[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travel alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1459124906350.jpg (87 KB, 394x549) Image search: [Google]
1459124906350.jpg
87 KB, 394x549
So /trv/, I'm planning a backpacking trip alone but am afraid of a scenario in which I don't talk to anyone or anything during the trip. Have you traveled alone? What's it like
>>
>>1108242
Why does that scare you?
>>
Are you a spagetthi lord back home? Why do you think that will change if you're some place else?

Are you a normie/Chad back home? Why do you think that will change if you're some place else?
>>
>>1108242

Not OP but...

>Are you a spagetthi lord back home? Why do you think that will change if you're some place else?

You're away from your regular life and the people you are forced to deal with regularly. Fewer consequences and no one to judge you. That might make a spaghetti monster more bold.

>Are you a normie/Chad back home? Why do you think that will change if you're some place else?

Being in a new surrounding and out of your comfort zone where you're not accustomed to culture or language could certainly make an outgoing normie more spaghetti or beta.

See what I mean?
>>
>>1108242
Hey OP,
I'm also going on my first solo this summer. Bit scared too!
Well how are you back home? Sociable?
Do you make friends easily?
If you want to meet people just stick to hostels and look out for people you might get on with in the common areas. That's my plan.
You'll be fine! Get hype.
>>
>>1108250
>Don't know anyone
>New place
>Don't even know the culture
Are you really asking?
>>
>>1108283
Thanks man, I am sociable but don't know how I would react being in a brand new place for me in which I don't know anyone. I guess I'll hang out in common areas and meet people
>>
>>1108242
i solo backpacked for 7 months last year. one of the reasons i did it was to boost my confidence. my thought process was that if i don't put myself out there and chat to people i'm not going to have a good time.

for the first week or two i was nervous and kept to myself. after that i started approaching people because i knew i was likely never going to see these people again and i noticed how social hostels are. my biggest regret of my trip is the first two weeks when i kept to myself.

people are usually up for a chat in hostels, and if they aren't...fuck em' and move on to someone else. if you're worried about how to approach people remember you have some of the best conversation starters.

"where are from?"
"where are going?"
"where have you been?"
>>
It's really easy. Just stay in hostels and talk to people. Find the party hostels if you're a bad ass motherfucker.
>>
So I'm planning my first trip. Plan to backpack across the us a bit. Try and catch the backwoods and such. Where is everybody headed?
>>
>>1108242 (OP)
> but am afraid of a scenario in which I don't talk to anyone or anything during the trip

I've traveled _a lot_ over the past 8+ years, most of the time alone, sometimes with friends. Meeting (interesting) people, I find, is much, much easier when you are on your own.

start your trip staying in hostels (AirBnB or Hotels might offer more comfort but tend to make random social stuff harder, you can always do this later in your trip…), don't go for the cheapest shit places: Check the reviews and pictures, eg. do they have a common area? do they have a kitchen? basically look for things that might foster socializing. Many hostels also have activities, tours, pub crawls, whatever.

Once you're at a hostel hang out in the common area, just talk to random people. A simple "Hi how are you?"/"Where are you from?" is typically sufficient. It's not witty and doesn't show of your intelligence but it doesn't have to be. It's a conversation starter. If you're too shy to talk to people or if you're just not feeling it (still happens to me from time to time), don't sweat it, chances are someone will start talking to you (probably with at "Hey! Where are you from?"). That said, don't hide behind your laptop all the time and browse /b/. You want to be approachable. Read a book, map, play a game of cards, or if you have to be at your laptop make sure to look around every now so often or maybe even put a sticker on the display "HI I'M ANON.".
>>
OP, I have solo traveled before for 3 weeks in Germany and it was my first time out of the country (I live in the US) One good note is to book at a hostel. Generally, all the people there are travelers who are also wanting to meet new people. I managed to make quite an amount of new friends by going up to people. I also recommend hostels with bars as there are more people looking for new mates. I don't know if you drink, but alcohol can help as well if you don't overdo it and become a cuck at the bar who ruins it for everyone
>>
File: 20160404_160415.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160404_160415.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1108292
It's just like >>1108300 said. It's really not bad. I was in Japan for 3 weeks not too long ago. It was my first trip by myself and my first trip out of the country. It was surprisingly easy to talk to people, even those whose English was completely awful. In those cases it was actually pretty fun. Hostels are great places to be sociable, and after a little while, you'll definitely get friendly with people there. I'm someone who's completely awkward with everyone at first, but after a couple days, you'll see that people are really friendly and easy to talk to.

Don't worry OP, unless you're going somewhere really dangerous, I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
just remember that no one will remember who you are
>>
>>1108242
Travelled solo quite a bit.

Did it initially because I was on a year abroad in college and just wanted a break from my classmates.

Ended up loving it, it's my favorite way to travel.

Just make sure you stay in hostels, that's where you make friends. Bear in mind when you're travelling solo, you can be anyone you want to be, no one knows you, and you won't see most of them again, so there's basically no pressure on you.

Travelling solo kind of forces you to make friends, much more so than travelling with a person does
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.