[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PLUS ULTRA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: Spain-flag-map-plus-ultra.png (313 KB, 1615x1195) Image search: [Google]
Spain-flag-map-plus-ultra.png
313 KB, 1615x1195
If you had 1 - 2 weeks anywhere in Spain, where/what would you be doing? I don't know almost anything about what there is to see, but I will be on my way back to USA from Israel in early August and want to stop over somewhere I've never been in Europe.

I like history, good food and drinks, don't really care about beaches much but seeing the ocean/Mediterranean would be cool, speak Spanish fluently, want something of the hostel experience, and like rural areas/natural beauty as much as cities.

Spain General I suppose
>>
24 hours later bump
>>
San Sebastian, Asturias, Salamanca.
>>
I'm totally bumping this. I am going to have a week and a half to go from Barcelona to Lisbon, Portugal. I figure cutting through Madrid at some point. Anything else worth seeing?
>>
>>1111420
I did Barcelona to Lisbon last year in a similar amount of time so I may as well input.
>Barcelona - stayed at top end of las ramblas, got hassled by pickpockets, picked up some weed, spent a day on the beach. I'd recommend land, spend no more than a day just getting bearings and then move on.
>Tarragona - much nicer impression of Catalonia. Roman walls and amphitheatre, small markets, people obsessed with building human towers. If you want a relax, non-tourist packed Spanish town then visit.
>Valencia - Big medieval history, architecture, oranges and paella, large park. If you want to get an experience of bullfighting without committing to an actual fight the museum is a good shout.
>Madrid - very typical European metropolitan, multicultural, best place for late nice tapas and drinking, even if you aren't into art go to El Prado for Goya's Black Paintings. Originally I wasn't a fan but I felt I could have stayed longer.
>Toledo - Fills up with tourists from 10 til 5 but after that actually gets pretty nice, viewpoints, sword shops everywhere, El Greco. Don't bother doing a day trip in peak season.
>Lisbon - Again, that European metropolitan feel but different, more laid back and less machismo. Not physically as much to do as larger Spanish cities but get out to the surrounding areas (especially Belem) as possible. Culturally the aspect I found most impressive was the difference between the two countries.
Overall I'd recommend Tarragona as a definite stop. 2 weeks isn't enough to see a great deal, so pick out a couple of areas and see them well (e.g. Catalonia-Aragon-Basque country, Madrid and surrounding, Galicia-Asturias, Andalucia). Get a mix of city and town. Avoid going anywhere on the Southern coast that has cheap flights from Britain, it's already ruined.
I'll monitor the thread if you want to ask any specifics.
>>
>>1111420

Be sure to include Andalucia in your itinerary. You can do Seville and Granada (actually, just Alhambra) in 2 days. You can even try and fiz Cordoba in the schedule if you manage to get a car. More than worth it.
>>
>>1110650
Bumping, ¡OLÉ!
>>
>>1111436
i'm thinking something a little more sedentary, if that makes sense? this is more a relaxing respite from everything where i can chill out, read, drink, maybe hang out on a beach, but still have plenty to do if/when i want to. so the bigger cities might be better here, especially for getting in on the backpacker trail. that's something i'm looking for.

i've also been considering portugal -- do you know anything about Porto? it looks fucking beautiful.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiptuC0_Qbo
>>
>>1110650
I like chilling at my grandmother's house on the beach in Barcelona, but I think my favorite place is Galicia. I love the climate and history.
>>
>>1110650

>history, food, natural beauty

Head to Andalucia, specifically Granada. Historically very significant, great *free* tapas (when you order a drink - almost nowhere in Spain does this now), beautiful old city & Alhambra palace, lots of cool nature/scenery nearby (snow capped peaks even), and close to the beach at Malaga (cheaper to fly here & take bus up than direct to GRX). Granada is also a uni town so lots of young folk to mingle with & foreign students too. Enjoy!
>>
>>1110650
I visited... And in my opinion Spain looks like mexico (is poor like a shit)

Be careful
>>
Start in Barcelona and head down the coast to Valencia from there head to Madrid, Toledo and down to Andalucia to Sevilla and Cordoba if you have enough time. Fly back to Barcelona or take a fast train. Take care of your wallet and mobile phone and you will enjoy one of the best holidays in Europe.
>>
Unrelated question.

How has the crisis affected the country? What would be cheaper/more expensive these days? What effects could it have in my long term stay?
>>
>>1113125
OP here, desu I was thinking something like this. I have 17 days.

