[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst city you have visited? And why did you not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: Rotterdam-2.jpg (332 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Rotterdam-2.jpg
332 KB, 1800x1200
What is the worst city you have visited?

And why did you not like it?
>>
Berlin for me. Just felt like the city was a total mess (I guess its obvious considering the Division)

Much better cities in Germany.
>>
What's bad about Rotterdam? Just curious.
>>
>>1102861
Pensacola, Florida. Awful place full of hicks and murderers
>>
>>1102861
Naples
>>
Definitely Athens.

It was the second city I visited on my first-ever trip. I'd touched down in Istanbul and had an absolutely amazing time there. My expectations for Athens were high, as I was still on a travel high and thought the Greek capital would be a beautiful and historically rich city.

I think anyone who's been to Athens can see why I might have been let down. While it isn't an abjectly awful place, it fell so short of my expectations that it's one of the few major cities I've no desire to return and see again.
>>
Sao Paulo

What a fucking mess that place is.
>>
>>1102861
Miami (Beach). A hot humid horrible shithole, that I was thinking would be nice. And the airport sucks.
>>
>>1102923
>CCTV everywhere

Why would that effect you in any way ? Most of them are probably broke
>>
>>1102861
Paris. I was only there for a single night, but glad it wasn't longer.
Beautiful buildings. Interesting history - except you don't get to enjoy any of it.
Tourists everywhere.
Tourist-scammers everywhere.
All the sights were crowded.
Criminallity was literally visible.
Never felt safe.
The only Frenchmen who speak english are the tourist-scammers. But enly enough to scam you.
Not that I got scammed tho. Just annoying as fuck because the recognize tourists and approach you with their made in china trash souvenirs.
Fuck, I even carried my backpack on my belly most of the time there.
I may just have been unlucky, but 1/10. Overrated as fuck.
>>
>>1102934
>if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about
>>
>>1102925
It's a hideously ugly place, but it has character.
>>
File: Paris-Muslims.jpg (139 KB, 730x437) Image search: [Google]
Paris-Muslims.jpg
139 KB, 730x437
>>1102944
This is the winning answer for every thread about travel disappointments. Immigration has completely destroyed Paris. My only question is: why? What was it all for? Paris didn't need to import foreign labor (the nignogs and Muslims don't work anyway).

I agree that the architecture is beautiful but, like you said, the city is such a cesspool that it's impossible to enjoy it.
>>
>>1102955
In Odessa at the moment. My local mate here thinks that everywhere in Europe Muslims take to the streets everyday abd do this
>>
>>1102955
Yup. I wish it was like Amelie, but it's more like La Haine.
>>
Oh boy...these threads always get deleted as soon as you mention immigration and Muslims negatively affecting tourism. One of the mods must be an Arab or African. It's like Paris being a third world shithole is some big secret we're not supposed to talk about.

I backpacked across Europe last Summer, from Krakow, Poland to Dublin, Ireland and I had a blast. But the one city where I was on edge was Paris. The amount of petty crime in open daylight was staggering. Gypsies trying to distract you with petitions outside the Louvre while they pickpocket you...drunken blacks on the metro harassing tourists for change...I even saw a young kid (looked Arab) snatch a woman's handbag on Rue Gabrielle. You can't let your guard down and relax for one second. Now I tell everyone not to waste their time with Paris.
>>
Probably Quito
>>
>>1102963
This.
I was in the center of Paris my whole one-day stay ( >>1102944 ) and didn't feel safe either.

Feeling unsafe ruins any place imo.
>>
>>1102956
They do in Burnley, near where I live. They just block the traffic. Crazy!
>>
>>1102931
why would you go there
>>
>>1102973
I fell for the memes.
>>
File: 1426227432467.png (10 KB, 294x449) Image search: [Google]
1426227432467.png
10 KB, 294x449
Milan was very disappointing. Italy as a whole actually but Milan specifically.
>>
>>1102966
>>1102963
>>1102955
The guys at Sacre Coeur should be reason for national embarassment. I can understand being pro-immigration but I can't understand how frenchies just let them do whatever they want
>>
>>1102944
I fucking live there and I completely understand why you hated it. Paris is a mess, people aren't sociable, every "tourist thing" is a scam, it costs a ridiculous amount of money to visit the city, this place sucks. You should visit other places in France like Toulouse, Nantes, Saint Jean de Luz or les Pyrénées, les Alpes or even the Baie de Somme. Everything out of Paris and the north are beautiful places
>>
>>1102944
I live there, still my among my favorite cities but only if you avoid tourist traps, shitty so-called "diverse" areas and if you have enough money to spend. I guess it's ok if you're local. Sorry to hear that pal.

As for me, the shittiest town I've ever visited was probably Qingdao in China. Most overrated city ever, there's nothing to see, nothing to do, the beach is shit, no good restaurant, everything was utter shit. The only good thing was the weather, felt great in September. It's not a poor shithole, quite the contrary, but it's so fucking boring.
>>
>>1102953
If your a tourist why would you give a fuck though? You don't want to be seen taking a selfie or some shit?

I mean its not like you go to Buckingham palace and a giant CCTV camera is blocking your view of it
>>
>>1102955
Most of them are from French former colonies, just like why Britain has so many Indians and HK Chinese.

>>1102963
>Gypsies trying to distract you with petitions

I knew it! They came up to me and I just ignored them because I thought it would be some kind of scam, but I felt a little bad after because I worried maybe they were just some young students who I had acted like an autist too
>>
I think most US cities that aren't on the coasts. St Louis, Memphis , Kansas City etc all come to mind.

They are just so empty. I remember driving into Kansas City and thinking "wow this place looks really amazing" a few hours later I had seen everything and was already on route to St Louis, which felt like more of the same.

They are just so hollow
>>
>>1102944
Paris is SO SHITTY and SO DISAPPOINTING that Japanese people are known to have mental breakdowns upon visiting it for their vacations. Parisian doctors named the phenomenon "Paris Syndrome".

Basically Japanese people don't take almost any vacation days per year, they usually save their money for years and years and then take 2 weeks off somewhere. Paris is a popular choice for them because they're imagining the Disneyland version of the place in their heads. They're imagining fresh baked bread, music in the warm evening air, romantic people reciting poetry on the streets, berets, the whole 9 yards.

When they get there they find themselves in a restaurant where an Algerian waiter is rude to them and just the concept of a service industry person being rude to a customer blows their minds, let alone all the constant pestering and confrontation from scammers, feeling totally unsafe as compared to Japan everywhere they went, feeling like they're kids who arrived at Disneyland only to find out it burned down and is now inhabited by child molesters.

Basically, Paris is so shitty that people literally need to be hospitalized from the disappointment.
>>
Baltimore. Reason it's called murdermore. There's one single nice area near the aquarium, and everything else is traffic and niggers. Meaning you can see the only decent part of the city in a few hours, and god save you if you're out past dark. Not only that, but for a 50 mile radius around murdermore it's a hellish traffic nightmare of constant bumper-to-bumper jams. I took TWO trips that routed me near that shithole, and both times the traffic was beyond belief. It's like it's such a bad city it poisons everything around it to a hellscape.

Atlantic City, NJ is shit. Stay away. Go to Cape May or Ocean City. AC is like Camden but with a beach.

>>1103014

If you can write in any more detail I'd be interested. Any other US cities you have experience with?

>>1103031

It's not disappointment, anon, it's Diversity. Don't be a racist, now, Nigel.
>>
>>1102944
>spends less than 24 hours in a place
>visits one of the most touristy sites on earth
>considers himself an expert on the entire city and its region

I'm not a Parisboo, but it's really not as bad as people make out. Here's a tip: avoid the tourist traps. It's a whole other world. I spent three weeks there (after long avoiding it, and only planning to spend a few days -- ended up spending that entire vacation period there). The gypsy scams are obvious a mile off, the nigs and pakis selling trinkets will move on if you just shrug and ignore them. I speak shitty rusty French, but it was enough to earn smiles and plenty of responses in English. I didn't even try and got into conversations with three French qt3.14s on the street or at parks, and a few other people too -- an Argentine couple, a few Germans (I also speak rusty German) and some Japs I kept bumping into. That's not even half of the experiences I had there. All in all, I felt it was a lively open city.

One thing that IS true, however, is that the Arab are shit stains and best avoided.
>>
>>1103014
A big sprawling metropolis is not the mark of a cool city imo. Im a Kansas City native and I love it here. Its one of those things where you have to stay here to understand its charm. A lot of people leave Kansas City to live in other places but lots of them eventually return here at some point. Big cities are great to visit or pass through but KC is where you would start a family. Its big enough where you can find stuff to do but also small enough to where it never feels crowded and its easy to talk to and meet people. Really underrated city thats always on the ups.

