[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visiting Auschwitz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 600x451
Not trying to be edgy at all. I have a strong academic interest in the holocaust and would like to visit auschwitz.

What is transportation like getting there? How much time is needed? Better solo or group? Etc
>>
File: Z12AH.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Z12AH.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
>what is google
>>
>>1105477
I visited auschwitz three weeks back. Although I'd really recommend it, please keep in mind that it is very popular and will be very crowded. In my opinion that really diminished the experience.

In Birkenau we were the only ones apart from a group of orthodox jews, though, as it was the end of the day. Maybe you could try to time your visit towards the end of the day. They only let you in for a certain amount of time (about 3-4 hours) so keep that in mind.
>>
>>1105477
don't ask pesky questions, they don't like that

especially about the 'gas chambers'

you can also tell that a lot of the buildings have been rebuilt or are newer construction than WW2. if you ask them about this they will relent a little but say it was for the purpose of tourist safety
>>
>>1105502

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1105507
it's true though

If you haven't been, go see for yourself

They've added and removed certain features and sometimes they tell you that blatantly or say that they are recreating how they think the structure existed before the nazis 'destroyed it to cover their tracks'

In dachau they added vents to the gas chambers that weren't there originally. When I asked the tour guide why they did that (this was on a placard saying they had been added later) she said it was the only logical way the nazis could have allowed the gas to escape. Also, it made sure that the rooms were not too hot in the summers for the tourists. True story.
>>
>>1105477
Be respectful. Group or solo doesn't matter. Try and avoid too many photographs. Some people may be there to grieve since it's basically an unmarked graveyard so taking pictures of them is pretty disrespectful. Even though it's obviously a tourist "attraction" it shouldn't be treated as one.
>>
How likely is it to run into a group of obnoxious Israeli schoolkids flying the Israeli flag?
>>
I went in winter one year, around Christmas. It was just me and my GF there for the most part when walking around. Cold as fuck, but maybe a better experience anyway.
>>
>>1105516
>Some people may be there to grieve
Jesus fuck. Still?
>>
File: image.png (140 KB, 598x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
140 KB, 598x300
>>1105623
>>1105509

>>>/pol/
>>
Was backpacking through Poland and my friend went there. He was pretty disappointed, he said it felt commercialized.
>>
>>1105884
Yeah i have to agree. The most bizarre thing were the restaurant bill boards as soon as you leave the parking lot. It takes a special kind of people to praise your oven fresh pizza in such a place
>>
>>1105614
You should have asked them to turn the heating on

Or maybe not
>>
>>1105901
Was kann I say? I ran out of ze Juden!
>>
>>1105697
Soviets did temper with evidence, dismantled and exported anything of value though.

http://www.jta.org/1990/07/19/archive/west-german-jews-protest-removal-of-auschwitz-plaque

Not even memeing. ;^)
Now go away, cuck.
>>
>>1105477
Take the train
>>
>>1105477

Just take any train from Germany into Poland, they all go straight through Aushwitz for some reason.
>>
>>1105491

>They only let you in for a certain amount of time (about 3-4 hours) so keep that in mind.

So you don;t notice all the holes in the stories they tell, or look too closely at anything.
>>
>>1106454
this

It's really unfortunate since the actual histories of the concentration camps are incredibly interesting and a lesson for humanity in their own right.

Some jackass decided that the real story wasn't good enough and had to embellish on it with lies and deception that won't stand the test of time. Eventually people are going to think the whole thing was a hoax (it wasn't) and the message will be lost in time.

Everyone that supports the revisionist history without any evidence are doing everyone that lived through the WW2 concentration camps a huge disfavor.
>>
>>1106452
kek
>>
>>1105936
Underrated post
>>
>>1106460

The real story wasn't good enough because there was no planned extermination.
>>
>>1106586
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYFpiCo1-g
>>
>>1106586
>>1107594
>the holocaust never happened but it should have

I know you don't really believe it, but come on.
>>
File: 1382082519123.png (131 KB, 574x600) Image search: [Google]
1382082519123.png
131 KB, 574x600
>>1105924
>>
>What is transportation like getting there?

There are buses leaving from the main bus station in Krakow every day, they dont take very long and are quite cheap. There is also a train that stops in the actual town of Oświęcim (aka Auschwitz) and then a bus from there to the concentration camp.

>How much time is needed?

4 Hours should do it, you should be able to see everything you want to in that time.

>Better solo or group?

Just depends on what you like personally, i dont think there would be that much of a difference between them.

>>1105502
>>1105509
>>1105928
>>1106454
>>1106460
>>1106586
>>1107594
>>1107645

Can we keep the politics out of this?

Its a travel board, we dont give a shit about what your personal views on what happened there are, go to >>>/pol/ if you want to discuss that kind of stuff.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.