[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vietnam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 5
File: qh.jpg (72 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
qh.jpg
72 KB, 600x401
Have everyone here been in Vietnam? Share your experience

I was there as a English teacher, here are my thoughts:
>People are horrible, rude, dishonest monkeys.
>Cities are dirty, polluted, noisy and boring to death.
>Food is shit. Why the fuck all that hype? It's 1/unflavoured and 2/poisoned half of the time.
>Traffic is the worst in the world, pathetic Vetnamese have no education for nothing, not even to drive safe and save their peers' life.
>Liars and cheaters everywhere. You have to pay more money for a item than their people
>HaLong bay is shit, nothing so great about it
>Hanoi is a black shithole.
>Fucking retarded commies everwhere.

Funniest thing is, Vietnamese people believe their country is great! topkek! Ho Chi Minh is a fucking communist criminal, Vietnam is the trash of the world, period

I hope I'll never have to come back to that shithole ever again
>>
English obviously isn't your native language.

Where are you from?

Also, how bad is teaching in HCMC? Did you ever get ripped off by your employer?
>>
>>1109826
Wtf
>>
Complaining about communists in Vietnam seems like complaining about Muslims in Iran.

Yeah... No shit you dumb cunt
>>
This is the shittiest troll thread I've ever read
>>
>>1109986
You clearly didn't read
>>1101972

Also, sage the shit!
>>
>>1109826

1/2
I'm currently an English teacher in Vietnam and I have the exact opposite opinion as you. You sound like a non-native English speaker who had a bad time because if you're not native English speaker you can only get the shitiest of jobs, and you're probably bitter about that.

No

Saigon is pretty dirty in the poorer areas and pollution can be bad some days, but overall it's a nice, cheap, rapidly developing place to live. It's not boring at all imo.

>Food is shit. Why the fuck all that hype? It's 1/unflavoured and 2/poisoned half of the time.

The food is amazing I dont know what your talking about. And yeah you can get sick if you eat bad cheap food, thats why you get a thypoid vaccination before you get here. I never got sick from food here.

>Traffic is the worst in the world, pathetic Vetnamese have no education for nothing, not even to drive safe and save their peers' life.

Traffic is pretty awful here I'll admit, but I grew up in New York City so I am use to it. Saigon is building a metro system that should be work by 2019, which hopefully will ease the traffic congestion.

>Liars and cheaters everywhere. You have to pay more money for a item than their people

This is literally the case everywhere is South East Asia and other developing countries. Learn to haggle and don't buy stuff that you think is too expensive.

I have never been there, but everyone I met that has said it was really nice.

>Hanoi is a black shithole.

I never been to Hanoi, but your comment is stupid anyway.

Most of the younger generation here are not commies in anyway and criticize the government constantly. The only people here that would call themselves communists are government bureaucrats and the elderly who fought in the war. Vietnam is not even a real communist country.
>>
>>1110067
2/2

Vietnam is not even a real communist country, you can own private property, start a small business, and their are foreign owned sweat shops. Most of the youth are look towards capitalism.

Basically your post is retarded.
>>
>>1109826
/trv/ used to be harder to troll than this.
>>
how true is this?
>>
>>1110067

How much do you earn per month teaching there?
>>
>>1110198
About $1500-1800 depending on how many classes I want to work that month.
>>
>>1110230

Cool. So how did you get your job? Apply in person or online beforehand?
>>
>>1109826
I really love Vietnam desu
>>
>>1110185
30%
>>
>>1110241
Apply in person, like 95% of teaching jobs here are not advertised online. You have to walk around with copies of your CV.
>>
Food is pretty OK in the South I thought. Those banh mi sandwiches are fucking amazing plus crazy cheap. It's dirty and over-crowded but that's Asia. Amazing value on hotels if you're traveling. The middle part of the country is actually pretty, not horrible polluted, and not over-populated.
>>
>>1110506
A CELTA or similar is required in Vietnam, no?
>>
>>1109826