Ive also been to Austin and San Antonio which are great places to live as well. Shittiest city ive probably ever been to was New Orleans and the absolute best city in the world is Colorado Springs, CO. Im probably gonna retire there and smoke weed everyday.
>>
>>1102861
easily toronto

it's just dorky.....i don't know how else to explain it
>>
Havana, Cuba

In the last few years I see it listed as a "must see" city and top destination and a "world" city. Fuck that, the people there are the worst I've met in Cuba. The city was actually in worse shape than other smaller cities I visited. And for the most part there's not that much to see or do there unless you want to pay $80 entry fees for some dance shows.

There are some positives, it's pretty much the only city with good restaurants and there are more sights there because it's a big city but it seems like it's one of those places where as a tourist you'll never get to experience the most of it because they all see you as a walking $ sign.
>>
>>1103014
I remember thinking the same about Atlanta. CNN, coca-cola, an aquarium, some hipster neighbourhoods that are totally plastic run-of-the-mill, and a whole lot of meth'd out nigs. Whoopty friggin' do? It feels like one giant suburban sprawl. Only thing that was half-decent were a couple BBQ and 'southern soul food' or whatever places, but even at that I had better elsewhere.
>>
File: jacques.jpg (36 KB, 398x499) Image search: [Google]
jacques.jpg
36 KB, 398x499
>>1102944
It's staggering that Paris has such a number of cops and soldiers present, however they do not bother cracking down on scammers and harassers.

In fact the cops even "harassed" me.
>>
>>1103042
>If you can write in any more detail I'd be interested. Any other US cities you have experience with?

Not that guy but I think I know the point he's trying to make. When Europeans see a cluster of skyscrapers in an American city, they imagine a hive of activity on the streets below, like in Manhattan. This is not the case in most regional American cities. The skyscrapers are usually office blocks that are devoid of life after 6pm and at weekends. For example, Phoenix, AZ is the 6th most populous city in America but the downtown core is dead. The streets are literally empty after office hours.

Tl;dr - Europeans live in cities. Americans live in suburbs. Euros surprised by lack of life in American cities
>>
File: viva la france.jpg (52 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
viva la france.jpg
52 KB, 565x600
>>1102944
This is the answer.

That said, once I got out of Paris, I really had a nice time in France.

So pic not related, I guess.
>>
File: rage.jpg (6 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
6 KB, 120x120
>>1103053
>Here's a tip: avoid the tourist traps

I fucking HATE when RealTraveler faggots say this. Do you really expect someone to visit Paris and not see the Eiffel Tower or Louvre?
>>
>>1102932
When were you there? I'd agree the airport USED to suck, but I think it has gotten much better.
>>
>>1103062
Why would they?

It's not like tourists will stop coming to Paris.
>>
>>1102963
>Oh boy...these threads always get deleted as soon as you mention immigration and Muslims negatively affecting tourism. One of the mods must be an Arab or African.

No, I think it's that there is this rule against racist shit, and when you get these threads, people pretty soon start thinking this is /pol/ and posting racist memes instead of taking about travel issues. It is possible to do the latter without doing the former.
>>
>>1103064

Are all American cities like that? There tends to be multiple neighborhoods that make up the city and each area has its own downtown, rather than one downtown for the whole shebang. Is that what you mean? I have experienced that a lot.

Other than NYC, are there any city-cities in the US? Even otherwise, aren't the cities still liveable if you go to a neighborhood center?
>>
>>1103067
To be honest, those places don't interest me in the slightest. They're just buildings. I always have a better time when I don't do the most touristy things a city has to offer. After a while, seeing one famous sight is not really different from seeing another or another, it all blends together. None of my best travel experiences took place around the things people go to those countries to see.
>>
File: quito statue.jpg (32 KB, 716x606) Image search: [Google]
quito statue.jpg
32 KB, 716x606
>>1102964
Really? I liked Quito, except for the little buses that ran all night making car alarm sounds to attract customers.

What did you not like?
>>
>>1103074
>They're just buildings.
>The fucking Louvre

Dude...

Otherwise, I generally agree with your point, but if you think people go to the Louvre to see the building, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1103072
Wtf are you talking about? Do you notice a common theme in all the answers in this thread: muslims and blacks. They turn every neighborhood they live in into a trashy, crime-ridden ghetto. Is it racist to state facts now?
>>
>>1103073
American cities tend to be dense in the center where nobody actually lives except homeless and very poor people and everyone else lives in the suburbs 30 minutes to an hour outside the city. Some people drive more than 2 hours to and from work in the city.

It's a product of American auto companies buying up and destroying light rail contracts in favor of forcing America to be a "car society" and the creation of nation-wide highways to move weapons during the Cold War. For a good many decades it was cheaper, healthier, and more convenient to leave the city and live in a nice house outside it, which is what most Americans did. Only in the last 20 years has interest in city-living started to grow again.

There are exceptions, of course. San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, LA (sort of, the whole city is sprawl so it's hard to say what really counts as "city living"), Portland, etc.
>>
>>1103073
NYC is not a typical American city. Not even close. Americans don't like living in city center apartments. Everyone wants a nice house in the suburbs with a back yard and white-picket fence.

When you look at city populations on wikipedia you'll notice two numbers: the small city population and the much larger metro area population. I always laugh when I see a clueless European tourist walking around downtown Los Angeles. There's nothing there except banks and offices. Go and visit Hollywood or Santa Monica.
>>
>>1103076
If you're not that interested in classical art then it's just a building.

I don't care if the art inside is famous. If I'm not spending my days going to art museums in my own city, why would I make a big deal out of going to one in Paris? Just to see something because it's famous? Does anyone actually seriously give a shit about seeing the Mona Lisa? Some do, of course, but I'd bet most people who pack themselves in there are just doing it because they feel like they should because they're in Paris. If that painting wasn't famous they wouldn't look at it twice.

I only do what I am genuinely interested in while traveling and I hate doing something just because it's what everyone is supposed to do even if you don't enjoy that thing.
>>
>>1103077
Might depend on the language you use. From a mod's point of view, anyway.
>>
>>1103084
All that makes sense; if you have no interest in something you'd be silly to waste time looking at it.

My point was just that there is a difference between "going to look at a building," like the Eiffel Tower, say, and going to one of the premiers art museums in the world. The latter is something more than just a tourist trap, however many tourists go there.
>>
>>1103084
I kinda of agree with you dude. Sometimes it feels like tourists are simply ticking off boxes on their checklist when they visit famous landmarks. When I was in Rome, I remember seeing a tour bus of Chinese tourists who would get off at one site, take a few selfies, then get back onto the bus to be ferried to the next site. They has no interest in actually savoring the site or learning about it. Once they got a photo that they could post on Facebook they were happy.
>>
>>1103092
>a tour bus of Chinese tourists

What is with these? I went to a hiking area near me and the mountain was swarming with chinese. I thought I was in Shanghai. And they were sure as hell not dressed for hiking.
>>
>>1103064

There is some serious truth to this, but it's starting to change. More and more cities are investing in their downtown areas to be a hub of culture and nightlife for 20-30 somethings, but it'll take time. Source: lived in 5 major US cities, visited about 5x as many.
>>
>>1102861

Managua.
Or maybe Masaya.
Or maybe Matagalpa.
Might have been Jinotega.
Or maybe the tourist-laden shithole known as Granada.

Actually, maybe I just hated all of Nicaragua that wasn't hiking and wilderness.
>>
>>1103092
They grab a photo which is exactly the same as every other photo that's ever been taken there by someone visiting and that they will likely only look at once again when they are showing it to a friend or family member that is politely sitting through their slideshow, but also actually doesn't care about what they're seeing.

It's a grand carnival of people wasting theirs and each others time and money because they're doing what they're "supposed to" rather than figuring out what they actually want to do.
>>
>>1103093
Rising Chinese middle class and Chinese travel agencies that sell tour packages to capitalize on this new era of wealth in China.

Also Mao had all the educated ones killed so all the Chinese people today have the manners of uneducated farm laborers because they were the only ones that survived the Cultural Revolution.
>>
>>1102977
how?
>>
I'm from Canada and there are a lot of fuckawful cities here. I'd have to say Gatineau QC takes the cake. Makes Ottawa look like a bustling utopian metropolis and that's saying something.

As for 'abroad', probably Myrtle Beach. Stupid fat people (many of them Canadians), malls, tacky tourist shit, parking lots, golf courses.

Charlotte's Uptown was clean and had some really stunning postmodernist architecture, but there is fuck all to do there unless you like Nascar and mediocre modern art museums. The rest of the city is just a colossal suburban sprawl.
>>
>>1102903
Nice that's where I was born

Anyway, Houston. Pls nuke
>>
>>1103031
thanks pal, we on /trv/ have never heard of Paris Syndrome ever before.

