[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have any experience with freighthopping?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 220x231) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 220x231
Does anyone here have any experience with freighthopping?
>>
Oh God here we go again.

Look i'll save you some time and maybe you'll delete your thread before it goes the same way it always does. Its basically impossible to do this if you live in the USA and one anon will claim he has done it and it was the best thing ever.

But remember, he is lying. Everyone telling you it can't be done are telling you the truth.
>>
>>1107090
>Its basically impossible to do this if you live in the USA
That is patently false, though. It is still fairly common. I'd be surprised if you ever got empty freight cars like that though. You'll be holding on to the open bars arranged at the end of a tanker or flat bed loaded with girders or some shit.

Also, trying to catch a running train is suicide. You need to learn their schedules so you can get on before it starts moving.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-24-04-26-13.png (464 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-24-04-26-13.png
464 KB, 720x1280
>>1107103
Not really. Trainhopping and finding out where you're going is easier than ever. The whole get caught go to jail is the only downside desu.
>>1107095
Just got back from 6 days riding up to Oakland CA. :)
>>
>>1107109
Got any pics?
>>
>>1107109

>The whole get caught go to jail is the only downside desu.

>posts picture that describes several ways that trainhopping will kill you

no comment
>>
>>1107121
No one lives forever.
>>
>>1107125
That doesn't mean you should do things that can increase your chances of dying earlier.

But that's your life. As long as your death don't delay my life, I don't care. So don't even dare to cause an accident that will stall my train.
>>
>>1107090
i got drunk one night and slept in an empty box car near the train station one night but that's as close as I have gotten
>>
>>1107095
I dont train hop, but I know a lot of gutterpunks and writers (graffiti) that do. So you are full of shit.
>>
>>1107145
>my train

first off, in the US nobody hops on passenger trains. Second, fuck you, I don't give a shit about how precious your time is. Third, here you go:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/mar/30/mike-brodie-juvenile-train-rider-photos-interview

mikebrodie.net

Crustpunks all over the US do it, just because you're afraid of it doesn't mean everyone is.
>>
>>1107218
>>1107723

Crust/gutterpunks are pretty much the definition of "selfish piece of shit" and desu I feel bad for their dogs...
>>
File: 6723489234923.jpg (169 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
6723489234923.jpg
169 KB, 864x576
I worked in a UP rail yard for 2 years unloading pic related. The doors are sealed with a thick bolt that is actually more like a rivet in design, it has a head to it that can be popped off with leverage and the right tool or possibly a crowbar though we used a tool that fit the head.

It wasn't common but occasionally we would get rail cars that the seal had been broken and with garbage inside, so there are people out there doing it. Illegal as fuck I'm guessing as the rail cars are private property.
>>
File: IMG_20160428_130448.jpg (191 KB, 720x921) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160428_130448.jpg
191 KB, 720x921
>>1107090
I've seen pic related recommended a few times, and from the reviews it sounds like a very interesting read on the subject. Ive been meaning to pick up a copy for a while now.
>>
>>1108966
forgot to mention, some cars are sealed with incredibly thick braided wire. I can usually be broken by sticking any kind of metal tube through the open part of the loop and twisted till it breaks.

That's what you are up against trying to get into one that is sealed.
>>
>>1108972
That cover is pretty great.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.