Eh, Vietnam isn't that bad. People are definitely assholes if you aren't used to Asian people. Food is good. Definitely cleaner and more organized than Cambodian.
>>
The worst thing about Vietnam is ao dai which I think is very ugly. Other than the ugly ao dai, I like Vietnam and rank it as my top 3 favorite South East Asia country.
>>
>>1112060

How does Vietnam compare with China and Chinese assholes. Worse or better?
>>
>>1112004
It's not required but highly recommended, especially if you are not white, english is not your first language, or don't have a degree.
>>
>>1112099
>ao dai
I think they're quite prettyu.
>>
You sound like an unsatisfied tourist.

I liked Vietnam.

HaLong Bay is overrated and a tourist trap. The littering is destroying the place.

People are poor as fuck no wonder why they look at you like a wallet with legs.
>>
>>1112914
That's only the case in touristy areas too, I'm currently in the far north and people are tripping over themselves to get me to drink tea and rice wine with them since I assume they see far fewer white people. A lot of people want photos too, weird experience.
>>
I thought Vietnam was only worth going to for the delicious food as they are not really known for anything else.
>>
>>1113170
The scenery in almost everywhere north of Hanoi is stunning, some of the best I've seen anywhere in the world actually. If that's your thing then go. Just got back from Ban Gioc falls and it's genuinely a Rivendell tier view from the top of the far mountain. Properly breathtaking.
>>
>>1113173
I travel the world through youtube so I might not be seeing everything a country has to offer unfortunately.
>>
>>1113170
>Vietnam
>Not known because of the history
>>
This is literally the worst thread of all time. Have you even been in Vietnam at all? Your English looks shitty as fuck, how the hell did you get a gig as a teacher?

All of what you said were wrong as hell. I don't know about the north but southern vietnam and vietnamese are comfy-tier.
>>
>>1113211
>This is literally the worst thread of all time. Have you even been in Vietnam at all?
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one thinking this.
>>1113170
>Vietnam
> not really known for anything else
Then you don't know much about it.

Other than the war of course, which has a bunch of things to see if you're interested, the south has Cham ruins, there is a bunch of stuff at Hue, temples out the wazoo, beaches all over the places and you can get an entire wardrobe of clothes made in Hoi An.
>>
>>1113211
While this thread is bullshit, the north was slightly less nice but I wouldn't say bad. Just less friendly and more "please pay for what you white men did to our country." Anyway that only happened a handful of time.
>>
>>1113211
dont take the bait senpai
>>
Trv, i need help, pls, im seriously desperate, its been almost 2 years

So me and a friend went to Vietnam early last year, went for a month, had an amazing time and all.

On our first night in Hanoi, we went to dinner at some misc side street cafe (specifically, the end of the market street in central Hanoi (Giay street), just before the railway overpass a little sidestreet with no name to the left), it was one of those ones where they give you a hotplate to cook your stuff on and the food.

They had a few English menus, and we ordered the hotplate plus a side of 'fried bread'.

Now, im looking for what this fried bread is actually called, because no matter how hard i search i cant find it anywhere, it was probably something lost in translation, as what happens with most other menu items...

Anyway, they started with a normal roll of bread, flattened it a bit and broke the surface, they then used a marinating brush to brush on this sweet oil thing, they would then put it in the pan for a few seconds while brushing the other side. After brushing and cooking each side numerous times, they served it up, it was like crunchy bread with a glazey coating of what tasted like sweet coconut oil.

It was the second best thing i ate that trip (behind a Cambodian Amok curry) and have been looking for the recipie ever since.

If anyone knows what it is, please share!
>>
>>1113967
Have you tried just taking a baguette and brushing it with coconut oil?
>>
>Vietnam
>bad food

Literally just what the fuck am I reading?
>>
Having been multiple times I have a single analogy to describe it.
Vietnam is China's Mexico.
Take from that what you will
>>
>>1114129
Kinda, except China is pretty much worse than Mexico itself.
>>
>>1109826

you? teaching English?
they didnt check your credentials,hm?