Anyway, it's mostly urban legend, and what substance there is has more to do with language barriers than anything else. Japs don't speak French and are so uptight, that Hiro's first trip outside Nihon makes Paris/French people (as 'moody' and informal as they are) freak the fuck out of 'em.
>>
I hate buffalo and Houston in North Americo

Brazzilia in South America is lol tier

Unimpressed by most German cities and I thought Munich was a waste of time and money.

Dubai is god awful

Didn't like Shanghai, Soeul, Manilla in Asia

Canberra sucks and I had this stupid romantic notion that Casablanca and tangiers would be exotic and exciting but nope.
>>
>>1103125
Jerusalem syndrome however is real. Met an American women there who definitely had arrived there and lost her mind.

>>1103103
I hope it keeps progressing. I'd like a loft downtown somewhere nice.

Ugliest city was possibly Thessaloniki or Milwaukee? I don't really try to remember the bad places.
>>
>>1103067
>hurr durr U r a REALTRAVLER

Avoid means 'don't spend 99% of your time around tourist traps'. There's more to Paris than the Louvre or Eiffel Tower, retard. Out of 3 weeks there, I did both of those in the first 2 days and don't think I even walked past them again after that. (Actually, I did go to the Eiffel tower again, just to have somewhere to walk with a German girl I met -- we later boned, so no regrets.) You're a fool if you think visiting a place means you have to visit only the big name sites, and it doesn't take a 'RealTraveler' to realize that. And if you don't visit them, so what? It's your life, your journey, your money, do what you want. Don't fucking complain because you blindly followed the donkey trail.
>>
>>1103081
>Implying I didnt set up my Qechua tent in Skid Row to live like a local
I swear people sleeping at the Beverly Hills Hilton because muh Whitney are missing out on living like a true angelino. I felt so amongst my kind that when some Youtube prankster decided to do his monthly clickbait feel good video by distributing sandwiches to my peers, I stole a full crate of them and didn't even share.
>>
>>1103131

What didn't you like about Seoul?
>>
>>1102861
San Antonio, Texas

It was fucking hot. It was ugly. It was crowded. Nobody spoke English, and it's boring.
>>
The cities surrounding Toronto. Toronto (more specifically "Old Toronto") is actually a decent city. It's only when you get into Markham, Mississauga, Brampton, Oshawa etc., all you find is strip malls, plazas, and subdvisions
>>
>>1103042
The best slice of pizza I've ever had was in Baltimore. I can't believe how good it was, wish I could find another place like it.

It was cooked in a brick oven and they had about a million toppings and ice cold craft sodas you could buy. This was at some cozy bar by the water. Streets outside were cobblestone, not too far from the stadium where I saw an Orioles game.
>>
>>1103131
Manilla may be one of the worst cities in the world. Worst in the Philippines at least, it's a complete and utter shit hole.
>>
>>1103158
Those aren't cities mate
>>
>>1103163
>they have their own municipal government and are at least several hundred thousand people each

what doesn't make them cities?
>>
>>1103055
>the absolute best city in the world is Colorado Springs, CO

What the fuck? I live there, I don't see how someone can say this.
>>
Buenos Aires is a really shitty city, Argentinians are awesome tho
>>
Athens.

The Aegean and Salonica more than make up for it though.
>>
>>1103084
I generally agree with you, but in a place like that, I'd recommend at least trying a thing or two that you wouldn't normally expect liking. I saw the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, and it totally changed the way I saw art (specifically, Impressionist art). It opened up a whole new world to me that wouldn't have opened otherwise. Anyways, happy travels.
>>
>>1102861
Shanghai.
Dirty, crowded, disgusting and uncouth people.
>>
>>1102963
Mainly, most of the so-called racism is just people merely sad that the old 1960s Europe is dead forever, it doesn't have any maliciousness behind it just that a beautiful place has been desecrated in the name of money and is probably lost to history. No longer is Paris or probably even London and Berlin fun and enjoyable travel places and we are mourning this.
>>
>>1103165
Mike Harris
>>
>>1103119

Live in Gatineau, can confirm that its a shithole compared to Ottawa, which is also a shithole.
>>
Delhi. It can be decent if you're super rich, but it's still polluted and crowded as fuck.
>>
Baltimore, Maryland -- The only time I felt safe was inside Camden Yards (a baseball stadium). Other than that, I was afraid everyone would rob/murder me.
>>
>>1103222
Delhi sucks ass for first time visitors because all the main tourist attractions and tourist areas are dity, noisey, crowded, aggressive, and just overall fucking awful, but if you get to know the city and figure out where the good stuff is then it's actually kind of nice or at least not the worst.

Hauz Khaz Village and Humayum's Tomb are pretty nice places in Delhi to get away from the things you don't like about Delhi.
>>
>>1103245
>all the main tourist attractions and tourist areas are dity, noisey, crowded, aggressive, and just overall fucking awful,
>>1103245
>all the main tourist attractions and tourist areas
I think you meant to say "All of India is..."
>>
>>1103160
as somebody who lives here, i definitely agree.
>>
>>1102925

I somewhat second this.

I went two times, once in early 2008 before crisis and last time was three years ago.

It felt like a giant gap backward, while it was truly an European country the first time, the second time I saw more closed stores than opened ones, many depressed/drugged/homeless people in the street, errand dogs (on the fucking Acropolis), no cops but private security instead, minimum public services...

On the other hand, Athens has Eksarhia, a district where there are a lot of interesting social experiences,

That said I can't tell which city is the worst I visited, maybe Skopje or Sanaa.
>>
>>1103246
Not at all. Most of India is fucking awesome. Like I said, most tourists have no idea about that though because they just go to the famous spots in the tour guide and in every place they see the same things; shouting, garbage, scam artists, beggars, and hustlers. Those shitty people are only there because the tourists are there.

India is an absolute dream playground to travelers who step outside the heavily trafficked golden triangle of Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. There's more variety of cultures, landscapes, food, and activities in that country than anywhere else I've seen in the world.

It's all there. I've been 3 times and I'm trying to resist going a 4th time.
>>
>>1103158
You don't know what you're talking about. 'Old Toronto' refers to the downtown portion, minus some parts (i.e. the Annex) that were later added to the 'borough' of Toronto (when it existed). The other boroughs were North York, Etobicoke, York, East York and Scarborough. Some parts are more suburban, some more thoroughly urban. Some parts are shit, some are very nice with the most expensive property in the city.

"Markham, Mississauga, Brampton, Oshawa etc" are not and never were part of Toronto. They used to be small farm towns, now they're proper suburbs. Rather soulless yea, full of cheap cookie-cutter 'mansions' that will fall apart in 50 years, but Markham and Mississauga do have little hives of activity.

Toronto is hardly the only place in North America where strip malls exist. And so what? It's where people live and shop, a lot of the shops are independent, not full of franchies like in the US, for example. A lot of those are hidden gems for food. Absolutely the best Chinese or other Asian foods in the 416 for example exist there, not downtown.
>>
>>1103213
>No longer is Paris or probably even London and Berlin fun and enjoyable travel places and we are mourning this.
Oh shut the fuck up, basement dweller.

>>1103220
>every city in Canada is a shithole
fixed that for you.
>>
>>1103265
This.

Something that people who haven't been to India or only did a 10-day tourist circuit don't get. Step of the beaten path, and it's quite different. Yes, the crowds, poverty, dirt and noise are part of India (in some places more than others), but the things that make India wonderful are all despite that. If you don't understand that, it's because you obviously haven't experienced it.
>hurr durr u r REAL TRAVELER
>>
Memphis, TN. It's just a shithole with a half block of bars.
>>
>>1103272
Not Montreal, its what Paris used to be.
>>
>>1103074
>the Louvre is just a building
Found the pleb
>>
>>1102861
Domestically: Denver was pretty run down
Internationally: Dubai had no culture
>>
>>1103131
Arrived in Canberra for a conference - on Sunday at 2pm, there wasn't anyone in the city centre. All the shops were empty or shut, only a few homeless people wandering around. No cars, no buses. It was downright eerie. It's the deadest city I've ever been too.

Unless you're a hardcore museum buff (which I might admit to being) there's no reason to ever go there. There isn't much to Australian cities, but for Canberra even that's lacking.
>>
>>1103282
>Convince my friend that a cheap motel near Elvis Presleys house will be safe because I figure he would probably have lived in some rich neighbourhood
>Turns out its one of the most dangerous areas in the United States and full of scary black people

Elvis let me down that day.
>>
>>1103131
>Dubai, Brasilia, Manila, Canberra

What would make you go to these cities? Work?
>>
>>1102861
>>1102861

>Manila City

I hated that fucking shit hole and I'm part Filipino and grew up in the Philippines (in the province) before moving back to the US.