i fly into barca
>few days
>few in valencia
>where to do in andalucia?
>madrid (w day trip to toledo)
>bilbao

and leave. sound ok? too much time in certain places? I'm thinking 3-4 in each. where to go around them. what to do in each? staying at hostels, speak spanish, want to eat and drink.
>>
>>1113901
>where to do in adalucia?
If you are interested in Moorish architecture, Granada (for the Alhambra) and Cordoba (for the former Great Mosque).
>>
>>1113974
just for the sake of gathering info -- what if i'm not? what else is there to see down there? I've obviously wikitraveled this shit some, but curious for the perspectives on this board
>>
Spain is now more expensive than France, Italy,etc...go to Portugal
>>
>>1111420
If you are nearby Madrid, it's worth to do a day trip to Toledo. It's a small beautiful medieval city where you will find mosques, sinagogues and churches feet away from each other.
>>
What to do in Segovia?
>>
>>1114022
Sevilla is an awesome city and a bit bigger than cordoba so probably more of a night life is you are in to that. Also Sevilla is very chill you can spend time by the river and just walk around you'll probably find something interesting. I was there during the winter though so not as many tourists as there are in the summer
>>
>>1114538
Cathedral, Alcazar, Aqueduct and walk along the city walls. Also just explore the old town. It can be done in a day.
>>
>>1110650
I'm currently in Spain for three weeks. I flew to Barcelona then stayed in Huesca, Pamplona, Burgos and Madrid, doing a day trip to Segovia. I'm currently in Granada and will visit Cordoba and Seville before flying back from Malaga.
>>
>>1110650
Ibiza
>>
>>1114756
Thank you.
>>
>>1114759
Which places have you enjoyed the most so far?
>>
>>1114759
i'm going to hitchhike this summer from Belgium to Spain and i hope to be able to get to Segovia.
>>
anyone with info on the area around girona? specifically hiking/biking/mountaineering shit/other out doors activities? looks like there's a lot of it around there, wondering if anyone's done it
>>
(1/2)

I'm not sure whether this is worthy of its own thread, so I'll ask here first. I'm planning on backpacking from Barcelona to Marrakesh on June, not trying to do all of Spain but mainly focusing in Andalusia.

Some background first, 22yo exchange student from 3rd world country living in the NL for the past 5 months, have already been traveling like crazy. Right now I’m about to finish the semester and I’m planning on traveling a little bit more before returning home.

Mainly interested in the cultural/historical aspect of the places I visit, more likely to spend the nights resting after really long days walking and visiting around than clubbing.

With that being said, here’s the first draft of my itinerary (14 nights) for this leg of my trip:

>Barcelona - 3 days/3 nights
The first two are mainly for Primavera Sound so It's really 1 day, but I've already been there and I only would like to visit a couple of specific places. Also, I've heard it's crazy expensive right now.

>Tarragona or Cuenca – 1/0 days
Or any other town/city between Barcelona and Madrid that would deserve a visit and could be done in just one day or even as a daytrip from either. Any suggestions?

>Madrid (with a daytrip to/stop by Toledo) – 2 days/2 nights
Also been there already, mainly visiting again because it’s been ages since I’ve gone to Del Prado and I’ve never been to the Reina Sofía. So mainly a couple of museums one day and Toledo, which I’ve never been to, the other.

>Córdoba – 1 day/1 night

>Seville or Granada – 2 days/2 nights
This is one of my great concerns, which should I choose? I don’t really think I’ve the time for both and that visiting each just 1 day would not do any any justice. Help.

Cont.
>>
>>1116397
(2/2)
Cont.

>Algeciras or Tarifa + Tangier – 1 day
This one is mainly a travel day, from Seville or Granada to the town where I’ll take the ferry to Tangier (either Algeciras or Tarifa).

>Tangier – 1 night
I’ve read that Tangier is not as nice or interesting as other places of Morocco, so I’d only give it the day I arrive and the next one I’d leave for Chefchaouen.

> Chefchaouen - 1 day/1 night

>Fes – 2 days/1 night
Do you think that’s enough for Fes? I’d stay another day but that would mean skipping Marrakech.

>Overnight train Fes-Marrakech – 1 night

>Marrakech – 2 days/1 night
Once again, do you think it’s going to be enough to do it justice? Should I take those tours to the Zagora dunes/Atlas Mountains?

I’d be extremely grateful for any tip or suggestion, of any kind. Itinerary, places visited, must-sees, anything. Like I mentioned, this is just my first draft so I’m totally flexible.

I know this was a Spain thread so you guys can ignore all the Morocco part if you want, but If anybody has been to any of the places I’ve mentioned in any of those countries and could give me anything, specially about the choices Tarragona/Cuenca/other and Sevilla/Granada; and the time spent on the Moroccan cities.

Thanks, /trv/
>>
>>1114759
Huesca was really nice, a small and beautiful city that was also really quiet. I'm in Cordoba now and it's great, brilliant for anyone interested in history, while I found Granada to be a bit expensive and absolutely swamped with tourists, but worth it for the Alhambra alone

>>1115046
It pissed down with rain when I was there, unfortunately, but I think I just got unlucky. Also the tower of the Alcazar is currently closed for restoration and is covered in scaffolding, so you can't get in there or see much of it. Might be finished by summer though
>>
What do you men think of Almeria?
>>
>>1114022
If you're interested in nature or hiking there are the Sierra Nevada mountains. Malaga, Marbella, Torremolinos for beaches and partying etc
>>
>>1110650

just booked my flight to barca for £100

no accommodation yet. going to be packing extremely minimally, and trying to buy a cheap bike when i get there.

will i have fun? how easy is it to get to san sebastian from barca?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.