[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Road Trip USA - Car rental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1443351409181.jpg (517 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1443351409181.jpg
517 KB, 2048x1365
Hey eurofag here.

Going on a roadtrip on the west coast in Juli/August. Originally booked a car for 690€, pick up in San Diego drop off 3 weeks later in Seattle.

But yesterday they called me and said that there was an extra 500 dollar fee because of the difference in pick up and drop off points.

Is there any way to circumvent this, or are there cheaper options?

Open to all suggestions.
>>
1)Say you're picking up and dropping at the same place.
2)Pay with cash.
3)Drop off in another city.
4)???
5)Profit
>>
>>1106266
You always need to have a credit card. Nice try.
>>
>>1106289
Use prepaid cards.
>>
>>1106296
They orobably wont allow that. You think these giant companies would just let that kind of money slip through the cracks?

>>1106238
I refuse to believe they just randomly called you and told you about this fee if this was your plan all along. I have rented cars one-way in the US and it is always an option you have to select that clearly states it is going to cost more.

The only way around your fee is to take the car back to where you got it from.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1106238
No, there will always be a fee for dropping off somewhere else, it's based on mileage. Basically each branch is its own operation and if you drop it off far away, they will lose a car forever.

Try to book it online and see what price the website gives you. Sometimes if you book a desirable car, they will quote you a high drop fee so they don't lose it. Make them stick to the legit price online

Pro tip: nearby rental branches are almost always cheaper than the airport, even if the price looks lower, most airports charge 15-22% sales tax whereas the rest of California is only 8%

Any other questions, just ask

>>1106296
No, you need a credit card. You can't even use a debit unless you live near the renting branch and can prove your address via utility bill or pay stub. Why the fuck would you loan someone a car off a prepaid card?

Source: I work for enterprise and am working at this second
>>
>>1106296
No, that won't happen. You need a credit card (with sufficient provision, which gets RESERVED) or you don't rent a car. Simple as that.
>>
>>1106336
>they will lose a car forever
wat. You do know the sheer amount of cars rented in the US and people doing the oposite and to and from other cities just levels this 'lack of cars' right?
>>
>>1106296
If you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, maybe refrain from giving advice?
>>
>>1106297
It said there might be a small fee if you drop it off somewhere else. I didnt think 500dollar is considered a small fee.
>>
>>1106362
Force me.
>>
>>1106336
This was online. I have been looking at other sites, and it appears that the 500dollar fee site was actually still the cheapest. Thats why i came asking here to see if anyone would know a cheaper plan.

You think i should not book in advance and just find one local? Im a bit afraid to do this desu.
>>
>>1106361
I run an enterprise branch. Each ones performance is assessed at an individual level. The people IN the branch only care about their branch, that's what determines their paycheck and promotions. i don't give a fuck about a branch 20 miles from me, let alone in another state

My branch has a fleet of 300 cars, I only have maybe 25 minivans which go into high demand in the summer. If someone is going to take one and drive it to Seattle, my fleet is now 299 cars and I can't rent that minivan to families on summer vacation. So if someone wakes in and says they want a one way minivan, I'm going to ask for as much money as I possibly can to make up for it, or I'll offer to waive the drop fee if they take a shitty high mileage economy car with stained seats, since it will now become the other branches problem

>>1106378
No don't wait till you get there, but check to see if there is a branch NEAR the airport but isn't inside the airport. There is usually a second branch within a mile from any major airport
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1106425
Here is enterprise 1.0 screen in front of me for proof. Note the date/time on the taskbar
>>
>>1106425
Can I use this knowledge in my favor?
That is, can I call up an Enterprise and go "Listen, I need a car to drop off at a different location, give me your shittiest car so I don't have to pay the drop fee?"
>>
>>1106378
make sure to use booking codes, it's basically a given nowadays that you can't get a decent deal with them

carrentalsavers.net (or something like that) was a site that would fill them in automatically the last time I needed one
>>
>>1106378
>>1107357

this is the right one:

http://www.carrentalsavers.com/

makes it so you don't have to hunt for codes
>>
>>1106238
Complain to the car rental company. If it wasn't in the fine print and they didn't state it up-front, it's their fuck up. I had a problem with an Alamo rental and I complained and got that shit refunded.

>>1106336
>I work for enterprise et responsicus

Why is renting a car such a pain in the ass? Took my first vacation (maybe my only one) last year with my father and one little travel delay set our entire vacation into a spiraling shitshow that didn't stop until half our vacation was already over. If it makes you feel any better it wasn't Enterprise.
>>
>>1106238
what rental service?
If it is enterprise, call and complain, talk to managers, etc, say you were told different when booked, keep at it till you get what you want.
It's a weird customer service thing in America. Most countries love customers, but here we are treated like account numbers, till you complain.
>>
>>1107342
I've heard of services that do this type of shit, rent you a vehicle that they would otherwise ship to said destination at a manageable rate.
>>
I dunno how you would work out the legal particulars like registration and insurance but for 700 euros plus a $500 would give you enough money to just buy a cheap beater in Cali and sell it up north, used cars are very cheap in America
>>
Does anyone know where to rent a manual car in the US?
>>
>>1108014
why would you do this :DDDDDDDDDD
I'm European and I don't get the need to drive manual. (and I drive one)
>>
Just stay in the right lane. Don't even care about anything else you want to do. Stay in the right lane as your drive there.
>>
>>1106238
You set the booking for a drop off/pick up in the right locations? I don't believe that could be the case or you picked a shady rental company. I did almost literally the same thing (Phoenix to Seattle, but stopped in San Diego) and my quote stayed consistent through the whole process. I rented through enterprise so although there are anons who state they work for enterprise in this thread I don't know if their knowledge is simply related to their region. I rented a 2015 Camry for 8 days for $900, which I price checked and would have been less than if I rented for 8 days in Phoenix and dropped off in Phoenix. Price never changed, never saw a "distance fee" on my receipt
>>
>>1108217
This was with the damage waiver btw, without it it would have been $650 or so. Also it was a great trip anon, definitely check out the Oregon coast on your way. Absolutely my favorite part of the trip
>>
>>1108162
I'm not driving since a long time and I would like to stay used to driving stickies.
I have nothing against manual cars, I just want to be a able to drive both.
>>
>>1108365
Its the same, just one less thing to do and more time to relax and watch the road...
>>
>>1107342
yes

or "im renting for a week, i want to keep the good car for 6 days then ill come switch to your shittiest car and dump it on someone else if youll waive the drop fee" is pretty common
>>
>>1107420
you had a shitty experience because it isnt enterprise. theres a reason we are far and away #1 in every single category

enterprise employees arent commissioned except in how the branch does overall and most importantly, their customer service score. instead you get promoted quickly and can make 6 figures in 4-5 years if you do well. so they train you to be worth that amount while you are there. after a year or so, every employee is better at the business than any manager at hertz/avis etc

its surprisingly difficult to run a successful car rental business. on any given day, you have say 25 cars, 4 of which are economy cars. then you get 40 economy car reservations and 20 of those people show up. how do you make the most amount of revenue off your fleet?

thats how the 23 year old enterprise employee is thinking while the hertz/avis/alamo guy is just commissioned per rental, so he doesnt give a fuck if you come back or if the business does well. "sorry no more economy cars, eat shit"
>>
>>1107853
drop fees will 100% be discussed at the branch and they will not waive it. things that can be done with the reservation before you walk in, are set in stone and are expected to be very clear

things that are negotiated after you walk in, can potentially be miscommunicated and can be waived
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.