[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Packing List Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 5435677678.jpg (82 KB, 800x379) Image search: [Google]
5435677678.jpg
82 KB, 800x379
What's your backpacking essentials /trv/?

Both for hiking trips and more leisurely hostel backpacking vacations.

Rule of 3? Tropical & Cold weather climes, you name it.
>>
Pasport and credit cards are the REAL essentiials. All the rest I can buy. I never overpack. Just logic thinking.
>>
do you guys carry one of those string wallets around your neck for passport? I'm going to a place where I need my passport 24/7 for the first time and I have no idea how to carry it.
/noobshit
>>
>>1104793
Absolutely not. Never ever use those.

a) they're useless if you need to get your shit out quickly

b) they're supposed to fool muggers, but literally every mugger in the world knows about them

c) there are way better ways to carry your essentials that you want to protect like a concealable pocket along your thigh under your pants.
>>
>>1104795
I don't care about concealing it for thiefs persay, but just so I don't look retarded.
iI don't know, don't you have to zip your pants down to get to those thigh pockets?
>>
>>1104795
a)you put a tiny bit you need to take out quickly in your actual pockets/wallet

b)they don't 'fool' muggers as make you less of an easy target for pickpockets, which is still useful

c)this is harder to do than just buy a money belt/necklace

Im not saying they're great, but i think they're defendable
>>
Does anybody have a good thigh wallet? Google doesnt give any good results.
I just got this leg wallet instead, realized it's not adjustable enough to go around my thigh. It'll be warm when I go to Europe so I'll most likely be wearing shorts and this wouldn't work: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/undercover-leg-wallet/d/1131
>>
>>1104798
Not unless you're wearing tight ass skinny jeans. I can almost always just turn away from people and reach down my pants and get what I need.
>>
>>1104847
Honestly, just get a small ziplock bag, suck out the air, and only put your passport, big bills, and debit/credit cards in there. It should be pretty slim unless you're carrying an ungodly amount of cash around on you.

It's practically free and does everything a thigh wallet does, but it's even thinner.
>>
>>1104849
>reach down my pants and get what I need.
sorry, I just can't do that. I used to work a ticket window and I would see people do that, and it grossed me out.
>>
>>1104793
I wore a money belt when backpacking through Africa since my bank account closed on me and I was earning cash. Had all my cash and my passport in there and I never had a problem. The only annoying thing was that I slept with it on me the whole time while in hostels. I would take out what I needed for the day and keep that in my pocket and if I ever needed my dollars i would go to the bathroom or take it out before I left the hostel
>>
>>1104671
>your passport
>your luggage
>yourself

Everything else can be purchased when you get there
>>
I need flip flops, hostel showers can be really nasty
>>
>>1104671
as little as humanly possible
>>
>>1105240
You don't do it in front of people you autistic retard. You also don't hold your daily cash in there, that shit does in your pockets like an adult.

If there's an emergency, you still have your cards and big bills with you, but otherwise you don't touch that pocket all day, it's just on you.
>>
File: out.png (4 MB, 1198x2539) Image search: [Google]
out.png
4 MB, 1198x2539
If you'd like more of an /out/ist approach here's my list. Not everything always needed (for hiking/innawoods) but it makes a good collection to choose the important things from for every journey.
>>
>>1104671
Clothes
Torch
Good first aid kit
>>
>>1105372
Probably a stupid question but is there a way to bring knives/ scissors or stuff like that on planes,
>>
>>1104850
I don't get it where would you put that? Plus ziploc bags are pretty prone to opening by themselves in my experience.
>>
>>1105577
shove it waaay up in your butt
>>
>>1105583
Forgot to throw the word 'legally' in there
>>
Leather jacket
Sunglasses
Fingerless gloves
Fanny pack
Plastic sheets
Condoms
>>
>>1105580
>I don't get it where would you put that?
In your ass.
>>
>>1105580
The plastic sticks to the outside of your thigh under boxer briefs. My ziplocks have not once opened by themselves like this, it's hard to even imagine a way that they could when they're constantly being pressed flat.

After a couple days it almost molds to your leg so it's super easy to take out and put back quickly if need be.

