things such as the Audobon Zoo and National WWII Museum depending on your mood.
>>
>>1110758
Anon if I see you on the street car taking up two seats, I'll wreck your shit.
Club life is nice downtown, but your a smoker so you may find the city boring.
>>
>>1111075
NOLA isnt weed friendly?
>>
File: 1454621317810.png (1 MB, 1522x888) Image search: [Google]
1454621317810.png
1 MB, 1522x888
A whole lot of negative nancies in this thread

I made this image a few months ago and posted it here...circled in red are good areas for tourists, black is avoid at all costs, and anything else is just residential areas/not worth mentioning

If you want to go to a great modern night club go to the Metropolitan. If you want to get drunk but also see jazz and blues go to Frenchmen Street. Women are trashier than in, say, New Hampshire, but it's still America.
>>
>>1111522
thanks anon. it sucks how many autists here will blindly hate on NOLA just because of black people
>>
>>1111522
what happens on the side south of the river?
>>
>>1111528
Nothing interesting. There are good restaurants but they're spread out and not easy to find for tourists.

The only pretty area is Old Algiers, on one curve of the river, where Opelousas Ave and Newton St are on that map. Besides that it's just generic lower class neighborhoods, but not as dangerous as the blacked-out regions
>>
>>1111528
It's not even New Orleans at that point. Notice how there's only 1 bridge that's even close to anything across the river. It's just really boring, culturally dead suburbs.
>>
>>1110758
Man, as someone who goes to NOLA a few times a year, 8 days seems like a long time. Especially if drinking isn't your thing. I could be wrong though.

Frenchmen Street, as mentioned earlier, is recommended. You can walk there from the Quarter. Bywater and Marigny are cool. I usually take my bike through there during the day.

Magazine Street is cool if you're into antiques or DIY crafts and boutiques.

As for women, I'd think it would be easier to get with the tourists you'll encounter left and right.
>>
>>1111562
Isnt 8 days a good amount of time to get to know the culture and maybe some people?
>>
>>1111612
I'm from Louisiana, and New Orleans was almost more fun with friends, especially if you drink and like to party (but weed is illegal). There's a lot of scammers that will try to prey on tourists. You might have more fun during a festival like Jazz Fest, where there's more people and the weather isn't so suffering yet.

There are some nice touristy areas like the zoo and aquarium, but New Orleans is still recovering after Hurricane Katrina, even over 10 years later.
>>
>>1111620
Hows tinder down there?
>>
>>1111620
>weed is illegal
its not heavily enforced, right? cause that would be bad for tourism t.b.h.
>weather is suffering
ive lived in the southeast most of my life i dont mind the heat but would i be able to walk around without getting too sweaty? i dont have a car in fact thats one of the reasons i chose NOLA because ive heard its one of the only walkable southern cities
>>
>>1111627
Why would it be bad for tourism? New Orleans is more well known for getting drunk off your ass on Bourbon Street and eating breakfast at Cafe du Monde, not for smoking weed.

You might be ok if you've lived in the Southeast. If you're going in June, it won't be too bad yet, but Summers in Louisiana are known for being over 100 degrees (plus add on more for heat index/humidity). Louisiana is just hot, though. Like right now, it's a nice 60 degrees but later it'll be closer to 90.

If you stay in the touristy French Quarter area, you can walk around. When I visit friends there, I take the bus or streetcar if I'm near Loyola/Tulane area. It really depends on your plans.
>>
>>1111640
>warm weather
>alot of black people
>eccentric culture
>weird buildings
In theory, it should be the weed smoking capital
>>
>>1111527
I don't hate NOLA because of black people. I don't even hate it. I like it. But people should be given a fair warning about all the black people because like it or not a lot of people notice it and like to know ahead of time. Maybe that's RAYCISS to you but it's true.

