[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solo trip to the US Virgin Islands?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.gif (63 KB, 583x646) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
63 KB, 583x646
Hey guys, so I was just looking up things to do in the US Virgin Islands, and it looks like a blast. Between the historical shit and water activities looks awesome to me. I've never been diving before, and they have ship wrecks you can go explore. I am thinking about going for 3 days in July. Only thing is, I'd be going alone. Is the US Islands designed for families/romantic get-aways? Or would a single guy like me have fun there?
>>
>>1122745
The only issue being alone is safety. It's offseason right now, so not as many tourists to be company everywhere, and the locals have desperate economic times (it's expensive to live on an island and work is hard to come by).
I am a solo diver. You will need to research the dive company well, because you will be alone with someone who is either incompetent or won't have someone up top or so on. If there are other people going in the boat, it's better for them to save on costs, just make sure you have the captain (or their spouse) as your buddy and not some other tourist. Pay for the privilege.
St. John has an underwater snorkel trail. No need to dive at all. This is paradise at 5-10ft deep. Go ahead and rent a jeep when you got off the ferry or bring one over, explore the national park, sugar ruins, hike a bit, and then finish at the beach at Trunk Bay and snorkel alone. It's right off shore, with underwater signs. You might spot a mongoose on the beach too. HUGE fish.

If you want the safest and loveliest thing you can do in all of the Caribbean, try Caymans. They have a decompression chamber, and the highest level of credentialing and safety among them all. It's a government priority. Low crime (genetically engineered mosquitos that erradicated Zika) gorgeous everything, and the island is a volcano tip, which gives a "wall" of a near vertical drop where you can do multiple types of dive depths in a single trip. Snorkel right offshore, and then the drop. Lots of wrecks. Again find a nice divemaster. Stingray city is pretty unique and cool experience. Protected reefs and early on fishing restrictions, and high penalties protected their waters unlike elsewhere. If you chicken out, you can take the submarine down the wall instead.
>>
>>1122754

>off season

I'd be going in July. But thanks for the advice anyways. It sounds really cool!

This might be a stupid question (I've never snorkeled or dived before). But do you have to get/be certified to do it? Even if you go with a licensed instructor? I'm not sure how it all works. I just think it would be sick to look at some shipwrecks off Saint Thomas.
>>
Just take a cruise, see if you like it first. Saves you a little money, plus you won't have to do everything alone. I've been on several cruises to many of the islands. I don't know if I would go there and stay though.
>>
>>1122774

that won't work because I'm not using vacation days at work. I'd just switch a day with someone and get 3-4 days off. So I don't really have any flexibility.
>>
>>1122745
So only virgins can visit?

In all seriousness, wouldn't that be a wonderful resort? An island that only virgins could sail to, meet each other, share a wonderful first experience together and then depart?
>>
>>1122789

Thailand?
>>
>>1122791
There are no virgins in Thailand.
>>
>>1122754

Yo I forgot to ask, so I've never been diving before. Do I have to get certified before I'd go? Or would a local dive shop down there give me a quick class and let me rent gear and I'd go underwater with a instructor during the dive? Like you mentioned, I wouldn't want to go alone, but could I pay a instructor to be like a guide or whatever for a wreck?

I have no idea how diving or any of that shit works. I was watching Travel Channel last night, and I need a vacation. I saw some people diving down there and it looks really fun to me
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.