[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
regional food and drink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: 1423105072246.jpg (66 KB, 500x645) Image search: [Google]
1423105072246.jpg
66 KB, 500x645
I'm planning on doing a large tour of the United States next year on motorcycle, with the possibility of hitting all the lower 48 states. I'm generating a list of places to see/things to do/food to eat/etc. and am coming up a bit short on the last one. Food is rather a big deal for me, and I'm looking to try dishes and drinks that are famous to particular cities or regions. Some examples include:

Chicago pizza
Garbage plate from Rochester
Cheesesteak from Philly
Bagels from Long Island
Clam chowder from New England

... and so on. Sometimes it's hard to get grassroots info on what hole in the wall to visit in some town with a population of 10,000 that has the best burritos north of the border.

Any suggestions or places you've come across on your travels? Thanks!
>>
If you hit Missouri stop in St. Louis.
Really good food and many micro/craft breweries as well as AB.
Local food
Stl style pizza
Toasted raviolis
Pork steak.
I have traveled a lot throughout America and say stl food if you eat at the right spots is on top tier list.
>>
Which part of Michigan are you driving through
>>
File: logo.png (135 KB, 238x257) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
135 KB, 238x257
>>1105953
it's not necessarily famous, but if you like grilled cheese hit up Cheesie's while you're in Chicago.

The best grilled cheese I've ever had and one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. They have 2 or 3 locations around Chicago as well as a food truck. If you go on a Sunday morning from 11-2 you can get a sandwich and unlimited domestic beer/bloody mary's/mimosas for $25, if you're into that.
>>
All 48? You know that will take months....

Anyway, Wisconsin: (1) Kopps on Port Washington Road in Milwaukee for real frozen custard and a good, big burger. (2) Fish Fry Friday in Wausau on your way to Minnesota, The Loading Zone, get the wall-eye.
>>
In NC, you need to sample Eastern and Western BBQ (pulled pork) and decide which is best. Hint -- if it has ketchup sauce n it, it is second best. Calabash fried seafood is also great, especially of you can get down to Calabash, just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. Get into one of the old restaurants down by the water, the newer places are OK, but the old places are best. No atmosphere, just lots of delicious, lightly fried seafood.

In SC, you can find similar seafood at places like Nance's in Murrell's Inlet. Or mustard-based BBQ at Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park around Columbia.

Low-country boil in coastal SC or Georgia is also good. Shrimp, crabs, corn, sausage, potatoes and spices, plus other bits and pieces from time to time, boiled up in a big pot and dumped on the table. Best spot I have found for that is The Crab Shack just off Tybee Island, GA, near Savannah.
>>
>>1106131
Oh, in NC BBQ places ask if the use Jim Graham's recipe for Brunswick stew. If they do, get some of that, with some hot sauce it is amazing. If they do not use Commissioner Graham's recipe, skip it. Sadly, most places use an inferior recipe that just makes mush.
>>
>>1106096
Kopps is good custard, but there are so many much better burger places, even in the immediate area. If you're in milwaukee I'd suggest AJ Bombers, Rock Bottom Brewery for burgers. Red Dot, Cafe Corazon, Beans and Barley, Cafe Hollander/Centraal/Benelux for food in general. But while here you've gotta get some cheese curds (I like garlic and dill flavored) from any grocery store and some fried ones as an appetizer anywhere you go for a meal. If there's one thing you need while in Wisconsin it's curds.
>>
>>1105979
Exact route is up in the air and subject to change at a moment's notice. Part of the fun for me is just seeing where the road goes and pointing my wheel at places people recommend.
>>
>>1106241
Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island in Detroit are the first Coney Islands, which are all over the country now. They're located literally right next to each other so you can try a coney at both.
>>
Chicago: Lou malnatis or Gino's east Chicago style. Don't overthink it, just do cheese and sausage. Trust me.
>>
>>1105953
>Garbage plate from Rochester
Do not even bother coming to upstate NY, especially not for that. Trust me.
>>
>>1106246
I live in upstate NY, it was just an example.
>>
if you're into BBQ you definitely need to go to central Texas, Austin, Lockhart, Luling, Round Rock and so many other great places to have BBQ, it's so different from the rest of the other states where they make BBQ, and the brisket is like no other and depending on when are you planning to start your trip, there's a big motorcycle rally in Austin around June called "The ROT Rally"
>>
>>1106609
>Texas BBQ
kek

