[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get from Helsinki to Tallinn? I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5
File: Gulf-of-Finland.png (541 KB, 461x300) Image search: [Google]
Gulf-of-Finland.png
541 KB, 461x300
What's the best way to get from Helsinki to Tallinn? I know it's by ferry but which service is the best? For some reason this issue is causing me a lot of anxiety. There are several different services and a lot of them have bad reviews or are too expensive. I almost booked with a service called Linda Line but backed out after the reading of their excessive and unexpected cancelations, not to mention their extremely sketchy payment system for there website.

Anyways what is the best way to get between the two cities? Is booking ahead necessary or could I pay at the time of service without risk of a ship being overbooked?

Thanks for your help /trv/!
>>
Estonian here.
I don't know what sites you've been using and I don't have much experience either as I live in Tartu but you might find this site useful:
laevapiletid .ee /en

Don't think it's much use worrying about bad reviews if all you need to do is cross the bay, which admittedly is still a bit tricky for how much traffic there is.

It'd probably be smart to book ahead in terms of both ticket prices and overbooking, which might or might not be a problem, depending on when you're going.

If you have any more questions, shoot and I'll do my best to answer
>>
File: IMG_0605.jpg (121 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0605.jpg
121 KB, 720x1280
>>1108660

Thanks for the reply, I think I've decided on Eckerö Line. They are cheap and they sail directly from city center to city center.

Since I have your attention, there were a few other questions I was hoping you could answer. What is best way to travel in-between the baltic countries. After Tallinn I will be going to Riga and Finally Vilnius. I've heard the train systems in the Baltics are not quite up to the standards of other European countries, however I've read that buses are cheap and very reliable for long distance traveling in the Baltic's. What would you recommend?

Again, thanks for the help!
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460903534206.jpg (39 KB, 960x773) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460903534206.jpg
39 KB, 960x773
While they are convenient between getting from city to city, it's true that the current train lines don't have many connections and they certainly don't connect between the baltics at the moment, those plans are still underway.

Buses are a good choice if you want to save some mad dosh. Luxexpress and Ecolines are the two buslines you can check out, sometimes they have capital to capital transfers for pretty much pocket change.
Superbus is another budget company that I use to go to Tallinn sometimes for like 2€, and word went around that they're planning on opening routes to Riga in May.

When taking a bus it's certainly smarter to plan ahead and book early on the internet. That's guaranteed to save money and time.
>>
File: 1429324099881.jpg (80 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1429324099881.jpg
80 KB, 640x1136
>>1108789

Thanks pham. One last question, is Tartu worth visiting? I won't go there this time around but I'll probably find myself in that part of planet again. Any cool things to do there?
>>
File: DSC_0262.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0262.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
>>1108995
I love living here as it's a cozy student town with interesting local events happening constantly.
As a tourist destination though, I could see it being a bit dull at first glance as there's really no wow effect to it.
I'm not trying to put you off or anything, you're free to visit any time you want, maybe during some bigger event. But it'd probably be smarter if you do it on a pass-by for a day or so.
If you like nature, there's the park of Taevaskoja. Very peaceful, well laid out and a lovely hike for an hour or two.
If you like science, there's the AHHAA science center, full of lots of interactive stuff for kids and adults alike.

What I do recommend you do is if you ever pop by again, visit Saaremaa, the largest island. Especially in the summer.
You can camp pretty much anywhere, it's full of windmills and the cliff formations are pretty darn cool. If you're lucky, you can find little (or quite huge, as the ones I brought home) salt crystals stuck in there and mine some out.
Set up camp right next to the sea last summer and waking up was pure bliss.

You probably have an itinerary for Tallinn already but it has a lot of museums, if you're into that. The Seaplane Harbor one is top-notch. A good attraction to go on would probably be the TV Tower, just as an example.
Oh and make sure you don't miss the old town, definitely my favorite part of the whole city.
>>
I'm a veteran traveler of Hel-Tal by boat. I've only taken Eckerö once. It takes longer than the 2 hour Tallink fast shifts and it feels a bit cheaper.

In general I recommend Tallink, though Linda is also pretty good as long as the weather permits..that's the issue.

On the bus front I can vouch for LuxExpress and possibly Ecolines.
>>
I used Linda Line without any issues. Why are you making this such a big deal? Just show up at the port and take whatever is available. I paid for tickets with Linda Line on location.
>>
>>1109040
They just want advice. Why ask "why are you making this a big deal"? Obviously they are looking for first time advice and if that displeases you move on like the insolent little fuck-twat you are. kys plz.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.