[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright lads, going to Venice for 4 days, one week from now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: stmarco.jpg (58 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
stmarco.jpg
58 KB, 700x400
Alright lads, going to Venice for 4 days, one week from now.

Don't have anything else planned other than visiting Murano and Burano on Sunday because the museums are free.

What should I see/do/can't absolutely miss?
>>
I personally enjoyed a lot wandering through back-alleys and the less crowded streets. Apart from that it depends on your interests. I was really interested in the medieval history as well as the relics (specially the Byzantine ones). Some people are interested in museums, others in food, it really depends on who you are
>>
Take a stroll around the city at night, when it's not a crowded hell.
>>
>>1108935
Venice is fine but its nothing compared to Florence imo that might just be because i live 1hr away and see it all the time but 2 days in Venice is enough. you can catch a train for 50 euro to Florence or Rome from Venice menstra
>>
>>1108970
3 days where not enough for me (Including Murano, Burano and Torcello). One more day would've probably been just fine
>>
>>1108938
interested into art, architecture and photography I guess
>>1108947
do the watertaxis run between islands? I will be staying on Guidecca, is it possible to get home at night?
>>1108970
might do it next time, hostel is already booked though
>>
File: DSC02249.jpg (317 KB, 745x651) Image search: [Google]
DSC02249.jpg
317 KB, 745x651
>>1108935
If you go to Burano, do take the boat to Torcello to see the church, there are some great byzantine-inspired mosaics that can be seen much more clearly than at San Marco

pic related
>>
Dunno if you're into architectural history.
Of course Europe is Arch. Hist. central, but Venice in particular has the specific style Venetian Gothic.
Baroque too everywhere, of course.
If you are, brush up on some before going so you know what you're looking at and looking for.
Little details like flowers and lions and shit, in addition to the intricate brick patterning and detailing.
>>
>>1109072
added. Is Tocello, Burano and Murano doable in a day or should I do Tocello (+maybe another island?) on a separate day?
>>1109078
thanks for the tip, will try to learn some before next week
>>
>>1109288
you can definitley do Burano, Murano and Torcello in one day. Just allow a day for that and you might even have time to spend later in Venice itself.
>>
>>1109316
Nice! Is there a service that runs between those 3 islands, or will I have to go back to Venice every time?
>>
>>1109998
There is a vaporetto service. You just have to read the line-map. I don't remember which lines where those
>>
One day to go HYPE

Also, it seems that on Sunday there's the Festa della Sensa taking place. Anybody knows from where you can see them dropping the ring into the ocean?
>>
>>1109998
You have to take a boat from Venice to Burano (45 minutes iirc), then another one to Torcello (5 minutes). From Torcello the same boat takes you back to Burano, where you can take another one to Murano. The vaporetto there will then take you back in Venice.

I recommend going up the campanile of San Giorgio rather than the one at San Marco : the view is nicer and it's much much less crowded. Ca' d'oro is my favorite venetian house, and it's home to a nice museum as well. The Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni has some great paintings by Carpaccio. San Giovanni e Paolo and Santa Maria dei Frari are two great medieval churches where the venetian nobility like to get buried, with some nice funerary sculpture. At San Marco, look at the sculptures around the basilica and at the mosaics in the narthex, they're too often overlooked. Other than that, do what another anon said, roam the little streets at night or early in the morning when it's not crowded.

Venice is really an amazing place if you manage to do it right. Enjoy your stay OP.
>>
>>1109063
watertaxis probably dont work all night, but when I was there they had built a makeshift bridge between giudecca and the main island, so you could get across without the taxis. Maybe it's still there?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.