I only was in Hanoi for work a few times. Everywhere we went people tried to charge me more - one restaurant had separate menus even, causing a friend of mine to flip her shit at the waiter when she noticed - cap drivers, while always getting me where I wanted to go, seemed to charge whatever they felt like, and that was with me only taking the recommended companies.

However, people were nice, girls cute, scenery amazing. Worth a visit for sure.
>>
>>1109826
I had an entirely different experiance, and my family travels there fairly regularly

in the major cities these people try to bottom feed of tourists, they are true scum, scammers, cheats
But they are a very defined part of the population, and they vanish almost imediately after you leave the tourists trail

you will likely find them very pushy or maybe rude, but they are also honest, kind and friendly; in fact some of the friendliest people I've ever met

main points of friction are personal space, and haggling
in the west it's one price for everyone, but not so over there

true, but I like them myself if only because it's so different

also there are some really great places in vietnam

I got food poisoning once in saapa, but I was ok otherwise
chance of food poisoning increases as you order food the locals don't eat

it has very different rules, and minor incidents are common, road infrastructure is very poor
bonus points for seeing rich people or cops drive the wrong way on a road, force others of the road, or just park in the middle of the street

I thought it was great, prices vary vastly depending on where you book
also check the prices on board before you book
try to sleep overnight on a boat, it's an experiance

I feel like you're missing the point
>>
vietnam is a beautiful place op
>>
>>1114176
Agree on almost everything except Halong Bay, totally necessary to stay overnight, you can easily see it all in a day, and what you do see isn't that great anyway, much better looking parts of the country elsewhere, and that's if you get lucky and the bay isn't covered in trash, oil and loads of other boats as is frequently the case.
>>
>>1114176
>>1114306
Totally unnecessary*
>>
>>1109826
>Have everyone here been in Vietnam?
>I was there as a English teacher
>a English teacher
>>
>>1109826
What kind of English is this?
>>
>>1114307
well I don't know, the transport from hanoi takes a few hours; so it's better as a one night stay than a day trip

because if you day trip, it's 5h in transit for six hours there; and I think you need to see the bay during the day and night to get the most out of it
>>
>>1109826
>I was there as a English teacher
you could use a few English lessons yourself
>>
Going to Vietnam for 3 weeks in July. I have lived in SEA but this will be my first time in Vietnam.

Suggestions/must sees? Looking for good food, nature, and some history and shopping.
>>
File: Bale Well restaurant food.jpg (1 MB, 2580x1932) Image search: [Google]
Bale Well restaurant food.jpg
1 MB, 2580x1932
>>1115293
>shopping
Hoi An for shopping. Get a wardrobe made up and shipped home, all pretty cheap. Make sure you allow enough time to inspect the result and get them to fix any shitty sewing they did, they often rush stuff with shitty single-seams for tourists that leave town the next morning and can't do shit about it. But you can get good work done if you have time and don't go to anywhere in the middle of town. Go right to the edge of town and find somewhere that doesn't get much business, they'll take care of you better.

The food there is also pretty good. Make sure you eat pic related.
>>
File: Bale Well restaurant sign.jpg (1 MB, 1932x2580) Image search: [Google]
Bale Well restaurant sign.jpg
1 MB, 1932x2580
>>1115299
And this is where you eat it.
>>
>>1115293

Bun cha, banh bao, and if you go to Hoi An get cao lau
>>
>>1115327
>banh bao
Those are 'just' Chinese steamed buns but when they're done well, they're really good.
The combination ones are my favourite, the ones I got would have quail or pigeon eggs inside them.
>>
>>1115351
yeah the quail egg ones are the ones i was talking about.
>>
Hi /trv/, planning to go on a 10 day trip to vietnam with two army buddies. 10 days max cos we have a limited number of leaves.

So Ive been to hcmc and like the cafes and museums there. Thinking of hoi an/hue -> hanoi/sapa. Open to all suggestions.

Looking for a similar place like sapa(terraces, beautiful scenery) but without so many tourists to add in to our itinerary. Do we have time for phong nha(caves)?