It will feel weird at first, but if you do it for a day or two when you go out walking you'll forget it's there.
>>
>>1105783
>The plastic sticks to the outside of your thigh under boxer brief

How? With like a strap around it or something?
>>
>>1105783
>>1105786
Wait no ignore me I understand, just that you wear tighter underwear than me I suppose. Even with tight underwear I'm surprised it doesn't come loose though.
>>
File: Osprey Porter 46.jpg (313 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Osprey Porter 46.jpg
313 KB, 1500x1500
>2 Pairs of Pants
>3 Pairs Of Shorts
>3 T-Shirts
>3 Short Sleeve Shirts/Polos
>2 Long Sleeve Shirts
>1 Bathing Suit
>1 Pajama Pants
>6 Socks - 2 Dark
>6 underwear
>1 Pair of Flip Flops
>1 Pair of Hiking/Athletic Shoes
>1 Microfibre Towel
>Sunglasses
>Toiletries Bag
>Passport and Travel documents/reservations
>Laptop
>Cell Phone
>Charging Cables
>Cash
>>
>>1106228
I was with you until >laptop
>>
>>1104671
That's what I got on me for a 3.5 months RTW trip atm:
>passport
>credit card
>sunglasses
>phone
>charger
>1 shirt
>1 boxer
>swim trunks
>usual tiny cosmetic/washing kit
>medicine & small first aid kit
all in a carry-on
>>
>>1104793
Yes i do but only when i am moving from a town to another. I never take my passport with me when i am visiting a city (same for credit card and extra money). Also, i dont give passport to motorbike rental shop... I just gave them a random card (like student id) and pretend it is real id....
Othersiwe a leave my passport in my bagpack, locked itself and bagpack lock also in a room.
If someone wants to rob me, i just manage to have as less as possible. With my friend we are doing that for 4 months and everything is fine.
>>
>>1105786
It's not even tight, the plastic of the bag naturally sticks when it's warm, which it should be next to your thigh all day. Even then, it's not like it's so full of stuff that the weight would pull it down. You just put some credit cards and passport in there, no keys or coins or lead fishing weights or anything.
>>
Passport, rain jacket, enough pairs of socks and underwear for 5 days

anything else is kind of an extra afterthought (aside from the clothes on my back)
>>
Depending on how long, this is for a week or so:
-Four t-shirts
-Two shirts
-Two pairs of jeans
-Three pairs of shoes (walking shoes, casual sneakers and chelsea boots)
-Seven pairs of underwear
-Seven pairs of socks
-Belt
-Leather jacket or coat (depending on weather)
-One leather belt

Replace two of the t-shirts for jumpers if autumn/winter

-Face wash
-Face scrub
-Moisturiser
-Tooth brush
-Eau de toilette

-Passport
-Wallet
-Sunglasses
-Watch
-Plane tickets
-Book
-Phone
-Charger
-Eearbuds
-Headphones (for plane journey)
-Padlock

Buy upon arrival:
-Bar of soap
-Toothpaste
-Deodorant

Not really what I'd bring backpacking, but in a suitcase when I stay at a hostel/hotel.
>>
>>1105627

I've been flying with my knive in the backpack/freight, it wasn't a problem. I just didn't take it into the cabin.
Gas cartridges though are basically impossible.
>>
I get that you guys want to have that get up and go ability, but do you ever worry about looking like a cartoon character by wearing the same shit every single day? No concerns about stink/hygiene?

I'm a medium EXP /fa/ggot but I literally carried nothing aside from heaps of clothes so I'd always have something clean. Probably like 6 t shirts, 2 long sleeves, 4 jeans, 2 shorts, 3 sweaters/hoodies, 6 underwear, like 12 sock pairs, bar of soap, moisturizer, shampoo, sunscreen, toothbrush, toothpaste, hat. Maybe a towel.

You can say what you like but I was a once or twice a week hook-up guy so, YMMV. I was "backpacking" for about 2 years and my fashion rotated whenever I could afford it.
>>
>>1108206
It really depends.

There are some clothes, like merino wool, that have great anit-odor properties and can dry fairly fast so with two of these you're set (use one while the other one is drying, change and wash the one you were using). And you can find pretty much everything made out of merino wool.