You can just feel the god damn oppression and it seems like people there want to take advantage of you on every turn.

The cities and general area in the provinces are so much better, even the people are warmer.

>>1102931

>Hue Land
>>
>>1103092
>a tour bus of Chinese tourists who would get off at one site, take a few selfies, then get back onto the bus to be ferried to the next site

Fuck man. I feel so bad reading that. I love to take my time when visiting sites like that. I'd probably spend half a day staring and walking around ancient ruins/site.
>>
Any Qatari/Emirati city. I've had 24h layovers or more in Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and I was depressed by the soulless opulence. They're not even trying to make beautiful things with their enormous oil reserves. They just want the most expensive, ostentatious shit money can buy. I'm having an 8h layover in Manama in a month or two and I don't even think I'm going to leave the airport.
>>
>>1103242
Christ,just stay off Pennsylvania Avenue and any neighborhood northwest of downtown. Go to Mt. Vernon and Otterbein.
>>
File: elvis.jpg (53 KB, 500x642) Image search: [Google]
elvis.jpg
53 KB, 500x642
>>1103336

"You gonna finish them fries, man?"
>>
>>1103363
>not wanting three gold plated sports cars for your friends to nig around town in
>>
>>1103363
My parents loves Dubai, they go at least once a year.

I think its alright actually, I kind of like the ridiculousness of it
>>
>>1103135
The Louvre is no fucking tourist trap. Yeah avoid the cafés around but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>1102944
I don't know what's wrong with you and the rest of the fucking spastics, but I have many excellent memories of Paris.

Were you expecting a charming French maid to guide you around the city? Because that's what you sound like.
>>
>>1103014
This, Kansas Shitty is awful. A big, hollow, plastic sprawl
>>
>>1103013
>Most of them are from French former colonies
PFHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHA

YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS HAHAHA
>>
>>1103420
What? I don't know if you know this but France had a pretty big empire.

Where else are they coming from if not former French colonies? The only one I can think of is that there is quite a few Nigerians about
>>
>>1103421
ugh, just ignore this kind of stuff. /pol/ has been overflowing more often lately because of all the high energy Trump memes.
>>
Bilbao. Went in 2005, it was just really ugly and had a kind of rough feel to it but not in an interesting way, just in a shitty way. The guggenhiem was shit too, this huge building but hardly any artworks in it. Maybe it was a shitty exhibition at the time I went, but was such a letdown. I remember there being not many places to eat and the one I did eat at was very shitty compared to everywhere else I had eaten in Spain.

>>1102944

Yeah, I went for the first time in the late 90s or early 2000s with my family on the eurostar. I think it was because we had to be awake at 6am or something awful to be able to catch the train in time to spend the day there, but it was so early and cold and I was feeling so sick. Once we got into Paris, it was very heavy traffic everywhere, loads of hustlers around, I remember their underground stank of BO, and all the shops were shut too despite it being a weekday. I would like to go again because I think we didnt allow enough time to see things properly and stuff.
>>
File: TheLouvre.jpg (437 KB, 960x421) Image search: [Google]
TheLouvre.jpg
437 KB, 960x421
>>1103406
But it is, though...

Notice how these people are such great art admirers that they don't give a shit about anything else they're surrounded by and just want the picture of the Mona Lisa on their shitty ass camera so they can tell people they saw it?

Tourist. Trap.

Is there a legit reason to go there if you actually enjoy art? Of course. It's one of the rare cases where a tourist trap is built around something with substance, but still operates exactly the same as a tourist trap and attracts exactly the same garbage people.
>>
>>1103427
>Bilbao

u wot m8?

you uncultured faggot
>>
File: french_frog.jpg w=1180.jpg (33 KB, 400x341) Image search: [Google]
french_frog.jpg w=1180.jpg
33 KB, 400x341
>>1103408
Didn't expect that, no. It was actually just a one day stop while waiting on our next flight before reaching final destination. Goal: See all the famous buildings in our short stay. Result: "Le Paris Syndrome"
I'm not saying that you can't have fun and actually experience some interesting culture (Easy to fulfil criteria, imho). But the impression I got was that probably-true-what-they-say-was-once-a-nice-place-Paris is now a overrated tourist- and immigrant-ruined shithole, which is only backed up from what I hear others saying.
>>
>>1103428

the gallery should be ashamed of itself, all those fucking paintings crammed in on the wall. Paintings are best when theres a reasonable amount of wall space surrounding it, so the painting can "breathe" . Having the pictures all crammed like that is very distracting and really takes away the impact of each painting.
>>
>>1103428
I genuinely do not understand people who take photos of Paintings.
>>
>>1103057
I'm sorry if thid question offends anyone but what's the status of the prostitution market in Havanna? Perhaps young beautiful ladies can be had for cheap?
>>
>>1103288
Montreal is absolutely a shithole. It's just a semi-French-speaking Cleveland.
>>
>>1103402
Your parents are plebs. You know what that makes you?

>>1103406
I liked a few rooms in the Louvre, but overall wasn't blown away. There are better more interesting galleries in Paris, and in Europe.

Regardless, I don't advocate skipping the Louvre (unless you really hate art). My point was rather that if you go ONLY to places where tourist crowds assemble, it's pretty retarded to claim that there are tourist crowds ruining everything there. Paris is a big thriving city, there's still plenty to do off the main constellation of tourist sites.
>>
>>1103431
You're plainly wrong and should just shut up.
>>
>>1103438
Officially illegal, but rampant. Any hotel will offer to bring ladies to your room, as most hotel staff are part-time pimps. Young and beautiful ladies, yes. Rubber up.

Jinateras are also an option. Also illegal and occasionally cracked down on, but pretty common. They give you GFE (fairly genuine), you buy them dinner, new shoes, clothes or books for their kid, etc. Sorta like Thai whore-girlfriends but short term.

If you speak Spanish, it's very easy to get a girlfriend or one night stand. You have to some game or looks though. Some potbellied schlepp sweating his red face off in white running shoes and khakis who can't dance is not going to do to well.
>>
>>1103182
Where should I go if I want to visit Argentina, then?
>>
>>1103532
Bariloche
>>
>>1102932
Dude Miami was the most fun city I've ever been to in my life. Would live there if I could. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.
>>
>>1103131
Munich is one of my favourite cities! How could you possibly hate Munich? Explain!
>>
With threads like this, there's always one person who hates a city and another who has nothing but good things to say about it. I think you will find nuggets in every place you go and a lot of it is a matter of perspective and not falling into a certain type of hype before getting somewhere.
>>
>>1103422
I don't see how it's even political. The debate is more or less settled at this point, the vast majority of us (Europeans) think mass immigration over the past few decades has been largely terrible.

I'm astonished there are people who still support the status quo. After everything that has happened. There's just no way you can defend it anymore. We have suburbs full of people who actively defend wanted terrorists, who have no jobs, who spend their days committing petty crimes and harassing girls. Debate over.
>>
>>1103532
El Chalten and anywhere part of the Huella Andina trail.
>>
Bangkok, Thailand
So chaotic and overrated. I as surprised how dirty it was

Cebu, Philippines
Again a surprise
So depressing, constant naked children runing around eating some kind of dirt on the side of the road.
I dont feel safe either it also full of slums and people stare at you it was such a mess kind of felt traumatized by it
>>
File: 200_s.gif (35 KB, 218x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
35 KB, 218x200
>>1103563

Thank you. The only people happy with the hordes of unskilled and uneducated brown people flooding Europe are other brown people. Hence my suspicion that the /trv/ mods are Arabs or nogs. These immigrants lower the quality of life for everyone and turn their European neighborhoods into a dump like the place they came from. They are like locusts who leave nothing but waste in their wake.
>>
>>1102925
Ugliest fucking graffiti I have ever seen, ruins the city, plus the nigerian scamming bracelet niggers.
>>
>>1103592
Truth, people who think Paris is an enjoyable city, head to Bratislava or Ljubliana, realise gypsies and blacks destroy cities and societies.
>>
>>1103552
Kitschy in the extreme, full of horrible Italian goblins, and a lot dirtier and plebbier than you'd expect. Munich isn't terrible, but it ain't all that.
>>
>>1103563
>We have suburbs full of people who actively defend wanted terrorists, who have no jobs, who spend their days committing petty crimes and harassing girls.
And you 100% created those. That's the delicious irony.
>>
Adelaide. Just another city with a beach. Dull as fuck.

Currently in Dnepropetrovsk and it's more intesting than Adelaide.
>>
>>1103648
Oh and probably Puno, that place sucked but Atleasy it had the lake
>>
>>1103640
I've voted for "far right" parties my entire life. So no. I personally didn't. If it were up to me our countries would have immigration and naturalisation laws just like those of Japan.