Thanks
>>
Hanoi is a shit hole but Ho Chi Minh is one of the world's great cities. The buzz and energy there is unique. In some ways they are poor but you will find grander buildings there than many western countries can manage.
>>
>>1116192
Why's hanoi a shithole?
>>
>>1116501
Not him but the old city was pretty but incredibly touristy. And outside that area it was kind of ... Cold? I'm not sure how to put it. Ho Chi Minh was great everywhere. The people are friendlier and it's always alive. Hanoi has the commie police shutting everything down at midnight. I still like Hanoi though.
>>
>>1116501
yep this guy >>1116662 has the right idea. Lotta shit has gone down the past couple of months so ppl are kinda on edge all the time. The fucking heat also doesnt help. Streets are constantly crowded and price of booze and drugs got jacked up like you wouldnt believe. Worst thing is of course the no fun allowed commie wankstains try to police everything. It's not getting any better the next few days Obama's gonna be here. I wish I can meet him in person and vent. He seems like the good listening type

Source: frustrated Hanoian
>>
>>1109826
Only thing I agree with is the food, Vietnamese food is the most overrated cuisine on Earth.
>>
>>1114338
The best way to do it is to go to Cat Ba and stay there a couple of nights, there's plenty of walks, great drives and interesting things there. Much cheaper than a overnight boat tour (cost me and 5 other guys I met there 200,000 VND each for a tour) and you don't waste time on a pretty overrated landmark imo
>>
>>1116025
There aren't too many places exactly like Sa Pa in that the other stunning parts of northern Vietnam in the mountains generally don't have rice terraces and don't have small villages that are easy to stay in. The big highlights of northern Vietnam for me (and most people who've been in fairness, not like they're some big secret) which are far less touristy though are Lake Ba Be, The entire stretch of road between Yen Minh and Meo Vac right at the north (my personal choice for the most beautiful part of Vietnam, in particular the stretch between Dong Van and Meo Vac) and Quang Uyen/Ban Gioc. Particularly Quang Uyen has a very similar feel to Sa Pa in that it's right in the middle of a series of mountains that feel like they go on forever. Nothing is exactly the same, but they're all worth visiting imo.

Of these 3 only Lake Ba Be is really possible/worth doing without a motorbike, it's one bus from Hanoi, and it's possible to do plenty of fun stuff there without one.
>>
>>1117141
Yes this. 3 days on cat ba. Riding around a motorbike. Most beautiful scenery anywhere. It was very relaxing break from the insanity of Hanoi
>>
Just a question

If i have 2-3 weeks should i visit north or south vietnam? And should i include nearby countries like cambodia?
Also, which vaccinations should i take beforehand?
>>
>>1117368
I didn't get any vaccinations. I prefer the South but really who knows. It depends on what you're into. The south has beaches and you can go to the Mekong delta and Da Lat. Though I think the best beach in Vietnam is in the middle in Da Nang.
The north is more touristy and has Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay.
>>
>>1117368
Cambodia is a bit similar to Viet Nam but more ~lawless~. Unless you really want to go to Angkor Wat, it might not be worth it. Phnom Penh is just full of middle aged white men losing their minds over prostitutes.
>>
>>1117392
>The north is more touristy

Only if you visit Sa Pa and Ha Long bay lol, most of north Vietnam is pretty much the least touristy bit of the country and beautiful to boot.

