[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MALTA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: malta2.jpg (49 KB, 618x348) Image search: [Google]
malta2.jpg
49 KB, 618x348
Hello guys, I just saw that there's now cheap flights from my location to the island of MALTA - I'm considering to go for a week.

Has anyone been? What did you think of the place?

I'm mostly interested in places that have a strong local culture, maybe some interesting nature, not TOO touristy (not Venice/Ibiza/Magaluf-level). I'm interested in good local food, churches and a historical/archaeological backdrop.

Would you recommend MALTA to me? I'm mostly concerned that it might be some hyper-touristy resort-town place (see pic)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (536 KB, 1895x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
536 KB, 1895x1080
>>
I was there last year july/august and it was superb. Just mind the weather, its super hot in there that time, rest of the year should be warm and sunny too.

Its perfect place to visit for you if you like that kind of things and im sure you wont be dissapointed. Cant reccomend much about the food cause i had all inclusive option bought and mosty i ate in hotel.

what you HAVE to see in Malta/Gozo :

Mdina - I reccomend going during the day and in the evening, yopu will see why.

Plenty to see in Valletta only, barraka gardens, harbour, grandmasters palace.. Valletta is one or 2d walking around

Rotunda - a must see church in Mosta, check opening times before going. I remember its closed for 2h sometime during day

Qrendi - archeological stuff. I wasnt interested in it but its highly reccomended to go there if one like that kind of stuff

On gozo - azure window, blue grotto and blue lagoon. Havent been in other places but i know there is plenty to see too, I was just short on time already.

Go to lagoone by having a trip. plenty to choose from, i had and reccomend this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g608948-d3244048-Reviews-Hornblower_Cruises-Bugibba_Island_of_Malta.html

Go there, you wont be dissapointed.
>>
oh, and dont forget to take your snorkel while going to lagoon :-)
>>
I've been to Malta twice. Rather, the island of Gozo, which is part of Malta and situated to the north. During my stays I have taken day trips to the mainland.

The whole eastern side of the island is a mass of resorts and seemingly interlinked towns. Not very pretty in my opinion. A notable exception are the small, characterful capital Valletta which has a host of museums and sites to visit. A rather quirky attraction was Casa Rocca Piccola - you get a guided tour around a small palazzo owned by one of Malta's noble families. When I went there, the Marquis himself was wandering around with his pet parrot.

The interior of the main island is more expansive and less tourist focused, yet more interesting for someone like yourself. The old capital, Mdina, is beautiful and worth a day's visit. There's also the Tarxien temple complex, which is pretty unique. Most of this area is agricultural by nature.

Gozo is my favourite, though mainlanders consider it a bit of a timewarp. In an already very Catholic country Gozo is considered conservative. It is rural, quiet, slow and whilst I hesitate to say beautiful, has a rather bucolic charm. My partner and I have hiked around the island, hung out at Ramla Beach and done guided tours of local farms. Even the smallest town seems to possess a wonderful domed church, though I think this is common throughout the country. Gozo is also home to Ggantija, a temple complex claimed to be the oldest extant buildings in the world. Very much worth a visit.

Nature wise there are lots of birds on the islands, but equally a good number of people who like to shoot them. On Gozo you'll see lizards everywhere, some pretty cool spiders, and on our last trip we found a chameleon climbing a wall. The history of the islands is fascinating, having been occupied by seemingly everybody at one point - there's an excellent archaeological museum in Valletta that takes you through the ages.
>>
As others have said lots to see and do beyond sitting on a beach. I would add Mosta and its church to Mdina and Tarxien. As an idea if you have no date fixed then Google to see when village Saints days are as the churches will be dressed and there will be festival and fireworks. Virgin Mary Day in August is particularly noteworthey.
>>
>>1107957
Adding to my original post...