Unless you're Implying Maghrebis and Pakis were wonderful noble brown people until white racism corrupted them in which case top lel.
>>
>>1103596
I don't know these cities, but do you mean them as examples of ruined or non-ruined cities compared to paris?
Explain.
>>
File: 19386.jpg (134 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
19386.jpg
134 KB, 800x800
>>1103451
What so plain?

>>1103596
Looks nice enough
>>
>>1103654
>I've voted for "far right" parties my entire life.
So you're 20 and just recently voted for the first time? Congrats.

It's a chuckle or two seeing you grasp at straws, but I'm referring to 60 years of European policy. They're the reasons for the problems of today.
>>
>>1102861
Philadelphia
>>
>>1103081
Don't visit hollywood, that place is a shithole
>>
>>1103299
>Denver
What
>>
>>1103759
I'm approaching thirty.

And the liberalisation of immigration laws in France occurred in the 1970s (family reunification etc) before that immigrants actually had the same rates of welfare dependency and employment as native French.

If you're moaning about "neo colonialism" or whatever, give it a rest. Islamism arose in the Arab revolt 100 years ago and ideologically well before that. The belief the Turks weren't real Muslims because they weren't strict enough was hugely widespread.
>>
>>1103563
>>1103592
You're right lads, the debate is settled. Every average white person in Europe thinks that immigration levels have been too high. But in some countries (eg Sweden and the UK till very recently), you can't even say that without being labelled a racist by an alliance of status-quo politicians who have been raised by their baby boomer parents on being a hippy or socialist, and all these left wing students etc in the country. I like that in France, Italy and Spain at least everybody just says whats on their mind in relation to immigration.

And btw, there are lots of Arab Muslims in France who actually work hard, don't leech off the government, do well for themselves, and are actually happy to be French and live in France (Source: I've met lots of them).

But on the other hand there are a fuck tonne who think that they are owed everything, hard done by, never work, never try to better themselves and can't even speak French properly and they are born and rasied here. They only thing they do all day is walk around town squares in tracksuits smoking ciggarettes and looking at girls they're never gonna get, and cry about how everything is racist.

I don't think people outside of Europe get how bad the situation is. I saw a thread on here not so long ago about a guy stating that he wanted to move to Japan from Europe before WW3 or a Civil War breaks out. All the Americans, Canadians etc were saying that he should stop exaggerating, but you guys have no idea. I'm moving away from Western Europe as soon as possible because I don't want my children to be stuck here when things get even worse.
>>
>>1103265
>>1103275
Nigga India sucks
The people are the only thing that make it slightly redeemable because despite living in squalor 24/7 they still manage to be cool
>>
>>1103821
I don't think YOU realize how bad the situation is elsewhere.
>>
>>1103827
You sounds like someone who's only seen it on TV.
>>
>>1103821
Second this, from the Netherlands
>>
>>1103435

Really, why take photos of any major sites? Unless you are a great photographer, you will find much better images on the internet.
>>
>>1103817
Still grasping at straws. I'm not giving any delinquents a free pass, shitskin or not. But with policies that both actively discouraged foreigners from integrating, and gave natives zero reason to meaningfully interact with the new foreigners, added with passive (and active) racism, it's hardly surprising that ghettos and malcontent formed. It's obvious that policy-makers didn't know what the fuck they were doing, and had the wrong attitude to dealing with immigration even when it was often from their own former colonies (this includes tolerating 'it's ok, be totally different!' multiculturalism). But attempts to genuinely change track are about a decade old. Far too late. Europe got itself in this mess all on its own. Of course, garbage in, garbage out. Nigs and Muslims aren't exactly the pinnacle of human achievement either.

>>1103821
It's not about immigration being too high or low, it's what purpose the immigrants are suppose to have. Supplementing the populace, OK. Replacing the populace, wait a second. The latter kind is purely about maintaining the status quo (industrialized capitalism). The Bilderberg Reptilians et al won't enjoy their social order for more than a couple more generations if replacement fodder aren't found. As they will be living in stateless ivory towers regardless, it doesn't matter who exactly supplies them from where. Just as you or I don't much care if it's wheat or barley (nor whether from Ukraine or Canada or Italy, for that matter) that we eat, they don't care if it's native Europeans or lower middle-class Muslims.
>>
>>1103108
Is Nicaragua that bad? I thought about going to Central America for my first real traveling experience. I figured Nicaragua wouldn't be like Cancun or whatever.
>>
File: 800px-EmpirePlaza17.jpg (132 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
800px-EmpirePlaza17.jpg
132 KB, 800x524
>>1103131
I'd be interested in Brasilia because alot of the architecture resembles the ridiculous looking Empire State Plaza in my hometown.
>>
File: P1140905.jpg (6 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
P1140905.jpg
6 MB, 4608x3456
>>1103851
I do it because like capturing images of what I saw, as I saw it. I enjoy trying to take decent pictures, trying to capture my moments, and I enjoy looking at them and recalling the experience later.

Sure, I could just Google up a picture of many sites later -- but it would not be a pictures of what I saw, it would be a picture of what somebody else saw.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
>>
>>1103916

It depends on what you're looking for. I did have some great experiences. Best were while hiking the hills and forests - the places that aren't overrun with garbage are gorgeous. I also had a few great conversations with locals, but not as many as I would've liked. I did not make any friends, which was a first for me as a traveler. I hated the feel of the cities themselves. Had a knife almost drawn a knife on me in Matagalpa until he saw I wasn't alone. Abso-fucking-lutely hated the tourist-tailored places like Selva Negra (other than the hiking) and the sanitized portions of Granada.

Took all the precautions with water and still got hemorrhagic enterocolitis. Glad I prescribed myself some cipro before going, saved my life/ass.

Thing is, if you want the Cancun experience of cheap beer, beaches, whores, and cruise ship excursion like 'adventures,' there are places where you can find it and have an unbelievable time. But that just isn't me. I try to experience what I'm able to of the local culture, and I found the people to be beaten down, closed off, and suspicious of foreigners. Made more local friends in Japan and I don't even speak Japanese.
>>
Reading through the thread, what many people say about Paris, I thought of Rome.

Rome was so overcrowded and the buildings so ornate, I got sick of them. I couldn't appreciate the "beauty" of the city because it was like all the architecture was screaming in my face. And with so many blacks trying to sell shit, you'd think "hello" in Italian was "selfi-stik?"

I visited Paris after Rome and was afraid it was going to be the same, if not worse. But I was surprised. Yes, it was touristy, but it was more open than Rome, and I timed my visits to the Tower and the Louvre to avoid the crowds (protip: the Louvre is open late on Wednesday, that's the best time to go).

Admittedly, part of why it wasn't so bad was because I was crashing at a buddy's place in La Garenne, so I could just Metro every day to where I wanted to go. Also, I saw the fireworks at the Tower on Bastille Day, shit was so cash.

My RealTraveller advice: wear some nice pants, dress like a local.
>>
>>1103560
get a load of this faggot, everyone
>>
>>1103965
>My RealTraveller advice: wear some nice pants, dress like a local.

This is actually good advice for anywhere. Dressing like a local almost always makes the experience better by somewhat deterring the scam artists and touts and opening up the possibility that other locals might want to get to know you because you look like you belong.
>>
Phuket, Thailand

The whole city smells like sewage and the good made me sick. Probably an actually fun place though. i just didn't like it
>>
>>1103965
I have to agree. All the shit-talkin' one hears about Paris I found in my experience to be largely untrue or exaggerated, but I then DID experience in Rome.

Rude and snivelling waiters (all the time -- too many stories to tell), a lot of dirty decrepit areas (the metro in Rome is total shite), desperate nigs/pakis/gypsies hassling you to buy shit... The ancient stuff is cool and worth seeing, and some of the more prominent Catholic stuff if that's what you're into. But 'modern Rome' is a let down, and similarly all the baroque elements just became too much and lost in architectural noise.

Whereas I'd go back to Paris, Rome feels like one of those "been there, done that, whatever..." places.
>>
>>1103977
>>1103965
Yeah because those italians would never be caught dead in shorts!

My RealTraveler advice: In Europe, Asia and America - dress how you want and be comfortable. Maybe in Africa or South America you should dress like a local to be on the safe side, but in Europe thats totally unnecessary
>>
I'm not calling this my worse city by far, but I have absolutely 0 interest in going back to Barcelona.
>>
>>1104021
I could dress like a local in Africa but it won't do much being master race in crowd of negritos
>>
>>1104021
Well I can say for a fact if you dress like a tourist in Tokyo you will have a much harder time making local friends and plenty of missed opportunities to meet local people. It's an image-conscious city and you dress to reflect who you are, if you dress like you don't belong then that's how you will be treated. You won't be treated badly, mind you, you just won't get as many people your age talking to you about who you are, what you do, why you're there, etc.