I've never heard of New Orleans being lenient or open with weed. The police department is one of the most corrupt in the country.
I would avoid having anything to do with them.
If you want to get a beignet from Cafe Du Monde and not wait in a line of 50+ people, go to the one in the mall by the river.
>>
>>1111627
>bad for tourism

junkie plz. I know your kind is dumb but come on.
>>
>>1111696
>"""""""""""""junkie"""""""""""""""
>>
You guys are dorks. The French Quarter is dumb and the restaurants are bad. (Except Sobu, that one was good)
Go to Atchafalaya, it's south of st. Charles and it kicks ass. Get a duck fat Sazerac.
Go to a daiquiri shop. Eat lots of food. Find a place with boiled crawfish and gumbo and shit. Eat some fried boudin balls. Grilled alligator. NOLA has a distillery that makes some really kick ass absinthe, try the Tolousie Red.
>>
>>1110758
Shameless self bump
>>
Just got back from a week in NOLA and it was fucking great.

There are a lot of black people but they're a different breed than the California black I'm used to. They're far more polite and a lot of them are really whitewashed.

Definitely rent a car and drive out to the bayou area for a day.

Also, the swamp tour I took was fun as fuck.
>>
>>1112931
>They're far more polite and a lot of them are really whitewashed.
Criole culture guys are cool, it's the drug-selling kids trying to act like they're from New York/Atlanta that shit up the community.
>>
>>1112931
>>1112980
>tfw no creole gf
>>
>>1112980
Aren't Creoles becoming more assimilated into mainstream American culture? Or am I thinking of Cajuns?
>>
>>1112986
All Creole really means is mixed race. Cajun Louisiana on the other hand is down in the swamps and culturally almost a different country. But those are all white people
>>
>>1111640
> 100 Degrees
False bro, lived in this bitch all my life never was hotter than 86, you can thank the river and lake Pontchartrain.
Humidity may kill people with asthma on some summer days.
>>
>>1112931
Can you recommend a swamp tour?
>>
>>1113045
The hottest temp ever in New Orleans was 102

Also humidity simulates higher temperature, heat both transfers faster through moist air and moist skin retains more heat. So in most cases it actually does feel about 100 on a 90-degree day
>>
>>1113052
http://www.cajunencounters.com/

that's the one i did but there are loads of others. they'll shuttle you in from the city. i rented a car so i wouldn't have to be stuck on a bus next to smellys.

there were so many australians there. also way more french tourists than ive seen in any other big american city.
>>
>>1113253
thank you senpai
>>
>>1111522
Underrated post

Thanks anon for posting this back around Mardi Gras. This intel was ultra legit. Bourbon and Frenchman were way far out.

OP, I strongly suspect this was due to the holiday but there were a ton of cats smoking around town. Plenty of undercovers as well so keep sharp.
>>
>>1113456
In high school I would smoke weed on the sidewalk next to parades. There's just so much drinking and smoking that the police give up and just try to keep people from getting violent

It's a somewhat poorly kept secret that all the high schoolers go to the intersection of St. Charles and Amelia for parades to do drugs and make out in the middle of the street. It is a spectacle of hedonism and I'll never experience a wilder party. But unfortunately no one over 18 should go lol
>>
>>1111522

Pretty much this. Especially avoid that black area in between the park and quarter. It's one massive shithole and notorious for tourists wandering into it and getting mugged. Some of the more friendly locals will even go up to an obvious tourist if they see them heading that way and tell them to turn the fuck around.

Definitely spend a few hours in the quarter/Bourbon both during the day and at night. I lived in New Orleans for 8 years and was constantly astounded how much that place changes around 9pm.

During the day there are families walking around with their kids, people shopping and seeing the sights. At night the kids and families completely disappear and the hookers, drunks, freaks, and people in costumes come out.

If you can get past the sheer amount of niggers, corrupt cops, and chance you'll get robbed/shot pretty much anywhere in the area New Orleans is fucking great. I've been all over the country and the city is just flat-out unique. There's nothing like it and nowhere else in the country will you find a greater variety of top-notch food all over.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.