[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tourist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: media_xll_8585008.jpg (29 KB, 510x446) Image search: [Google]
media_xll_8585008.jpg
29 KB, 510x446
How touristy do you behave /trv ?

Are you sometimes ashamed how loudly and drunk you where being , visiting that temple in Thailand .
>>
>>1104465
You seem to be confused.

'Loud and drunk' is not the tourist stereotype.

The stereotypical tourist dresses in a ridiculous way, does not speak the language, has a map and takes pictures of everything.
>>
>>1104465

>people that come to visit temporarily and spend their money in your country with minimal impact on your sense of culture are less preferable than people who want to stay permanently uninvited with no skills, completely different morality, religion, language, inability to integrate, and unable to contribute anything whilst being a permanent burden to your state and people
>>
>>1104465

I do what I want, within reason. I make an effort to respect local cultures and customs without forfeiting my own. I basically just try to stay true to myself while opening up to foreign experiences. For example, I'm not going to wear a lungi in India to "fit in," as some people do, because I'm used to wearing pants and that's what I like having over my legs. However, I'm not going to do what I saw a lot of folks doing in Thailand, which is blatantly disrespect signs suggesting a certain attire.

In regards to food, dress, and behavior, I do my best to adapt to the standards of the country I'm in while expecting locals to understand that I'm a guest who has his own history, traditions, and expectations as well.
>>
>>1104489

YOU seem to be confused.

'Loud and drunk' is the typical British tourist.

And we're fucking everywhere, so technically it is a common stereotype.
>>
>>1104591
Irish are even worse
fuck them all
>>
>>1104489
Depends on the nationality of the tourist and where they are. Do you hear someone being a loud asshole in Spain? Probably British. In Goa? Russian for sure. Chiang Mai? Chinese guaranteed.
>>
>>1104565
>I'm not going to wear a lungi in India to "fit in," as some people do

I've spent 6 months traveling around India and literally never seen any tourist do this once, what are you on about.

No culture expects you to dress like them, that's silly, especially since most places dress like western people; pants, shoes, belt, short-sleeve shirts in the summer. Some cultures are merely more conservative and wish that people would be move covered up in general.

I can't think of a cultural expectation that I wouldn't be ok obliging. They're all pretty reasonable, even in strict Muslim countries on Ramadan they mostly understand if you don't give a shit about Ramadan and want to smoke and drink and eat throughout the day. Besides, even in Islam travelers are given exceptions on Ramadan.
>>
>>1104722
rude
>>
File: cuck.jpg (330 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
330 KB, 960x960
>>1104500
This. Don't waste your time trying to understand cucks. They have a genetic defect that prevents them producing offspring and aids the destruction of their ethnic group. They will go extinct in due course.
>>
>>1104489
I fit this stereotype pretty well. You could legitimately attack me for a lot of it. But what's wrong with having a map. I don't need to fit in to be respectful.
>>
>>1104736

Well, you spent six months traveling around and I spent several years living there. You see hippies dressed like peasants all the time, especially in backpacker ghettos.
>>
I try to blend in when it's possible. Apparently I've learned to do it well over the years, since almost anywhere where I could look like a local (white guy), locals usually address me in their local language, before I tell them I'm a tourist.

In places like Asia where I'm obviously not a local, I'll just go full tourist mode. At least I'm not loud when drunk, just annoying.
>>
>>1104465
Ia a fucking gentleman wherever I travel mate. I grew up in a touristic city. My contempt for rude travellers knows no bounds.
>>
>>1105050

>since almost anywhere where I could look like a local

>This is what white people actually believe

Feels good being mulatto man. Fit right in everywhere except Asia
>>
>>1105050

>White
>could look like a local almost anywhere

Bro, there are more Indians in India than white people in the entire world.
>>
>>1105061
>>1105064
I think I got misunderstood. I didn't mean "I look local almost anywhere". I meant "places where it's plausible I look like a local". So pretty much anywhere in Europe, for example.
>>
>>1104500
>no skills
>unable to integrate
>nothing to contribute

You don't actually know a single refugee, do you?
>>
>>1104465
>>1104489

Having just returned from living in Thailand for four months, loud and drunk seems to be a common description of White tourists.
>>
>>1105091
Works to the advantage if you're a decent white guy in Thailand.

>you not like other farang, you so nice
>>
>>1104465
Outside of clothing, i dont find myself behaving very much like a tourist. I tend to keep to myself, avoid tourist attractions and traps, avoid much of the tourist nightlife, dress in the countries fashion (usually) when i can afford clothes. I also try to learn at least some of the language and interact with locals as much as possible. And i dont take pictures.