Actually, you know what, dress how you want, it doesn't matter. If you wanna dress in graphic tees, cargo shorts, and old adidas then you won't know you're missing out on anything, you'll just thing the locals are cold because it's their culture or something, so whatever.
>>
File: 1390422350556.jpg (11 KB, 207x340) Image search: [Google]
1390422350556.jpg
11 KB, 207x340
Marrakech

>Dirty
>Ugly
>People treated animals like shit
>People harassing my then gf
>Food tastes like shit
>>
>>1103270
Wow TIDF in full effect

Face it fag, Toronto is not special nor memorable. It's a watered down over hyped version of things you can find better in other towns. There are cities with 1/10th the population that are more interesting.

Just give up dude. Toronto is shit

>inb4 MUH multiculturalism

Dude that's not a good thing.
>>
>>1104034

I couldn't agree with you more. Especially for men, it's vital to dress like a local in Tokyo. So, guys, get your Japanese look together -- wear a cheap black polyester suit (it's important that this cost no more than US$200), a plain white artificial fiber shit, and a pair of cheap black leather shoes that are at least 2 sizes too big for you. Then, first thing you do when you arrive, go to a conbini and buy a necktie there. Voila! You now look exactly like 40% of the Tokyo population!
>>
>>1102878

I didn't feel like there was much to do there. I was quote cold and sterile. I work on the Isle of Dogs in London and it has a very similar vibe

It has quite a chill bar scene though and the architecture is sort of cool but it feels ultra corporate

Amsterdam is touristy but it has a lot more personality
>>
>>1103648
Whoa, what's Dniepropetrovsk like? I read about Kiev and Chernobyl on /trv/, but nowhere else in Ukraine.

Not on topic, but /pol/'s invaded so I think it's fair.
>>
>>1103945

Unless you count Canada and getting deployed I've never been out of the U.S. While, I'm not opposed to cheap beer and whores, I'd be interested in seeing native people who aren't serving me drinks and what not. Old architecture would be cool, though I heard basically any capital city in Central America is shit.

I do have an aversion to shitting my guts out and/or getting stabbed. And I don't speak Spanish aside from being able to count to 8 and knowing how to start a fight.
>>
>>1102863

>ran into a literal furry convention in Berlin
>>
>>1102863
German cities are for the most part souless and horrible, Berlin was one of the few that felt it had some character but its such a weird plan and has so much wrong with it that I still don't like this.
>>
>>1104158

German cities are cool. Berlin is a degenerate shithole overrun with Anglo expats and various other "alternative" crowd people.
>>
>>1102944
>>1102963
>>1103031
>>1103062

Is there like a anti-Paris board that shills this or have you people genuinely never left your flyover states?

Maybe its because I live in the UK but Paris is no more diverse than London, Amsterdam, Brussels etc... And it has far better attractions, food than these cities for tourists.

There are tonnes of ppl selling shit but really getting harassed by gypsies and shit outside of Louvre? Do you fucking walk around obese as fuck with a U.S hat on and a 50 dollar note hanging out of your back pocket? Even still I've been to Paris 5 times and I've never seen any of this shit. Maybe it is a U.S thing but most European cities have this shit, Berlin had tonnes of muslim beggers and gypsies for example.

Parisians are normal city people like Londoners or NYC people so what? And are you bitches or what, Paris is pretty safe its the most tourist filled city in the world probably how the fuck do you not feel safe?
>>
>>1104034
This was surprising for me in Tokyo, I am reasonably fit and dress well and even though I'm clearly foreign I didn't feel like i was standing out and that I was treated strangely. My friend who is close to obese and dresses like a 12 year old (like the average weeb) had some comments and strange looks however which was a bit embarrassing for me in the end.

>>1104021
Shorts are less common in Italy than you might think... It helps not to be an obese autistics with shorts and a camera which i imagine most of the trv americans look like
>>
>>1104060
I'm from Toronto (as is my mom), but moved (out of the country) many years ago. It's not about whether it's 'memorable or special' or not (no city in Canada is, IMO. Montreal is rundown and fading fast -- Hongcouver is OK, but just Seattle - Chinese Edition). It's easy to have a good time in TO, it's a city that doesn't really hype itself it all, and it's a nice place to live if you can afford it. It is what it is, and lots of people like it just fine. The 'Toronto is a shit' meme is really old and overplayed, usually by butthurt provincials. Enjoy huffing gas out of bags in glorious Sudbury.
>>
>>1104174

I'm not saying its a good thing its just that this is par for the course for most European cities so I don't know why Paris gets more shit than others for it.
>>
File: brampton.jpg (647 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
brampton.jpg
647 KB, 1024x768
>>1103270
I never said Markham, Mississauga, Brampton, Oshawa are a part of Toronto. I called them the cities surrounding Toronto.

I am well aware of the amalgamation of Toronto. I just believe that what constitutes Old Toronto is a better place to spend time in than Scarborough, EY, North York, Etobicoke, York in general.

Brush up on your reading comprehension

The thread asked what the worst city you've ever been to is. I visited places all over North America and by far the worst urban sprawl I've seen is in the GTA. So I have had the least amount of good experiences in those places so they make them the worst cities to me.
>>
>>1104164
Wait what? You've never seen the black people selling stuff outside every major tourist attraction in Paris? Or the gypos trying to pickpocket you by asking you to do a questionnaire or constantly being asked if you speak English?

I'm from the same "flyover state" as you, the UK and even I can't pretend these things don't exist.
>>
>>1103595
Idk man I just googled that city and the graph is siccc
>>
>>1104087

If you're intent on Central America, then, I'd recommend Costa Rica. Friendlier, prettier, and you should be able to get by a little better without Spanish. Still be hard to get an authentic experience without speaking the language, though - I can count the number of local people I met in Nicaragua who were fluent in English on one hand.
>>
Philadelphia, PA. Literally its only redeeming feature is the lovely suburbs surrounding it.
>>
>>1104308

I thought about there or SE Asia. I want to get out of the NE US for the winter and I'd like to go somewhere that isn't some fancy whitebread resort.
>>
>>1103119
>>1103220
>good parks, good cycling, better beer than Ottawa
I agree, it's not a great city, but there you go.
>>
>>1104309
Theres nothing worse than people that go to the suburbs of a world famous city.

Also Chinks
>>
>>1102861
Detroit

I don't think I need to go into details
>>
>>1104171
Toronto is not a bad city. The waterfront area is pleasure to stroll along and the islands are a great hang out spot on a sunny Summer day. I wouldn't mind living there for half the year if I was rich enough and then head south for the Winter. I just hope the Canadian government severely curtails immigration but that's probably wishful thinking under the current cuck administration. Whites (the job producers and tax payers) are quickly becoming a minority in Toronto.
>>
>>1104262
Backpedal a little more, bro.

It's also untrue. Most of what will attract visitors is downtown, but there are things worth checking out beyond 'Old Toronto'. Generally still within the 416 though... foreign visitors don't really need to see the 905, although there are still a few gems scattered around.

I've been all over North America too, and although the urban sprawl here is bad ("You're a developer? Do whatever you want, it's cool!"), I've definitely seen worse in parts of the US. At least in Toronto's sprawl you still have a mix of independent shops, mixed density dwellings (not entirely huge single-occupancy McMansions -- although more than enough still) and there's an attempt at public transit (if not always very convenient). There are identical 100%-franchise cookie-cutter sprawl templates all over the US. They're a side effect of wealth in the 20th century, and in North America at least, you'll find them anywhere money is being generated. Toronto is not special in this regard, as was earlier claimed.