>>1117368
Depends what you want and if you're on a bike, if you're a history buff or want beaches, stay in the south, if you like lush green mountainous scenery, do a loop of the Chinese border, taking in some of the places I mentioned here >>1117146 along with Sa Pa and Cat Ba. By far the best scenery is in the far north in my experience. Unfortunately you need a bike to make the most of it, it's possible to do by public transport but you lose a lot of the impact and I'd imagine it's a massive ballache trying to work out the local bus system since people are generally pretty terrible at English up there and you're staying at places where people are far worse at it too so there's less advice. 2-3 weeks isn't enough for half of Vietnam, let alone all of it and Cambodia too, don't let yourself fall into the trap of rushing around, it'll just make everything worse.
>>
>>1117430
The busses in the north weren't that bad. Just walk up and say a city and they point you in the right direction and some guy comes and grabs you when the buss arrives. They have numbers too so you know which bus. But bike is a far better (and scarier at first) option.
>>
>>1117430
Not >>1117368, but planning to rent a bike at hanoi or sapa and going around the north parts, interested in the chinese border route. Is 4-5 days enough? Do you have any general advice or advice on the route? Thanks a bunch
>>
>>1117430
I agree it's beautiful. Especially up north of Hanoi. But there's also places like Tam Coc, which was so touristy it wasn't really worth it. But I'm not hating on the North. Both are amazing if you have time. There's some pretty good mountain landscape in between Hoi An and Saigon too.
>>
>>1117437
Well, not for all of it but there are certainly parts you can do. Depends how confident you are at riding for hours every day too, I know some people were fine doing it but I couldn't ride more than 3 days in a row without a day off, I found it exhausting.

5 Days from Sa Pa I'd probably reccomend this

Day 1: Sa Pa - Ha Giang

Day 2: Ha Giang - Meo Vac (Very long ride if you take the better looking northern part of QL4C and head right to the north to the watch tower at Lung CU, quite out of the way but worth it imo.)

Day 3: Meo Vac - Lake Ba Be (Be aware that TL212 is an absolutely god awful road, at least when I went, start early so that you can make this in a day, long ride again)

Day 4: Stay in Ba Be for a day, the past 2 days will most likely have been exhausting between bad roads and long distances and there is plenty to see there

Day 5: Back to Hanoi

You'd be doing it at a far faster pace than I'd personally want to but that's up to you. As another small piece of advice, they're building new roads all the time up there, and Google maps can be pretty fucky from time to time, when in doubt follow the stone markers at the side of the road and ignore whatever back alley Google maps tries to send you down if you think it's clearly wrong.

>>1117438
Yeah there definitely are a few hotspots which are mega touristy, but there's so much beyond that which people tend to overlook, which I think is a shame.
>>
>>1117437
>>1117445
Shit, just realised you said you were renting, which would mean you'd have to go back to where you started. In which case doing it in 5 days is pretty much impossible, Hanoi is more than a day's ride from pretty much everything worth seeing up north apart from Ba Be, and even that takes riding pretty much the entire day. If you did it from Sa Pa it would obviously be even harder to get the bike back.
>>
>>1117448
Thanks for the advice! I might not do this in my upcoming trip, but ill most definitely do it in the future when im out the army.

Think ill do hanoi and da nang first with friends.
>>
>>1117454
If you go to Da Nang, obviously go to Hue and Hoi An too. They both have amazing food that is only found in those two cities.
>>
>>1115327
hell yeah, definitely get cao lau.
>>
>>1109826
Get used to it you pussy bitch.

You expect too god damn much.
>>
>>1117430
Thanks for the reply, i've never driven a motor bike in my life so i don't have a license, i have a car driving license but i can't use it in vietnam, so what do you suggest ?
>>
>>1117534
Generally you will be able to get away with not having a bike license. Worst comes to worst you pay a cop $20 and he happily lets you go on your way. I rode a bike through vietnam for 2 months and never had a single issue. But if you have no motorcycle experience, Vietnam is the absolute worst place to learn. Its bad enough being an experienced rider on the roads there, but to not know what you're doing is pure suicide. The bus drivers here will quite literally run you off the road with zero fucks given and continue on their merry way.
>>
>>1117538
I'm not worried about the legal issues i'm more worried about my safety, you're right i've never rode a bike and 'nam would be a steep learning curve
>>
>>1117539
Yeah, Vietnam is one of the most unsafe places in the world to been the road. The only place worse that I've personally experienced was Cambodia. Near-death experiences were a daily occurrence. People don't pay any attention to whats going on around them, they just pull out in front of oncoming traffic and cause 20 cars to slam on their brakes
>>
>>1117504
Hoi An is a tourist trap end to end. Nothing remotely authentic there.

