[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to Norway with family in the summer, specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Norway flag.png (15 KB, 2000x1455) Image search: [Google]
Norway flag.png
15 KB, 2000x1455
I'm going to Norway with family in the summer, specifically a sojourn in Oslo followed by a couple of weeks in the western fjords.

What can I expect? Any tips for getting the best out of Norway?
>>
If you want to get the best out of the country, you should visit the north as well.

Also, there's no need to spend any more than a day in Oslo. There's really not much to see except for the Vigeland park, the royal palace and maybe the opera.

You can also expect very unpredictable weather. Especially on the west coast. Don't be surprised if it rains the whole time. That's why I'm glad I live in Norway, as I can travel whenever the weather is nice.
>>
Oslo is a expensive city. I was there for two days and spent over $150 USD on 4 meals (no alcohol).
>>
TusenFryd is the only legit amusement park in Norway and is in the Oslo area. I'd check that out if I was there.
>>
unless there's good weather the only fun you can have in norway is getting shitfaced or hanging with friends. Actually fishing trips is pretty awesome too, but then again it's more about the company you're with, and getting shitfaced is definitely apart of it.

Oslo is an ugly city. You can have fun and enjoy yourself by going to the right places, as you can in every medium+ city in the world, but it's just not a nice place to be. When you get to Vestlandet there's so much amazing nature, and you're not gonna be let down by it if you love that sort of thing.

idk how easy it is to rent a boat in norway as a foreigner, but fishing or just tanning and swimming on the water is amazing. Norwegian beaches are kinda shitty, but it might just be me being used to chilling on boats which makes being on a beach sound shitty as hell in comparison.

Norwegians when we want to enjoy ourselves we go to cabins by the sea or on the mountains, our cities kinda suck and everything is expensive. Norway is not the place any urban people would want to go to have fun, even we leave the urban places in our country when we want to enjoy ourselves. Personally Oslo wouldn't even be on my list of stuff to do in norway. If you're going to scandinavia and want to experience a big city at the same time then land in copenhagen for a couple days and fly directly from there to Stavanger/Trondheim. Won't cost more and Copenhagen>>>>>>>Oslo. Cph is much more of a family friendly city than Oslo too, try to talk your parents into it.
>>
File: IMG_0478.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>1109703

>any tips for getting the bet out of Norway
Have a lot of money and get out into nature as much as you can. Norway is a stunningly beautiful country.

>>1109796
Why does everyone have such ugly things to say about Oslo? It's a lovely city in my opinion. No, it's not the greatest city in Europe I think it's quite pleasant. There is enough to see and do if museums, history and culture interests you. I enjoyed the city immensely just walking around, the Fagerborg neighborhood has tons of gorgeous homes, the kings palace and the surrounding park is a nice place to hangout.

No, I wouldn't want to spend more than 3 days or so in Oslo but seriously, why all the hate?
>>
>>1109703
A haven filled- with big booty white girls. God damn I want to be in Norway right now
>>
File: Geiranger2.jpg (152 KB, 1296x972) Image search: [Google]
Geiranger2.jpg
152 KB, 1296x972
Geiranger Fjord
>>
>>1109851
>Haters gonna hate, these niggers are farmers and/or welfar queens.

Oslo is crap and you know it. People only live there for work and school and not because they want to.
>>
>>1109899
Lmao, why did my post get deleted? Is there some butthurt welfare-abusing norwegian who is a mod?

It has so much good information about Oslo.

You are wrong, and you have never seen Oslo. Oslo is the only real city in Norway, and by far the best place to live.

>>1109801
>>1109703
I had a long post about great things to do in Oslo, but some butthurt farmers reported it
>>
File: barcode1.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
barcode1.jpg
179 KB, 1920x1080
>>
Do you still ned tips for Oslo OP?
>>
OP here
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, they were very useful

>>1110047
I can still see your post in the archive. Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. The Vigeland Mausoleum in particular looks amazing; I will make it a priority

>>1110654
Do you have any general tips on making one's way around the city? What's the best way to get around: walking, biking, or getting the train? We've booked a couple of nice restaurants for the evenings but if we're somewhere about in the city during the daytime what sort of place should we look for for something good to eat? We're obviously keen to try as much of the local cuisine as we can, rather than generic international joints. Also, would learning any of the language come in handy?
>>
File: 1462322869328.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1462322869328.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1365
I lived in Bergen for 6 months - it's a wonderful little town and I wish I could go back. Oslo probably has more to do, but Bergen a best regardless.

The number one suggestion I have is to get out of the towns and go hiking somewhere. Go to Preikestolen, Kjeragbolten and Trolltunga, all in the southwest of the country near Stavangar. Even if you can't go as far as that, Oslo and Bergen both have great hiking trails just outside the cities.

If no-one has mentioned it yet, go to Bygdoy in Oslo - it's a peninsula filled with cool little museums. Can confirm Vigeland Park is great.

In terms of getting around, public transport is mostly good everywhere. Oslo and Bergen have trains and trams, everywhere else will have buses, but they're usually fairly frequent. To get between cities, the trains/buses can be expensive, but if you book months ahead or can get discounts they can be good value.
>>
>>1111103
Public transport is really great, you can get everywhere with the tram. Its quite a compact city, so biking is a good idea as well, you'll see a lot more. Consider getting the Oslo pass

As for food/quick lunches I would definitely check out Mathallen, which has a lot of options to choose from, plus its a great place to hang out, with lots of local food.

Fiskeriet at Youngstorget is great for fish and seafood.

Munchies, Dognvill and Illegal all have good burgers. Dognvill has a restaurant at Tjuvholmen which is cool.

For more norwegian/scandinavian check out Engebret, Kontrast (1 michelin start), Kolonihagen and Smalhans. Stick to these and youll be guranteed fantastic food
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.