>>1104355
The problem is that Canada only has three cities of worth. Montreal has crazy French-language laws which tend to keep many immigrants away (except for Arabs and Africans who speak French -- lel). Vancouver is even farther away from 'home', unless you're Asian. There's Alberta and its oil money, but it's cultureless and often backward. But I still agree, there's too many immigrants in Toronto. Infrastructure and services can't really keep up, and prices for property are already astronomical. I'm not opposed to immigration per se, but I am extremely skeptical when it's for purely economical means (as it is now) and little consideration is given to the social fabric. I grew up in a very multi-ethnic neighbourhood (mostly immigrants were Chinese, Koreans, Russian-Jews, Persians and a smattering of Caribbean islanders), but visiting home nowadays is even more unrecognizable.
>>
File: images (86).jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (86).jpg
21 KB, 470x313
Moyale, Ethiopia. Rundown dump of a border town in the middle of nowhere. It seems like the majority of the male population is out of work and spends their days chewing khat and getting high. If they're not junkies, they're scummy touts who give you shit rates on your Ethiopian birr to Kenyan shilling conversion because hahahah, the Ethiopian gov doesn't let you take more that 100 birr ($5 USD) out of the country! Did I mention it's dusty as fuck and the hotels look like they have gone through a civil war.
>>
>>1104419
Did you cross into Kenya from there? How was the road?
>>
>>1104420
Yes i did. I caught a 14 hour bus ride from the border to Nairobi. Pretty easy besides the fact that the bus stops at military checkpoints every 30 mins to check the IDs of EVERYONE on the bus. The roads are pretty shit, but the Chinks have come in and fixed them up nicely, in some cases built them, over the years. Roads are a lot nicer on the Kenyan side as the roads turn to gravel at times on the Ethiopian side.
>>
>>1103119
Whats so bad about gatineau? Im asking beacause im going to stay over there for a few weeks
>>
>>1103648
Adelaide boring but the rural surrounds are dope af if you like wine and cheese n shit. Plus unless you know someone who actually know their way around the city you're gonna have a shit time.
>>
I think if anybody visited my city (Birmingham, UK) it will probably be pretty high on their lists of worst places.

For the second biggest city, it really has nothing. Cadbury world, a shopping centre and err its close to Stratford? Is there any other developed country, where the second city has almost no tourism?

Manchester is shit too, but at least that has stuff for Football fans
>>
File: IMAG0362.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0362.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>1104073
I'm really enjoying it. Initially getting off the train the place looked incredibly run down. The reflection of Kolomoisky.. but further into the city centre it's great. Pretty clean and the dniper river is awesome. Pic related, from yesterday
>>
Phnom Penh Cambodia is a trashy shithole excuse of a capitol city. Sure, the drugs and hookers are cheap and easy, and its generally cheap as fuck. But unless thats the sole reason for your trip there, it should be avoided. Scams and theft is rampant and if you plan on driving on the roads, it is literally chaos in the streets (a lot of which are crumbling or just plain dirt)
>>
>>1104440
I was there for a good 2 months, maybe longer working on the Clipsal 500. My issue is that it could just be another city in some western country and had very little spark to it except an abundance of weed
>>
>>1104428

It's boring and everything is very far apart, thus necessitating a vehicle for any real sightseeing (sightseeing in Gat lol).

Bussing is easy, easier than Ottawa anyway, but everything is in french for the most part so keep that in mind. Stay away from the Tache area, it's ghetto.

Roll through the plateau area to see colonization in reverse: natives from northern Quebec as far as the eye can see. Surprisingly it's one of the nicest, quietest places in Gatineau and the only theatre in the area is located there.

Don't expect much: it's another cookie-cutter north american city with plazas, strip malls and boulevards everywhere. Boring suburb for the most part.
>>
Probably Lodz, an ugly and racist city
>>
>>1104460
Black American detected.
>>
File: milton-keynes.jpg (330 KB, 950x350) Image search: [Google]
milton-keynes.jpg
330 KB, 950x350
Probably Paris is the worst in all of Europe - and I am not a fatclap that has barely travelled around this continent, I am British and have travelled it heavily.

A bonus one would be Milton Keynes, UK.

It was built in the late 1960s due to overspill from London, and designed with the American city as its basis - e.g. straight roads, designed primarily for cars, disgusting architecture.

The only difference is at EVERY intersection is a roundabout. You literally get dizzy driving around this shithole.

If you ever want to experience city planning causing you to projectile vomit then give this place a visit.
>>
>>1104460
>tfw you will never have to worry about racism in Eastern Europe
>>
>>1104460
Oy vey
It's pretty much Poland's little Detroit. Same "booming industrial city gone to shit overnight" story.
>>
>>1104446
The UK is absolutely pathetic for second cities. They are just "diverse" industrial wastelands. London is so much more interesting than anything.

Honestly the UK's cathedral cities are so much nicer than anything major

>>1104286
That wasn't what i meant, the exist but it isn't nearly as devastating to the experience as these people make out, I've had the questionnaire shit over Germany, Austria and Italy. And black people selling stuff is horrendous yes but somewhere like Florence is so much worst for that and that doesn't come up here.

It doesn't make it dangerous or at risk just fucking ignore them or wave them off, people make it sound like they are risking life and limb to go near these places. Last time i went to Louvre was summer 2015 and I didn't even see a single degenerate doing such things and it was proper busy.
>>
>>1102944
>i went to the tourist center of Paris for one night and it sucked, therefore Paris sucks
>i went to Times Square for one night and it sucked, therefore New York City sucks
>i went to Michigan Ave for one night and it sucked, therefore Chicago sucks
>i went to Buckingham Palace and got bored, therefore London sucks

You sound like a retard
>>
>>1104508
Out of interest, what does Paris have outside the tourist centre?

I think you don't mean a physical area, but the popular tourist sites so why would you recommend? I travel to Paris a lot these days but have ran out of things to do, so would be happy to see some cool stuff
>>
>>1104498
I can't speak about the other places, but I did feel genuinely uncomfortable on the Paris metro. Especially at the train station you have to transfer at coming from CDG. I genuinely felt like I was in Africa and that was a little frightening, i'm sure that I wasn't in any real danger. But I can understand what the others are saying.

Especially when you go to Paris with a certain idea in your mind and all of a sudden you find yourself holding on to your bags and checking your pockets.
>>
>>1104551
Sounds so awful that you had to be around black people with the only bad thing happening being the stereotypes you made up in your mind
>>
>>1104569
Can you not see the problem in racially replacing the natives of one country with those of other continents in the space of a hundred years?
>>
>>1104508

Not that guy; but you sound like a... Parisian. An ill-humored Parisian.
>>
>>1102944
I actually had some fun in Paris whn I was 13, visited the must see places and such. What made it less good is that literally no one knew English (Thankfully, my dad knew French)
Also, I remember it being awfully expensive
>>
>>1104551
Yeh the metro can be pretty bad but then again I'm used to the underground and it being about 10-15% british whites at times. Honestly the black Africans concern me far less on somewhere like the metro than Maghrebs.

Holding your bags/pockets is a good call in any European city not just Paris, places in EE/Italy/Spain are worst for that stuff.
>>
>>1104583
Good topic for /pol/, getting out of the topic of /trv/
>>
>>1104583
The country no longer fits your stereotypes?
>>
>>1103977

Nice advice. Just let me warn you about a few things I see tourists getting wrong when trying to look like a local since I moved to Rio de Janeiro 8 years ago.

> Snickers
Some tourists' snickers are too clean and new, while some are too ragged/dirty (a signal that you're either a backpacker or are a really rich touri$t trying too hard). It's also okay to wear cheap shoes - local white-collar workers do it. You can wear socks with cheap shoes, but you can't do it if you're wearing snickers.

> Shirts
People from São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Brasilia and South Region sometimes wear black shirts and shirts with slogans in English or rock/hip-hop motives. Rio people don't. Also, Rio people don't put the fringe inside the pants, and using those nice shirts with "touristy" motives like Carmen Miranda, tropical fruits/birds, Amazon Rainforest, beaches, African orixás/sculptures, black women carrying things over their heads, fishermen, etc. or simply having the "Rio" word will flag you like Hawaiian ones.

> Tan
If your legs aren't tanned at least like those of people from California, Florida, Australia or
Mediterranean beaches, try to wear pants (I know, Rio is too hot even for a half of Brazilians, including myself) or artificial tanning. Do not even try to tan yourself too fast - you will be visible petty criminals and touts from kilometers of distance (what a "red" flag!).
>>
>>1104158
Have you been to some west german cities? Theyre a little better looking
>>
>>1104667
>Snickers
Made me giggle, but you mean 'sneakers', not the chocolate bar.
>>
File: sneakersSnickers.png (28 KB, 228x125) Image search: [Google]
sneakersSnickers.png
28 KB, 228x125
>>1104687

Ooops! My bad!...
>>
>>1104164
>diverse
>enriched
>lel it's your fault for being a tourist
fuck off,sometimes I miss flags
>>
>>1103084
> I don't do what I don't wanna do
>I do what I want to do and that's that
just stay at home and save your money
>>
>>1104701
Why would I stay at home because I do what I want to do?
>>
>>1104667
I wouldn't recommend sneakers for traveling. Usually you want something study, but nondescript, I had black timberlands for a while, they were great under pants because you can't tell what they are or what condition they're in, they just look like black shoes.
>>
>>1103064
pretty much this. The sky scrapers is for workers, then you gtfo at 5pm. Anyways all the nightlife(if you know where to find it) is the same across the US between the coasts, not really for tourists, tourists should visit the National parks and even some of the state parks.
>>
>>1103073
>aren't the cities still liveable if you go to a neighborhood center
no.
but it's not /trl/ related. Basically some 'social history' caused anyone with money to gtfo to a safer area.
>>
>>1104475
>milton-keynes
that looks like a town buiild/zoned using simcity2000
>>
>>1103080
>etc.

