[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way to travel across the US if you dont have a car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 0
Best way to travel across the US if you dont have a car?
>>
You just getting from A to B, r to see stuff along the way?
>>
>>1110012
I want to go to multiple cities in the southwest/west
>>
>>1110013
OK, so firs you have to understand that the US transit system is all built off of the Interstate Highway System -- supplemented with airports, so the best ways o get around the country are by car or plane. If you can't do a car, and what you want is to hit certain cities, look into air travel between cities.

If that doesn't work for you, your choices are bus or train or hitching. Our train system is OK on commuter routes between cities in the NE corridor and I am told along the west coast. Not so much for crossing the country.
>>
As a foreigner who lives in the midwest, let me tell you that if you don't have a car you aren't going to have much fun.

With the exception of the big cities like Las Vegas, San Francisco.LA you are still going to run into so many situations where you are just thinking "fuck I just wish I had a car" or "fuck, why don't they have a better bus system"

Before I came I remember reading how bad it was without a car and thinking it couldn't be that bad. It is that bad. Learn from my mistake and either rent a car or stick to big cities and be prepared to be disappointed or make a lot of friends with cars
>>
>>1110009
Amtrack train.
>>
>>1110059
Amtrak is overpriced, takes forever and is very uncomfortable
>>
>>1110079
Yes, but compared to the bus?
>>
>>1110088
bus is cheeper, SOMETIMES less crowded, and faster
>>
You can't find a cheap car? Look for an old Honda or something. You can probably find one close to 1,000$ that'll get you to point A to point B
>>
Look into taking a Mega Bus. I took them across the Northwest last year. You can get tickets for under $8.
>>
>>1110040
>big cities
>Las Vegas

Vegas is a shithole with a terrible public transit system. LA isn't exactly known for having great transit either.
>>
>>1110092
My impression was there was a slightly worse sort of fellow passenger on the bus, but it was a near thing.
>>
>>1110148
http://www.usatourist.com/english/traveltips/transportation/car-buying-tips.html
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.