Traveling is so fun, but i always seem to travel with people who just want to go to bars and take pictures for instagram in a different place. Nothing wrong with it just not my cup of tea. And traveling with your family is kind of terrible since they seem to want to distance themselves from the culture as much as possible.
>>
>>1105090
No, but I talk to your wife often and she seems familiar.
>>
>>1105090

This photo is from Palma, Majorca.

The unemployment rate there is already 15% in the summer high season.

The only thing refugees will contribute is raping white girls in bikinis there on vacation, and once that starts then no one will go there anymore on holiday and their entire tourism orientated industry will collapse, leading the faggots that spraypainted this shit to resent their pet rapefugees they preferred so much.

It has already happened in multiple Greek islands - their tourist industry has been destroyed due to the enrichment brought by packs of young rapists roaming around for white pussy calling themselves refugees.
>>
>>1105061
>Feels good being mulatto man.

>niglet
>thinks he fits in anywhere but central africa

ayyyy

Anyway, I stand out almost immediately (am tall, big beard and wear simple, contrasting solid colors and working towards being big guy™) in the world, so might as well embrace it. I look at details of things, go into places where a local wouldn't go out of his way, etc. Take pictures of things I want which may or may not be landmarks, I take pictures with myself in them. I do what I want basically.
>>
>>1105091
" living "
you mean on vacation
>>
File: 1429987671891.jpg (122 KB, 634x638) Image search: [Google]
1429987671891.jpg
122 KB, 634x638
Tourism gives countries huge ass loads of free money.

I don't understand the hate.

Sure, you have to behave and respect the local etiquette, but that should be common practice no matter where you are.
>>
>>1105059
where ya from mate
>>
File: nich7.gif (230 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
nich7.gif
230 KB, 500x281
>>1104465
i fucking hate tourists every summer they come in and drive like 20mph in the country lanes even tho the limit is 60 and theres people all over the fucking place. boom hit winter half the houses are empty and you dont see anyone, fuck second home owners brake their windows and they stay broken for the next 6 months its ridiculous.
>>
>>1104489
Sounds like you haven't travelled much...
>>
>>1104947
Well if I was going from one backpacker ghetto to another for 6 months and didn't see anyone wearing a lungi one time, then I guess it doesn't happen all that often, now does it?

It honestly sounds like you saw it maybe one time and then decided all backpackers must do this.
>>
>>1106481
>>1106481

Read between the lines, familia. The point was in regards to the typical filthy hippie backpacker look - not just guys wearing the lungi. I don't think I saw that too much, either. If anything, I'd say that foreign women are much more likely to wear "local" clothes in India versus men. The number of awful sari colors of seen on white chicks is astounding.
>>
>>1104722
and fuck you right back bro
>>
>>1106481

haven't been to india but i see backpackers dressing over the top in thailand and SEA in general...
>>
>>1106522
Oh yeah, white girls are retarded about that. They think they're being local when they're actually being the world's most obvious tourists.

It's like if an Indian guy was visiting New York and decided to act local and wear a tuxedo everywhere.
>>
I'm really good at going full expat mode right off the bat, I guess. People come up to me and ask me directions, locals talk to me in local languages, etc, even in Asia where I'm obviously not a native.

I grew up travelling a lot, with parents who traveled for work, so I guess I learned how to not be a stereotypical American tourist moron when I'm abroad.
>>
>>1104736
> they mostly understand if you don't give a shit about Ramadan and want to smoke and drink and eat throughout the day.

This, as long as you don't do it in open public when everyone else is fasting. A Moroccan girl made me breakfast and lunch throughout the day during Ramadan when she was fasting
>>
Not much. I do take a lot of pictures, but that's because I'm a photographer, and I try not too act too touristy about it. I do the same thing in my own country anyway.

I also wear shorts down to 10C unless it's raining because I'm from a cold place. Especially if I'm traveling when it's winter back home.
>>
>>1109179
I don't think that means you don't look like a tourist, just that you look approachable. The true test of whether you look like a tourist is whether people try to sell you tourist stuff.
>>
>>1105090
yeah, almost 10% of refugees end up employed!
>>
0/10, they never know until I open my mouth, or am a different colour to the majority.
>>
>>1109947

Not him, but I live in the US. Most of my good friends are refugees. Two of them who came here when they were teenagers both graduated university with honors and have been accepted to medical school. I also know a trio of Yazidi brothers who arrived a couple years back. They've learned a lot of English since coming, and are all incredibly hardworking people.

They saved up for a car within a few months, have their own little apartment, and intentionally sought out physical labor because they wanted to be outside moving and sweating instead of sitting inside.

The more recent Arab arrivals I know are kind of meh, though.
>>
File: muslims are okay, you bigot.png (672 KB, 1448x846) Image search: [Google]
muslims are okay, you bigot.png
672 KB, 1448x846
>>1105090
>>
>>1110408
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.