there is no such thing
>>
>>1106641

Nice try KC-bro
>>
>>1106609

You spelled Kansas City wrong.
>>
>>1105953
South side chicago nigga here. Deep dish is for tourists. No one actually eats it who lives here. Our thin crust is the truth though.
>>
Saw's BBQ in Homewood, AL. Best vinegar-based BBQ ribs in the world.
>>
Pittsburgh: Primanti Bros
>>
>>1106768
I have lou's all the time, native since birth. What drugs are you on?
>>
>>1106768
>obvious New Yorker detected
>>
NY has the best pizza, dont even try that chicago garbage. Coal fired brick oven pizza is the BEST, anything else is dominoes tier
>>
>>1107596
>USA
>best pizza
C'mon man, pizza is a Mediterranean thing. You guys know nothing about real pizza.
>>
>>1107596
NYC pizza is extremely overrated desu. detroit style is superior
>>
>>1105953
What about Lombardi's pizza in NYC?
>>
>>1107610
Ha, awful. Most have no idea what to do with pizza. A few at least know how to make a good appetizer. But they all blew it when making real food out of pizza.

Of course so does most of New Yorks floppy greasy crap. Some Chicago deep dish can be good. But for less bread you'll just need to find the best "traditional" crust for you in some ma&pa shop somewhere in the Midwest.
>>
>>1107629

once again you shit up another thread with this "detroit style" pizza bullshit.

I actually went and looked it up to see if its real. Apparently some retards decided amongst themselves that sicilian pizza is now called detroit style, except they smother the pan in grease so the crust gets all chewy and fucked up.

This is officially the most fucking retarded thing I have seen all day. Thank you for that, kill yourself.
>>
>>1106244
No Coney Island dogs in NYC. Just the street water dogs and Papaya places.
>>
>>1107692
Lombardi made the first Neopolitan pie in the US so basically pizza as we all know was launched in New York. Death to Domino's lovers.
>>
>>1107722
Sicilian pizza is not Detroit style in NYC.
>>
>>1108447

I know. Sicillian pizza is called sicillian pizza everywhere. Except detroit, where apparently they destroy the crust by literally soaking it in grease and shit so it gets a dreadful texture that is otherwise only achievable by cooking via microwave.

And this fuckwit comes along and declares its better than NYC pizza. LOL. You really cant make this shit up.
>>
Bump.

Thanks for the replies thus far, guys/gals.
>>
>>1106684
That was me. This thread is still here?

I'm from Charleston SC.
>>
>>1107722
st louis style pizza is much better :D
>>
If you are in missouri, either go to kansas city for bbq (Arthur Bryant's and Gates being the big ones) and boulevard brewery or to st louis for the micro breweries.
>>
>>1108562
You are so ignorant.
>>
>>1107629
Detroit is really really a better style than NY style. Though there are thousands are great pizzas in NYC just because all the food is so good there.
>>
>>1108447
Sicilian pizza isn't Detroit style in Detroit either. I don't know what this guy read.
>>
>>1105953
if you pass through Springfield, IL get the horseshoe and corndogs
>>
>>1107722
>being this mad that people think your street grease cracker is overrated
>>
Didnt see it posted but Cincinnati is know for chili over spaghetti.... I work in one of these chili parlours. The food is shite, but everyone down hear loves it.... so if you find yourself here and you are feeling ballsy you could check it out

Gold star chili(chain I work for), skyline.chili, etc.
>>
Done all 50 states - you have a great idea here. Try to add Alaska and Hawaii too though for something completely different. Fresh elk leg on a beach in Al can be pretty fun too. Though the locals usually prefer Spam.

Crawdads turtles and alligator in the south, phat steaks in the midwest, Mexican food from the west. Great Chinese food in Cleveland or Chicago, just be cool and they won't shoot you. Italian in NY. Key lime pie in Fl. Shit, try some porcupine or mountain lion in Wy if your not a pussy.

Nothing in Norther Cali where I am. Unless you like eating acid, then your set.

Gonna monitor this thread because of similar interests.
>>
>>1105953
If for whatever reason you find yourself north of San Francisco, try Sol Food in San Rafael. Some of the most famous food in the county. It's great puerto rican food.
>>
>>1112357
Chili is the official state dish of Texas.
>>
>>1110682
Caution: the good Arthur Bryant's is the old one in KCMO. The shinny new one in (Lenexa?) doesn't cook as well.

If you're in Lawrence and beer is your thing:
http://www.freestatebrewing.com/brewpub/on-tap/
>>
Fellow tourist to be reporting in, hitting DC, NYC & Buffalo/Niagara later in the year. Any must-eat places in DC? I know NYC is a cornucopia of choice, but the other places have gotta have some good eats...
>>
North jersey:
》Rutts hut for dogs,

》White mana for burgers
>>
>>1105953
If you're within half a day of the Gulf of Mexico, have some fried seafood. It's pretty good. Gets better the closer you are to the water. Louisiana is it's own stop, though, cajun food is not the same as the rest of the Gulf Coast seafood selection.
>>
U should visit chiraq it's mad gheddo
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.