If you, for whatever psychological reason, need to wear a different color of shirt every day in a week, you could just buy clothes in your destination, wear while you're there, and then sell before you leave. It'll cost more but that's the price you pay for the brain you have.
>>
>>1106304

just walking around in your boxers then?
>>
>>1108206

4 pairs of jeans???
>>
>>1108213
>you could just buy clothes in your destination, wear while you're there, and then sell before you leave.

What kind of ridiculous advice is this?
>>
>>1108206
I'm in the same boat. Try to be fresh af and I can't give up jeans. I've been upgrading my gear little by little over the years. So for example, my boots are waterproof and good for clubbing (vivobarefoot Gobi 2) or I can even hike in them

Down to jeans(raw denim) and a tapered cargo pant now. My flannel is great for hiking but looks good casual/works as a sweater. It just takes time
>>
>>1108796
What's ridiculous about it?
>>
Go on hard mode and become a real traveller.
>you
>passport
>clothes you have on you
>some local cash
>>
>>1105583
I've done this a hundred times Morty, mine just falls out
>>
>>1110152
Did this for the weekend in London I had.
Regrets: Should've taken/bought locally a book.
>>
>>1108206
>you ever worry about looking like a cartoon character by wearing the same shit every single day?
lol, who is going to know/care? The only people who will see you for any length of time to notice are hotel staff. Fellow travellers will be in the same boat as you.
>>
>>1106649
Two pairs of jeans for one week?

Otherwise, nice list.
>>
>>1104793

No. Unless I'm in a very hot climate, I'll usually just stick my passport in the inner pocket of my jacket. Otherwise I leave it in my hotel room or a hostel safe. Where are you going? Unless it's Iran or another country where there's a high likelihood of the police stopping you purely to check for documents, I think you could get by with a printed scan of the first page and your visa.

As a few posters said, I try to avoid carrying my passport and credit cards. I'll take out enough cash to last me the day, plus some, and use my state drivers license as an ID for any institutions that might require one. Never had a problem doing this at bars and clubs and the like, no matter where I've been.

>>1104671

It really depends on where I'm going and how long I'm staying.

Normally I keep it simple: two or three pairs of jeans, four or five shirts (short- and long-sleeved), maybe a light jacket, socks, underwear, a cheap camera, and that's it. I never bring my laptop or other pricey electronics, phone aside, on extended vacations, especially if it'll be my first time going there.

When I visit India, where I've lived and have a lot of friends, I usually bring more changes of clothes, formal wear, dress shoes, and such.

I try to fit everything in my 30-35L school backpack if I can. Otherwise I'll take my 35L hiking pack, which can fit more inside given that it has just one chamber.
>>
This feels like a good thread.
I'm going on my first trip ever. About 2 months floating around France. With some stops in Germany and Spain for online friends. This is my list so far
(All clothes include what I wear)
>4 shirts
>4 pants (3 sweats and some nice jeans)
>7 pairs of socks
>7 boxers
>3 shoes (two for training 'I do parkour' one casual)
>hat
>Sunglasses
>Sleeping bag
>tarp
>rope (That fancy paracord stuff)
>frying pan
>toiletries
>Basic first aid shit
> Pens and Notebook
>Poncho

And I was looking at the Osprey Fairport 55 or the slightly bigger one.
Seem like a good start? I was going to Couch surf where possible and camp outside where I could. First 3 weeks lodgings are taken care of already and I should have a little more than 2000usd upon leaving.
>>
File: 1458644357824.jpg (747 KB, 2204x3920) Image search: [Google]
1458644357824.jpg
747 KB, 2204x3920
Russia will win. Again. Aaaaaaaaagain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqE-FXzx3Lo
>>
File: musto-mens-travel-bag[1].jpg (72 KB, 860x521) Image search: [Google]
musto-mens-travel-bag[1].jpg
72 KB, 860x521
backpack vs a smaller version of pic related?

i think the pic can carry more things? and i don't need to buy a large backpack just for traveling

are those Herschel backpacks "played out"?
>>
>>1105577
>Probably a stupid question but is there a way to bring knives/ scissors or stuff like that on planes,
Checked bag or buy from a dollar store or cheap grocery once there. I will sub "fingernail clippers" for some of my scissors needs, which you can pack. Snip a tag from a purchase, for instance. Then, just hoard a wrapped plastic knife from fast food, can slice some cheese or salami with it, enjoy an apple. Not sharp, but will spread some sandwich spread just the same.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.