Either continue listing the cities, or just stop posting. No one knows what cities you mean by saying "etc" and you're just wasting everyone's time with your shitpost.
>>
>>1103081
This was true 50 years ago, it was pretty true 20 years ago. Its not remotely true anymore
>>
>>1103057
I loved havana, but i had friend who is local as a guide, so they could not rip me off. did not pay more than maybe 15 green for one thing at time.
>>1103438 for like 20 bucks most cute ladies would take you to her home, take care for you overnight and in the morning her parrents would make you breakfast. Of course if you would be cool tor them. be rude and she would tell you to gtfo
>>
>>1104817
Do you literally want the entire list of cities that could be exceptions? 5 wasn't enough for you to get the idea? Do you have any capacity to think and research for yourself or do you prefer all your information spoon-fed to you like a baby? What kind of maniac complains about etc after the person already said 5 things.
>>
>>1104814

NO TO COOKIE-CUTTER ARCHITECTURE!

NO TO ROUNDABOUTS! NO MORE VOMIT!
>>
File: dont be a crybaby.jpg (10 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
dont be a crybaby.jpg
10 KB, 246x205
>>1104817

His explanations were pretty enlightening.

YOUR post is a waste of time - not his. People will post no matter if you like their posts or not :-PP
>>
>>1102944
Gotta agree with you on this one.
>>
Shanghai. I had high hopes but the major tourist destination was a riverside spot where you look at buildings, and there wasn't much else. The partying is mostly with other foreigners and hookers. Hotels are ridiculously overpriced ($100/night for a shithole that reeks of smoke). The people are the rudest I encountered in mainland China, even the people working in hospitality. The girls that I met up with from tinder were either scammers or too innocent.

The only thing redeeming about the city was the amazing happy ending that I got near my hotel. Girl had some incredible skill.
>>
>>1104498
Florence is such a fucking terrible place, holy fuck. I went for a daytrip from Milan (also shit because you have street vendors setting up toys on the floor inside the central station with the hope you'll break one and pay for it) but Florence is somehow worse because there are so many people, like, the landscape is nice, quaint almost but the crowds and noise detract from the gentle ambience of the city, like Copenhagen wasn't even that busy or crowded when I visited a week later and it's a capital city. So personally, I was slightly disappointed because I'd hoped to relax and quietly explore the area.

You know, just chill in the same way that you would if you went off, out into the hills for a day, kinda thing. Maybe that was my mistake though. I don't mean to sound pretentious but it is a small, cramped town and most of the residents seemed pretty jaded.
>>
>>1104448
Agreed. Spent 6 months in Asia and that was the only place I really felt like I was an idiot for walking for a short distance at night alone. Even during the daytime it was very sketchy away from the tourist area.

>>1103092
I can explain this. The Chinese are traveling because it's an important status symbol for them. They don't really care much about seeing things from other cultures - they generally don't have that kind of cultural curiosity. They wander around and look for selfie locations around the landmarks, then take pictures and upload them to WeChat (FB is blocked in China). It gains them face.

Not saying this isn't completely retarded - the whole culture has this backwards pursuit of wealth and status to a degree I haven't seen elsewhere.
>>
>>1105007
>Hoping to quietly explore anywhere in 2016

Cheap airfare has opened up travel to the lower class masses meaning every slightly interesting site will be overrun with selfie-stick wielding idiots. The golden age of travel is over. Every city is the same now. Thanks globalization.
>>
>>1105016
Although I'm an atheist (*tips fedora* but quiet about it), I can't help but always think that it's China's lack of religion that leads to its people being shamelessly materialistic and thinking only of this world. I dunno. Buddhism exists, but I guess is fairly sidelined there. Confucian thought is pretty open to shameless wealth acquisition too.

But even atheistic populations in the west are more compassionate and somewhat less greedy... Is it the 'culture of independence' that causes a reaction away from extremes of it? Meanwhile the Chinks see personal aggrandizement and visible wealth as the ultimates of recognition in a collectivist clone culture. I've always wondered.
>>
>>1105105
>Every city is the same now
Nah.

I live in a mid-size town in Germany. It's quaint, got buildings (either what wasn't bombed or was rebuilt entirely) from the medieval to the 1800s (and more modern, of course), a few somewhat larger historical spots, some semi-succesful local sports teams, plenty og underused 'nature' nearby... and there are basically no tourists here, ever.

75% of travellers (made up number alert) go where they think they're supposed to, which is capital cities, big name shit, etc. Plenty of lesser known places remain off the radar.

Also, IME the selfie-stick wielding idiots are just as often the more moneyed classes.
>>
>>1104498
I was in Florence last week and no one tried to even touch me, differently from the niggers on Sacre Coeur stairs
>>
>>1102944
This. I went to Paris and Barcelona on the last leg of a trip round Europe. Barcelona may have had whores and thieves everywhere, but it had friendly people, beautiful architecture, and perfect weather. Paris was just a toilet.
>>
>>1103084
there's a lot more to the louvre than classical art

the egyptian exhibits are absolutely amazing and rarely crowded
>>
>>1103435
because sometimes I don't know what the fuck I'm looking at but I'm captivated by a painting so I take a picture of all my favorite ones so I can remember them later

it's like a highlight reel of the best stuff
>>
Worst city I've ever been to is probably Phoenix, Az or one of the towns/glorified trailer parks in the Navajo Reservation. Really 'nihilistic' feel to those places, but in completely different ways

On the flipside to this thread, what's a city you thought would be shit but ended up loving?

mine would be Aswan in Egypt. just seemed really chill, friendlier and laid back compared to everywhere else in egpyt. kinda pretty too, what with all the sailboats going past on the Nile
>>
Welp for me it was definitely vancouver. Spent 1 month there and in the first week i realized that there wasnt much to do except explore the downtown area. You have stanley park, the most beautiful park i ever visited with its ripleys aquarium, the science museum and its mcdonauld a few night clubs and thats it. Fucked up skytrain system, fares everywhere, expensive restaurants and the smell of pot wherever you go. Rained most of the days, making you leave the house with umbrellas and jackets almost everyday.
>>
>>1103213
London was shit before the brownies came.
>>
>>1103654
Japan's naturalization and immigration laws are batching stupid.

It pretty much makes skilled immigration to the place a retarded venture to go for.
>>
>>1104026
Negritos don't exist in Africa retard
>>
Atlanta
Berlin
Naples
Stockholm
Salt Lake City
Cozumel
London

All super shitty IME. Stockholm was probably the best of the bunch if taken from a non-tourist perspective.
>>
>>1105154
Is Stockholm a case if 'nice to live in but nothing to see travel-wise' ?
>>
>>1105158
that's how I felt about it. First thing I saw after getting off the bus from the airport was a big ass billboard featuring nicole richie so that sort of set me off on the wrong path. It's very americanized, very clean, and very sterile. By far the coolest thing was the vasa museum. I stayed there a week (was trying to get to helsinki but the ferry fell through) and just kind of walked around to the parks and along the water and went on a few runs through the residential areas. The women were beyond gorgeous but 95% of them had baby strollers. Never could really find the nightlife or decent food so spent the nights cooking and playing games at the hostel with other tourists.

This guy appears to think otherwise: http://thehungrypartier.com/ultimate-guide-to-the-nightlife-in-stockholm/

but as you can see most of the nightlife are clubs with people dressed up in suits so I just don't really get it, I suppose
>>
>>1105131

Dallas. Which is good, cause I'm moving there.

In other countries, though, I'd have to say Fukuoka. Everyone told me I was wasting time from my trip going out that far for a shitty city with nothing to offer; ended up having a better time there than Osaka and Kyoto, met some great people, should've stayed longer.
>>
>>1105154

I actually enjoyed SLC quite a bit. Probably because I was expecting an awful, homogeneous, uptight Mormon city and instead got a homogeneous, beautiful (when there's no inversion) city next to snowy mountains, only half-filled with uptight Mormons. Low expectations and all that jazz.
>>
>>1105170
I've been there twice and just get creeped out by it

it's so soulless for less of a better word

the great salt lake was the biggest meme tourist destination I've ever been to
>>
>>1105173

I found a nice coffee and tea shop/bookstore run by a same-sex couple, where I had one of the best cups of coffee that year. I went barhopping and chatted with people from all walks of life. I listened to local bands play all night long. I had some damn good and authentic Iranian food.

The soul's there, it's just buried under a mountain of blond hair and blue eyes.
>>
>>1105176
literally white-guilt the post holy shit
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.