[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here ever tried hosting kids via a program (i.e. not websites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_o1n4pbxtur1s1vn29o1_540.jpg (70 KB, 540x672) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1n4pbxtur1s1vn29o1_540.jpg
70 KB, 540x672
Anyone here ever tried hosting kids via a program (i.e. not websites such as Couchsurfer)? What's it like being a host and hosting exchange students visiting your city?
>>
>>1110338
You sick fuck
>>
>>1110341
How am I a sick fuck? I want my kids to practice their English with other kids from other countries.
>>
It's a hit or miss.
The kids you host may be extremely shy, some conceited bastards shitholes, borderline hyperactive, just dumbass stupid pieces of down syndrome or the best kids in the world.
And there's also the hit or miss about whether they'll connect with your kids and have a nice interaction.
Some programs, I believe, allow you to choose between some kids (they give you the profile of the brat and you pick one), others may just send you a random one.
It really depends and you should seek information with the program organizers.
>>
>>1110350
Is hosting older kids (eg. university students) a better option then?
>>
>>1110352
Could be.
You have to consider the age of your kids too.
If they're 13 and you're hosting 18 y.o. people, it may be harder for them to connect and interact.
You may end up hosting some lazy ass party goer that only wants to party and trash your house.
Still, if you're doing it via a reputable program, I'd expect they'd have ways to minimize the number of creeps in their program, or at least have procedures in case you end up with one (or just any kid that, for whatever reason, you don't feel comfortable with).
Also, you need to see why the kids you're hosting want to visit your country.
>>
>>1110355
My kidss are 14 and 16. Did you have some negative experiences with the kids you hosted?
>>
I think it really depends. You want to chose a good organisation where you can have some kind of co-ordinator who will speak with the student if you're not comfortable and also can arrange to find a new family if things don't go well.

I had an exchange student from Japan who was 17, super lovely and shy, fit in with family well, quite independent and went out of the way to make own friends. Generally just very sweet, willing to cook with us, still stays in contact, opened up and shared her culture and tried to teach us stuff about Japan.

Had a French exchange student who was also 17, and although her english was better she was incredibly loud, used up all our internet, had to babysit her pretty much, wasn't really interested in getting involved in our family activities, spent all her time in her room, didn't really learn anything much about France.
>>
>>1110369
Well, I can't tell how your kids will interact with someone older. You know them, so you're the best person to judge.
As for negative experiences, the worst I've ever had was extremely shy people that needed time and extra effort to interact with.
And when one of the kids got sick.

Still, as >>1110406 said, you want a reputable organization that have a good structure to handle kids misfits. Sometimes the hosts don't get along with the kid, sometimes the kid doesn't feel comfortable with the family. A good organization should be able to handle these situations fast.

Search for references, ask people that participated in programs that interests you, read a lot about them and then, if everything looks fine, go for it.
Just like traveling abroad. Some could end up being a really rich experience while others a really shitty one. But you'll only know after you try.
>>
>>1110406
Where are you from?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.