Denang and Hue are great though.
>>
>>1117542
So back to my original subject, 2-3 weeks in north vietnam, assuming i start at hanoi how would my itenerary be? should i sleep in a boat in halong bay? sleep with locals in villagers ?etc
>>
>>1117539
To be honest just to give another perspective, I'd never ridden a motorbike or even driven a car before I went to Vietnam and did 5 weeks there and I didn't have a single issue other than one minor incident where the bike fell from a standstill and I got a tiny graze on my ankle, and that isn't particularly uncommon. I found driving to be very tiring probably in large part because of this but I was fine.

I actually disagree with the other poster in that I think driving is reasonably safe from a traffic point of view so long as you follow the informal rules of the road there. I've met a fair few people who've injured themselves here but that's more from doing dumb shit like braking hard on gravel or going too slowly over wet mud and letting the bike slide than actual crashes. It's obviously up to you but in my experience even people who didn't intend to do it by bike tend to end up renting a one at some point anyway when they get up the courage, after they see how much better travel is in Vietnam is with one. All I can urge you is to try it out as early as possible and making your decision then so you don't end up regretting trying it earlier.
>>
>>1117608
>reasonably safe from a traffic point of view so long as you follow the informal rules of the road there
I mean, yeah, this is true mostly. Once you get a feel for the unwritten rules of the road there you can move along with traffic relatively safely. But one thing that you can't avoid is the maniac minibus drivers who hog the entire road and give zero fucks about people on motorcycles. This only becomes an issue once you get off the main roads and onto the single-lane backroads where those minibuses tend to take their half in the middle of the road and fly around corners at double the speed limit.

>>1117570
If you end up deciding take the risk and get a bike anyways, it is hands down THE best way to see the country. It opens up so much possibility and you will have a much more memorable experience. As long as you don't get run over and die lol
>>
>>1117608
>>1117613
Thanks for replying guys, but like i said it's a risk that i'm not willing to take, best case scenario is to take bike driving lessons in my home country before going, what engine do you use there? 50cc or more?
>>
>>1117620
I rode around Vietnam for 4 months having not much motorcycle experience beforehand. No accidents. Never dropped the bike. Not a scratch.

Basically all bikes/scooters in Vietnam are ~100-130cc
>>
>>1117635
...visiting Vietnam not on a motorbike would be completely miserable. It's impossible to even walk from any place to any other: there are no sidewalks, and it feels way way way more dangerous there trying to walk anywhere than riding a bike.
>>
>>1117639
...also the public transport in most cases is getting on the back of a motorbike, only often without a helmet, and with an insane driver who's racing for the next fare.
>>
How easy are Vietnamese girls?

I hear they're very conservative and hard.
>>
>>1117635
I've never ridden a motorbike before and I'm 5' 4''.
Should I expect some hardships riding a bike (being unable to reach the floor with my feet when stopping or something)?
And do they have scooters or "real" bikes, with bigger tires? Cause those 10'' tires look horrible to ride.
>>
>>1117669
The bikes in Vietnam are tiny, even at 5'4" should be no problem at all.

Bikes fall into three types: 1. Step-through scoters with fully automatic (cvt) transmissions and small wheels which most city people ride. 2. Underbone Honda Cub-style motorcycle-scooter hybrids, which have manual gear changes (confusingly, geared opposite of a normal motorcycle) but no clutch, and larger wheels than a scooter but not full motorcycle size, and which are popular with people in rural areas as well as mototaxi drivers, and 3. Honda Win-clone proper motorcycles with clutches and full-size wheels, which are only ridden by tourists traveling across the country, and locals in really mountainous and remote areas.

#1 will cost way more money normally, and suck on bad roads and where it's hilly (so, basically anywhere but a big city). #3's real advantage is that they can be had dirt cheap, although the fully manual transmission also really helps in the mountains (because you can fully exploit engine breaking, since no vehicle in Vietnam has any brakes to speak of). #2 is the best compromise, which is why that's what 90% of Vietnamese ride.

