[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Amsterdam, what to do there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 5.jpg (94 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
94 KB, 800x532
I'm going to Amsterdam on the 12th of july with my cousin. We're both 21 and from Norway. I've booked five nights at " The flying pig downtown" hostel as I've read a lot of good things about them and it is relatively cheap.

I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to travelling in big cities and I'm usually not much of a party guy (introverted), but I want to let loose and come out of my shell when I'm here, have some fun and hopefully get some friends, and if I'm super lucky, maybe even a girl for a night.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of things to do or things to see while we are here? Also, does anyone have any experience with this hostel in particular?

I'm also wondering about the whole weed culture in Amsterdam. What's the legality of it? How common is it? I was raised in a very anti-drug family so it's not a primary objective for me to go out and get some, but is this something people pass around and expect you to enjoy if they are feeling friendly? I don't know if I would try it or not. Though, it's not really a big deal.

Also, any other general tips for traveling, staying in a hostel, making friends, having fun on the trip etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!
>>
>>1106942
re: weed

tldr; smoke a little but not too much

young people smoke way too much weed at once, get sent to the stratosphere and then can't function the rest of the day

same thing with edibles, they will be too powerful for you so avoid them. just take a puff or two and go about your day/night

it's not a real great place to go club since booze is so expensive

just cruise around on a bike, find some cafes, read a book by the canals

at nighttime just hang out in the hostel common room and there will be lots of people looking to party

might be fun to do a pub crawl but don't mix booze and weed, just stick to one or the other
>>
>>1106972
Good advice mate, thanks.
>>
Shameful self bump?
>>
Go to De School nightclub if you're a cool kid. Best nightclub in Amsterdam.

Also, check Resident Advisor for club listings.
>>
File: 1405794832365.jpg (96 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1405794832365.jpg
96 KB, 720x1280
How long are you staying?

For clubbing go to rembrandt square, club Air and Escape are good but have an entry fee (most parties cost 10 euros). Also on Rembrandt square there is de Kroon, John doe and Cooldown cafe which are good and have free entry.

Now for a more touristy party spot is Leidse Square. Lots of clubs there aswell but the good ones are Jimmy Woo, Melkweg and Nova. Sometimes theres a good party in Paradiso which is like a 2 min walk from Leidse Square it really depends on the night. Bitterzoet which is actually just behind your hostel is a good club aswell but again it depends on the night and what kind of party is going on.

You can buy weed in coffeeshops and smoke it wherever you want. Police won't do shit.

I don't really like eating in the city as its expensive and shitty most of the time but you can take public transportation to Eerste oosterpark straat which is filled with cheap and good food. Or you could check out the Albert Cuyp Market and at the end of it is a restaurant called Spang Makandra which is really good and fairly cheap.

Supermarkets close at 10, most other shops like clothing close at 6 (thursdays 9)

Youre walking distance from the red light district (10 mins). Vondelpark is nice in the summer to sit down and enjoy the sun. Near Dam square there are alot of places to visit like the torture museum or Madame Tussaud. Theres plenty to do in the centre and when you get bored there id suggest going to the south part of amsterdam or the east part. North is a shitty place with nothing to do and West is just boring.
>>
>>1107736
North isn't shitty, take the ferry to NDSM Werf and explore some shit there. It's cool.
>>
>>1107733
>>1107736
>>1107742
Nice, solid advice guys. I'll definately write this stuff down :) Thanks.
>>
Brouwerij 't IJ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwerij_%27t_IJ

One of the best breweries I've ever been to and one of the best "locals" and unique places in Amsterdam. Try a good range of their beers (they're served all across the city but they're super cheap here) and have some snacks too (aged cheese and sausage pairs well with a lot of their beers).

Really unique, friendly place.
>>
>>1107875
Oh, and as far as museums I visited a majority of them when I was there.

Definitely try to see the tulip gardens (get a bus pass to get out there at IAmsterdam), Our Lord in the Attic (one of a kind experience, even for non-religious), and the naval museum is good too. Basically get an IAmsterdam pass and visit everything that sounds interesting. The thing will pay for itself multiple times over since you get a transit pass included.
>>
>>1107736
>You can buy weed in coffeeshops and smoke it wherever you want. Police won't do shit.

Is this true? I know the law is coffee shops ONLY, but id much rather smoke it up in vondelpaark.

Hows the weather in early may tho?
>>
>>1107951
yea ofcourse, most people dont even smoke indoors. It's actually against the law to smoke tobacco like cigarettes and cigars indoors in Holland. There are specific designated areas indoors for that that have the right ventilation system etc.

But the thing is youre allowed to smoke a joint in a coffeeshop which is mixed with tobacco. I find that weird. Alot of people blaze it up in parks.
>>
>>1107984
And wont get fucked by coppers if i toke up in the park?
>>
>>1108024
Nope, unless you get caught for something else and have a higher than permitted amount on you. But just for smoking you'll have no worries.

Source: Amsterdammer who goes to Vondelpark often to smoke
>>
>>1108027
Cool, thanks.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.