If you're a gourmand, I would say Malta doesn't stack up very well. Much of the cuisine is heavily influenced by southern Italy, so you won't find a huge amount of distinct local flavour. Some exceptions: pastizzi, which are small pastries filled with either mashed peas or cheese. These are everywhere and cost next to nothing. My favourite food from Gozo is the ftira, a kind of semi-flat bread with numerous varieties. My favourite was from a tiny bakery in Nadur and it involved anchovies, capers, potato and black pepper. There is a lovely bitter-orange soda called Kinnie. Rabbit is prepared in a variety of different ways and is considered a local delicacy.

Maltese people themselves, from a foreigner's perspective, are a bit odd. Nothing like their effusive neighbours in the Med. They seem to be a fairly serious, phlegmatic bunch - though as my wife observed, always courteous and helpful. If you get to know them (we became familiar with a bar owner and the guy who ran our local mini-mart) you might get a peek of a dry sense of humour. Unlike Turkey or Morocco, you won't get hassled in the street by Maltese.

All in all though, it's a great, quirky place. I went to Gozo for peace, quiet, history and decent food and it ticks all those boxes. Absolutely try and find out about village festivals - we went to one that was solely about this single road in the village we stayed in and it was a wonderful insight into the history and culture of the place.
>>
This thread sounds just like viral marketers talking to each other.
>>
>>1108920

This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>1107924
maltese here... ama
>>
>>1108920
Fair enough. I'm the author of two of the lengthier posts, so I'll try to redress the balance.

So what's shit about Malta? Well, it has one of the highest car ownership rates, which is a problem because nobody knows how to drive them. It's a free-for-all on mostly crappy roads. Bonus points for Gozo with it's Escher-like road network and the likelihood of encountering mopeds, quadbikes and the odd pony and trap.

The local girls are not much to look at. A few of them stand out, but mostly they're plain looking, short-sighted and miserable. A remarkable degree of similarity persists, perhaps due to a relatively small gene pool. There's about six fucking surnames in the entire country.

I mentioned that Malta doesn't exactly inspire when it comes to its cuisine, and once you've run the pizza / ftira / pasta gamut you're pretty much done with the local fayre. But worse is the booze. They grow wine locally but it's pretty rank compared to the Italian stuff produced relatively nearby. Beer is poor too - Cisk and Hopleaf are the two most widely available but they're your average Eurofizz. I came across one craft beer brewery. Ultimately though, it does the job and gets you drunk, so there's that.

Lastly, being a big sports fan I went to see a soccer game. There's hardly any grass on the islands so all games take place at three or four stadia, with two games per match day. These means rival supporters sometimes clash when one game finishes and another waits to start. The games themselves were awful and saw at least one red card every time for some horrendous tackle.
>>
I'm travelling to Malta in the end of May. I heard that the weather will be alright then, not too hot and dry yet, right?
How are the prices for, say, alcohol and cigs there? How about basic food items from a supermarket?
>>
>>1109048
alcohol is cheap, bottle of Smirnoff at 14 e in supermarkets

cigs start at 5e
>>
>>1109028
Haha. Thank you for your posts. I will be staying on Gozo for 5 days, with daytrips to Malta planned. Sit in the sun for a bit, eat some rabbit, walk up to churches, maybe swim. Thanks again
>>
I went to see some of the monolithic ruins and check out the history in late October. Really nice place if you're into that, mdina and Valletta were both very nice. I didn't go out at night really when I was there, I tried some rabbit and it was pretty shit desu Overall I enjoyed my time in Malta, it's a beautiful place with so much history but I don't think I'll go again, there is not so much to see beyond spending a week there
>>
I like cars. Is there a decent car culture over there?

If I drive down to Italy this summer in my modified sports car, then take a boat to Malta, will I be able to drive on the primitive Maltan "roads"?

I know I will get a lot of female attention because of my car.
Are Maltan girls really as ugly as that anon said?
>>
>>1110792
lol if you got a sports car, i suggest you stay at home max xpeed limit is 80km/hr and stretches of road are short
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.