If you're in Vietnam for a short trip, just rent whatever (type #1 or #2). If you have the time for a longer trip (at least a month) then buy #2 or #3.
>>
File: Honda_Wave_125_S_2007.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Honda_Wave_125_S_2007.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>1117676
Pic related is the type of semi-automatic underbone motorcycle that's so popular in southeast asia. It's a cross between a scooter and motorcycle. You can operate the gearbox in flip-flops with one hand holding a beer which is an important selling point there.
>>
>>1117676
Thanks for the info!
And I take it that the grill between the handle and the seat in >>1117677 is where I'd tie my backpack?
>>
>>1117545
Hoi An is worth it for one evening just for the Cau Lao and the dumb lanterns. or in the early morning before all the dumb shops open up. The mix of french, spanish and asian architecture is really nice. It's only like 20 minutes from Da Nang, so why not?
>>
>>1117655
Kind of difficult outside of Saigon. I slept with a few on the first meeting, but we walked around together for like 8 hours or more. Others required a few days of hanging out.
>>
>>1117754
That would be pretty tight unless you have a small backpack. You can get a rack that ties to the back securely and extends out and bungee your bag behind you.
>>
File: IMG_0721.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0721.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>1117754
No, you'd get a rack and stick your backpack on the back behind where you're sitting. Pic related if how I had mike set up for travel around Vietnam, worked very well.

Keep in mind these motorcycles aren't very powerful, so the lighter you pack the better.
>>
>>1117830
Lantern thing would piss any aware person off. IIRC the locals only put the lanterns in when a tourist buys one; you can go loads of other places in Vietnam where they legit have the same sort of lantern festival not as a show for tourists.
>>
>>1117948
As touristy as that is, it looks really nice at night. Its the most touristy city in Vietnam but if you're in Da Nang and heading south by bike or train, it's worth a stop for a few hours. Especially for the cau lao. (though there is good cau lao in Da Nang)
>>
>>1117953
Nah. There are also loud night-clubs full of drunk obnoxious brits that face the river and blast EDM across it. Terrible terrible vibe there. Also absolutely no locals give a fuck about this supposed festival except to sell shit; it's 100% tourists, and utterly packed with them like nowhere else in Vietnam. The entire city is nothing but overpriced tourists shops and western tourists restaurants; there are no Vietnamese in central HoiAn except those who are working in the tourist trade. It's basically a huge Vietnam-themes shopping mall that might as well be in Disney World.

If you're in central Vietnam, you'll get a vastly more authentic experience of 'old Vietnam' in Hue.
>>
>>1117754
>>1117840
>>1117947
>>1117754
If you take a max carry on sized bag (which imo is all you need) the back of the seat is plenty for your bag. No idea why people carry so much unecessary shit around. Anything more and you'll probably need a rack, but not necessarily.
>>
>>1117947
Pack here is quite small considering I was traveling for ~5 months. A bit bigger than carry-on though. I agree you could get by quite well with a somewhat smaller bag, but don't forget it gets CHILLY in the mountains in Vietnam, so you'll want a coat and long pants at least.
>>
>>1117966
I took a bag less than max carryon (40 liters) and if i just strapped it onto the back of my seat, i would have no place to sit. It's not as much space you you think.
>>
>>1118002
I'm coming to the end of 5 weeks and have had no problem at all, not strapped on length ways obviously. Maybe my seat is bigger, dunno. Will take a picture if I remember tomorrow, is pouring with rain now and cba to get it out and strap the bag to it.
>>
>>1118045
What bike are you using?
>>
>>1118053
An SYM Star 110, a better built Taiwanese Wave essentially (well, better built than the non Japanese Waves, which is what almost all the ones in Vietnam are). Been pretty flawless actually, had to replace 2 cracked nuts holding the kickstand and footrests on for 10k a couple of days ago but that's the only issue I've had.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.